Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Store pays for breaking street date

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
58 replies to this topic

#1 of 59 Terry H

Terry H

Second Unit

• 319 posts

Posted May 20 2004 - 11:28 AM

Quote:
Warner Home Video, the DVD distributor of "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King," has suspended all home video shipments to international retailer Electronics Boutique for allegedly selling the Oscar-winning title 10 days before its agreed-upon May 25 release date.

http://www.thehollyw...._id=1000514721

See, it can happen. Posted Image

#2 of 59 EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,454 posts

Posted May 20 2004 - 02:10 PM

I wish more studios took this seriously. Let's keep the playing field even, OK?

#3 of 59 Chris Will

Chris Will

Supporting Actor

• 729 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted May 20 2004 - 02:36 PM

I'm glad I bought a copy from my local EB yesterday then!!!! I just couldn't wait another day to see this movie again.

#4 of 59 Mark Kalzer

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit

• 443 posts

Posted May 20 2004 - 02:42 PM

No big loss. EB has never been much of a DVD seller. Prices are always high even for previously viewed. I've barely known them to stock much new release material at all in the first place.
- Mark Kalzer

#5 of 59 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,179 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted May 20 2004 - 04:17 PM

Quote:
Let's keep the playing field even, OK?
What's to keep even? I don't understand the street date business. Why shouldn't stores sell as soon as they can. The store with the most efficient supply chain would "win" (get the most early sales).

#6 of 59 MatS

MatS

Screenwriter

• 1,599 posts

Posted May 20 2004 - 04:24 PM

BIG deal Posted Image

talk to me when a studio gets the balls to put a retailer with purchasing power like Walmart or Best Buy on hold for street date violations

oh yeah, I don't expect to be hearing from you anytime soon

#7 of 59 EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,454 posts

Posted May 20 2004 - 04:32 PM

talk to me when a studio gets the balls to put a retailer with purchasing power like Walmart or Best Buy on hold for street date violations

I completely agree.

#8 of 59 Mark Hamilton

Mark Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator

• 122 posts

Posted May 20 2004 - 04:45 PM

I'm pretty sure Wal-Mart and Best Buy don't condone mass street date violations on MAJOR titles. All retailers will occasionally have a store put out a title or two early now and then, it happens. I can tell you from experience, Best Buy is EXTREMELY serious about street dates. Associates who contribute to a violation won't be around for long.

#9 of 59 Chris Will

Chris Will

Supporting Actor

• 729 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted May 20 2004 - 05:05 PM

Who cares? I paid $25 for which is most likely going to be about $10 more then Wal Mart and Best Buy sell it for. Only nuts like me would do that!! The studio will still get its money, it is not like they are giving it away. There is going to be hundreds of thosands of these fling off the shelf on Tuesday. Best Buy and Wal Mart will still sell there share. They are probably the ones complaining the most anyway. Each EB store most likely had only a handful to begin with so it is not like millons were sold. All but 3 of the stores in Orlando claim they didn't even have the DVD.

Oh yea, Wal Mart violates street dates all the time around here. They just don't do it on the major titles so no one cares or notices.

#10 of 59 Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter

• 1,365 posts

Posted May 20 2004 - 06:46 PM

Mark Hamilton:

Yup. I worked at Target, and now Best Buy, and the only way something will break street date is if there is an accident. I had the movie in my HAND, but I obviously could not buy it. I will survive.

Come on, if a BIG retailer started selling thousands of these things early, do they really think the producers will not notice? Word gets out, and the more that leak, the more chance it will be found (like EB)

#11 of 59 Dax P

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted May 20 2004 - 07:15 PM

Question: Do some big rental chains have some kind of immunity on street dates? Always see some big titles the weekend before their Tuesday release, and wonder how the hell they get away with it...

#12 of 59 Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted May 20 2004 - 08:36 PM

XXXX put Adventures of Ford Fairlane in the $5.88 bin more than a month before it was supposed to come out. YYYY put the Predator/Predator 2 2-pack out weeks before Predator 2 was supposed to hit. The latter was obviously an accident and they didn't stay out. Not sure about the former, but I do remember not being allowed to talk about it in the $5.88 bin thread. Nothing happended to either of them, but these were hardly major releases.

Names of retailers edited out by moderator. Please don't spoil it for us all! - Cees Alons
My Collection

#13 of 59 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,547 posts

Posted May 20 2004 - 11:49 PM

It's not about the studio's money. It's meant as a protection for smaller retailers to cope with the fact that the studios cannot possibly send all shipments at the same time. So they would have bad luck if they happened to be the ones on who's doorstep it arrived a bit later. It's an agreement between studios and retailers, to protect the latter as a group.

And we're not going to publish those names if one of them occasionally breaks the street date anyway (meaning: (1) no telling and (2) no free publicity). Please read our rules.

Cees

#14 of 59 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted May 21 2004 - 01:44 AM

Quote:
It's meant as a protection for smaller retailers

Smaller retailers - Hah ha ha ha! What smaller retailers? Is there a time machine involved? Are these magic noodles?
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#15 of 59 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted May 21 2004 - 02:09 AM

Quote:
Why shouldn't stores sell as soon as they can. The store with the most efficient supply chain would "win" (get the most early sales).
And that would be a BAD thing.

#16 of 59 Marc_Sulinski

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor

• 561 posts

Posted May 21 2004 - 02:49 AM

Quote:
Why shouldn't stores sell as soon as they can. The store with the most efficient supply chain would "win" (get the most early sales).

For some stores, I don't know if it is a supply chain issue that they can control. Some of them are waiting for the distributer to send them, not a different division of the same company.

#17 of 59 Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,263 posts

Posted May 21 2004 - 03:02 AM

The local Borders had a cart of ROTK behind the counter with big signs on it saying "No one touches these until 5/25 under penalty of death." Posted Image I didn't see any gaps in the shelving either.

#18 of 59 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,506 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted May 21 2004 - 03:40 AM

Local outlets of the big-name rental chain had ROTK for sale this week already. I'd like to see WB crack down on them. Imagine them not having the next "Harry Potter" for sale or rental come holiday season? Posted Image
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#19 of 59 Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted May 21 2004 - 03:52 AM

Quote:
Smaller retailers - Hah ha ha ha! What smaller retailers? Is there a time machine involved? Are these magic noodles?

Aren't in the midwest are you?

My parents live in a Pop 600 town.. no stores.. the nearest walmart is 35 miles.

However, in a town near to them, about 8 miles, is a smaller video store (called Tim's Ice Cream & Rental) where they also sell videos/DVDs. The town that it's in is pop. 2,900, so slightly bigger. Posted Image

But yes, there are still plenty of small retailers out there Posted Image
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#20 of 59 Chad R

Chad R

Screenwriter

• 2,174 posts

Posted May 21 2004 - 06:20 AM

What's to keep even? I don't understand the street date business. Why shouldn't stores sell as soon as they can. The store with the most efficient supply chain would "win" (get the most early sales).

The same reason there's monopoly laws. You don't want one corporation becoming too powerful, putting its competition out of business, and then controlling prices. It's not good for the economy. Street date is a small aspect of that, but the theory holds just as true.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow