What's new

Store pays for breaking street date (1 Viewer)

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I'm glad I bought a copy from my local EB yesterday then!!!! I just couldn't wait another day to see this movie again.

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
No big loss. EB has never been much of a DVD seller. Prices are always high even for previously viewed. I've barely known them to stock much new release material at all in the first place.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What's to keep even? I don't understand the street date business. Why shouldn't stores sell as soon as they can. The store with the most efficient supply chain would "win" (get the most early sales).

MatS

Screenwriter
BIG deal :rolleyes

talk to me when a studio gets the balls to put a retailer with purchasing power like Walmart or Best Buy on hold for street date violations

oh yeah, I don't expect to be hearing from you anytime soon

Mark Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
I'm pretty sure Wal-Mart and Best Buy don't condone mass street date violations on MAJOR titles. All retailers will occasionally have a store put out a title or two early now and then, it happens. I can tell you from experience, Best Buy is EXTREMELY serious about street dates. Associates who contribute to a violation won't be around for long.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Who cares? I paid $25 for which is most likely going to be about $10 more then Wal Mart and Best Buy sell it for. Only nuts like me would do that!! The studio will still get its money, it is not like they are giving it away. There is going to be hundreds of thosands of these fling off the shelf on Tuesday. Best Buy and Wal Mart will still sell there share. They are probably the ones complaining the most anyway. Each EB store most likely had only a handful to begin with so it is not like millons were sold. All but 3 of the stores in Orlando claim they didn't even have the DVD.

Oh yea, Wal Mart violates street dates all the time around here. They just don't do it on the major titles so no one cares or notices.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Mark Hamilton:

Yup. I worked at Target, and now Best Buy, and the only way something will break street date is if there is an accident. I had the movie in my HAND, but I obviously could not buy it. I will survive.

Come on, if a BIG retailer started selling thousands of these things early, do they really think the producers will not notice? Word gets out, and the more that leak, the more chance it will be found (like EB)

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator
Question: Do some big rental chains have some kind of immunity on street dates? Always see some big titles the weekend before their Tuesday release, and wonder how the hell they get away with it...

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
XXXX put Adventures of Ford Fairlane in the $5.88 bin more than a month before it was supposed to come out. YYYY put the Predator/Predator 2 2-pack out weeks before Predator 2 was supposed to hit. The latter was obviously an accident and they didn't stay out. Not sure about the former, but I do remember not being allowed to talk about it in the $5.88 bin thread. Nothing happended to either of them, but these were hardly major releases.

Names of retailers edited out by moderator. Please don't spoil it for us all! - Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
It's not about the studio's money. It's meant as a protection for smaller retailers to cope with the fact that the studios cannot possibly send all shipments at the same time. So they would have bad luck if they happened to be the ones on who's doorstep it arrived a bit later. It's an agreement between studios and retailers, to protect the latter as a group.

And we're not going to publish those names if one of them occasionally breaks the street date anyway (meaning: (1) no telling and (2) no free publicity). Please read our rules.

Cees

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

Smaller retailers - Hah ha ha ha! What smaller retailers? Is there a time machine involved? Are these magic noodles?

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor

For some stores, I don't know if it is a supply chain issue that they can control. Some of them are waiting for the distributer to send them, not a different division of the same company.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The local Borders had a cart of ROTK behind the counter with big signs on it saying "No one touches these until 5/25 under penalty of death." :D I didn't see any gaps in the shelving either.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Local outlets of the big-name rental chain had ROTK for sale this week already. I'd like to see WB crack down on them. Imagine them not having the next "Harry Potter" for sale or rental come holiday season? :eek:

Chris

Senior HTF Member

Aren't in the midwest are you?

My parents live in a Pop 600 town.. no stores.. the nearest walmart is 35 miles.

However, in a town near to them, about 8 miles, is a smaller video store (called Tim's Ice Cream & Rental) where they also sell videos/DVDs. The town that it's in is pop. 2,900, so slightly bigger. :)

But yes, there are still plenty of small retailers out there ;)

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

The same reason there's monopoly laws. You don't want one corporation becoming too powerful, putting its competition out of business, and then controlling prices. It's not good for the economy. Street date is a small aspect of that, but the theory holds just as true.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks