Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Hey Universal, can we get a James Whale collection?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Matt Stieg

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator

• 228 posts

Posted May 29 2004 - 07:01 AM

The only James Whale films that have been easily available over the years are his four horror films, but he's got some other wonderful films that deserve to be widely seen. Where are DVD releases of Remember Last Night?, Show Boat, One More River, Impatient Maiden, By Candlelight, Port of Seven Seas (a movie which has not been seen in long, long time), and The Man in the Iron Mask? These are great films that deserve to be on home video and DVD. Though Universal has proven to us how incompetent they are in the world of DVD, so I guess it's no good hoping.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted May 29 2004 - 10:21 AM

A Special Edition of "Show Boat" is what I want real bad! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   James David Walley

James David Walley

Stunt Coordinator

• 149 posts

Posted May 29 2004 - 09:17 PM

Likewise! The 1950s color version just doesn't cut it, especially since they messed with the story.
Raven Falls Photography
Nature, Architecture, and Fine-Art Images

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 8,052 posts

Posted May 30 2004 - 02:46 AM

Showboat is a WB property.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted May 30 2004 - 04:08 AM

PORT OF SEVEN SEAS was an MGM remake of Pagnol's FANNY (trilogy?) with a script by Preston Sturges. I have requested it several times to TCM, but I wonder if it is lost or if there is a "rights" issue. It has a fascinating cast (Wallace Beery, Frank Morgan, John Beal, Maureen O'Sullivan, Jerry Colonna). The Joshua Logan WB remake of FANNY (1961) would be a good bet for restoration on dvd and has many virtues (Cardiff photography, Boyer, Chevalier, and a great score derived from a Broadway musical version). KINO is bringing out a 4 disc boxed set of the original trilogy plus a disc of perks on 6/15.. As a big Preston Sturges fan, has anybody ever seen the 1938 PORT OF SEVEN SEAS?
Charles Hoyt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users