Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Looney Tunes Volume 2: Contents Announced

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
139 replies to this topic

#1 of 140 ONLINE   Drew Salzan

Drew Salzan

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted May 01 2004 - 01:39 AM

Any news yet on this? Will the restorations include older shorts from the thirties with ORIGINAL titles instead of the Blue Ribbon reissues? Volume 1 was stellar, but I was a little disappointed that the older pre-1940's shorts were not included.

While I still rely on my trusty LD Box sets (vol.'s 1, 2 and 3), the prints used were, at best, inconsistent. The use of re-release prints in many of the cases has always irritated me as well.

#2 of 140 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,474 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted May 01 2004 - 07:19 AM

According to Leonard Maltin, the next set should have more older cartoons.

http://www.animation....t=ST&f=8&t=748

#3 of 140 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted May 01 2004 - 07:33 AM

Thanks for the update about this new set
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#4 of 140 OFFLINE   Charlie O.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted May 01 2004 - 07:51 AM

What's with Leonard Maltin and cartoon box sets?

#5 of 140 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 01 2004 - 09:01 AM

Pretty simple answer: he's primarily an animated film historian.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#6 of 140 OFFLINE   Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted May 01 2004 - 09:08 AM

He's a *fantastic* animation historian. I give him props for not being afraid to criticize his subject as well as praise...of all the people to review American animation and the films of Walt Disney (live action and animated), I routinely find I'm more in sync with Maltin than anyone else.

#7 of 140 OFFLINE   Charlie O.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted May 01 2004 - 09:49 AM

Quote:
Pretty simple answer: he's primarily an animated film historian

Really, I didn't know that. I thought he was just a film critic.

#8 of 140 OFFLINE   Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor

• 786 posts

Posted May 01 2004 - 01:08 PM

Maltin wrote the first in-depth history of Hollywood animation, "Of Mice and Magic."

Not many titles have been announced for the second set, but it has been mentioned that it will include "Horton Hatches the Egg" (the restored print -- Blue Ribbon, unfortunately, as the original titles aren't available -- can be seen on a Dr. Seuss DVD), and George Feltenstein mentioned in an interview that the popular musical shorts "I Love to Singa" (1936) and "One Froggy Evening" (1955) will be on the second set.

#9 of 140 OFFLINE   Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted May 01 2004 - 01:31 PM

I'm thankful for the info we have, and very much looking forward to learning more, this will be a must buy.

#10 of 140 OFFLINE   James L White

James L White

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted May 01 2004 - 02:49 PM

I love Vol. 1 but I really hope Vol. 2 has a lot of cayote & roadrunner shorts
Samsung HL-S5688W 56" DLP
Panasonic TC-P50X1 50" Plasma TV (bedroom)
Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD's
Panasonic BMP-BD60
Sony BDP300 Blu Rays (bedroom)

#11 of 140 OFFLINE   David Grove

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted May 01 2004 - 03:03 PM

I've always been a particular fan of Road Runner, too.

Not many titles have been announced for the second set, but it has been mentioned that it will include "Horton Hatches the Egg" (the restored print -- Blue Ribbon, unfortunately, as the original titles aren't available -- can be seen on a Dr. Seuss DVD), and George Feltenstein mentioned in an interview that the popular musical shorts "I Love to Singa" (1936) and "One Froggy Evening" (1955) will be on the second set.

Does anyone know why the original titles are not available? Have they been destroyed?

DG
"I think not," said Descartes, and disappeared.

#12 of 140 OFFLINE   Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted May 01 2004 - 03:23 PM

Many of the better WB cartoons were theatrically re-issued after a period of seven years or more. The re-issues were marketed to theaters as "Blue Ribbon" releases, to separate them out from new cartoons.

When Warner re-issued the cartoons, the original title sequences were removed, replaced with a shorter, static title card, and generic music. These changes were made to the original negatives of the cartoons decades ago.

Warner has attempted to restore title sequences when possible, by using original release prints either housed in the studio's collection at UCLA or from private collectors.

We'll probably see a few of these restored title sequences in the next collection, but due to surviving elements, I assume this will be the exception rather than the rule.

#13 of 140 OFFLINE   David Grove

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted May 01 2004 - 04:10 PM

Thanks for the info.

I really am ignorant with respect to how film "works". So, are you saying that the removed material was just thrown away. As in the trash can (literally)??? Is this routine in film editing??

DG

#14 of 140 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,474 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted May 01 2004 - 06:17 PM

When they re-issued the cartoons as Blue Ribbon Merrie Melodies, they cut the original openings from the negatives and discarded them. This was apparently done to the sucessive exposure negatives... UCLA holds the SEN to Feed the Kitty, yet the restoration has a Blue Ribbon opening (but with credits, like all post-1948 BR's).

It's not clear if they saved them or junked them. Perhaps there's a cache of film cans in a vault with all these nitrate trims....just don't hold your breath.

As a side-note, there's about a dozen or so actual prints that can be sourced off of for original openings. About a dozen Tex Avery Merrie Melodies had original nitrate dye-transfer frames discovered with original title artwork with about 2 frames worth of soundtrack. Some Bob Clampett cartoons also have surviving title artwork, but only the artwork itself.

#15 of 140 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted May 01 2004 - 08:39 PM

wow thanks for the clarification about SEN and the Blue Ribbon Merrie Melodies

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#16 of 140 OFFLINE   David Grove

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted May 01 2004 - 09:50 PM

Yes, thanks for the info. But, what is a successive exposure negative? Would they go through the animated feature, exposing each frame; then, reload with new unexposed stock, and do it all over again?

DG

#17 of 140 OFFLINE   Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

• 1,189 posts

Posted May 02 2004 - 01:43 AM

It was one method of shooting color film. Techicolor originally used three separarate pieces of film run side-by-side, each using a different color filter that when combined onto one frame on a print would result in the final full-color picture. But for purposes such as animation, where one was shooting something that wasn't moving (like an animation cel), one could expose one frame, change the filter, advance the film one frame and expose another, and then a third. So the negative would have the same image exposed three times in a row, each representing a different part of the color spectrum. Successive Exposure.

BTW "The Golden Age of Looney Tunes" was the name of the laserdics box set series; the new DVD set is called "The Golden Collection." Posted Image
-Jay

#18 of 140 OFFLINE   David Grove

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted May 02 2004 - 10:14 AM

Ohhh. I see.

So the successive exposure negatives are the absolute originals. So, Patrick is saying that, since restored versions, which presumably would be based on the original negatives (the SENs), have the altered titles, therefore logic would dictate that the BR title alterations were made to the SENs. Thus, unless the actual excised film still exists in some unknown location, the only possible way to recover the original titles is from any prints (from the original SENs) that may still exist.

Got it.

Thank you.

DG

#19 of 140 OFFLINE   Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor

• 786 posts

Posted June 19 2004 - 11:20 AM

I haven't seen anyone post this here (maybe I missed it), but TVShowsondvd.com just posted this list of the 60 cartoons to be included on the second Looney Tunes Golden Collection. It includes many more pre-1948 cartoons, including a good selection of Bob Clampett cartoons and Chuck Jones' masterpiece "The Dover Boys," Road Runner/Coyote and Tweety/Sylvester retrospectives, and lots of other good stuff.

#20 of 140 OFFLINE   Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts

Posted June 19 2004 - 12:22 PM

That's a fabulous list considering the extensive shorts catalogue.

I see, though, that none of the WWII-era cartoons are in this collection - when WB cartoons were at their brash best. I hope they are considered for the next wave or at least given a special edition not unlike the latest Disney Wave "OTFL" set.
I don't like SPAM!