What's new

Miami Vice on DVD... but only Region 2 (1 Viewer)

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Universal has never said that music rights are holding up the release of a Miami Vice DVD. Somehow, I think a video company with connections to the biggest music company in the world (even though Universal Music is separate now, it's still a tremendous resource for its former corporate sibling) will find the wherewithall to clear the rights necessary to release Miami Vice--but only when it thinks the timing fits its business model, which relies very heavily on cross-promotion.

It also should be highly encouraging that Miami Vice used to air on NBC, the new owner of Universal Home Video.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
The Region 2 version will have all songs resung and rescored by David Hasselhoff.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, I've just tried something I never had before: using Google's free translation tools. Click here for what ought to be a version of that site translated to English.

Fascinating. Gord is, of course, looking into this!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Oh, shoot...you know what? Read this part of the translated review:

Crud, it's just the German version of the UK "Best of" releases that are already out for a long time. In Britain the best-ofs are sold separately, but in Germany I guess they put both volumes into a single package. I think that one or two of the episodes might be different, too, but I'm not sure of that. But I know the pilot film was on UK Best-of Vol 1, and the "Return Of Calderon" two-parter was on UK Best-of Vol 2. So this is the same thing, isn't it?

Here is the Amazon.de (Germany) link. You can get a bigger version of the cover art there, too. Oh, and Amazon.de also has links to similar 2-Disc Best-of releases for A-Team, Magnum, and Knight Rider...all three of which already have season sets known to be coming for Region 1!!

Anyway, the Miami Vice thing above is [rant]NOT[/rant] the nice new release we were all hoping for...

...maybe soon? We can all hope, anyway.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
If music rights are not the problem. I can't see how Universal thinks this won't sell more than any of their other releases.

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Something tells me you won't see anything materialize here until they make a Miami Vice movie (which would probably SUCK) and then they can tie all of it together. Then of course they will rerelease them in bare bones then later in an Ultimate edition or something like that.

Greg

DanHaya

Second Unit
I was thinking about this yesterday. You know, a lot of television series today use popular music in their episodes. And some of those shows are being released on DVD. So, what is the difference between those shows and Miami Vice? Granted, MV was way ahead of its time in that regard, and many of the songs that were used were either hot at the time or got hot because they were used.

Universal has to know that season sets of Miami Vice would sell like hotcakes. Why are they so slient on this issue? At least tell us what is going on so we'll stop bitching about it. I just don't get it.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
Miami Vice was made in the days before show producers would also get hold of the music rights for the songs for DVD in addition to the on-broadcast use. You have so many songs that were used and you have to deal with every single artist who had a song licensed for use on the show. Then you have to pay each artist foreach song used on the DVD release. So music clearances drive the cost of a release up.

That is the basic thing has been holding back the release of Miami Vice from being released to DVD in the US. The only way they may be able to release season sets would be to charge at least $90-$100 per season set or divide the seasons up into sets to make it seem to look more attractive to the consumer to buy price-wise (even though the seasons being divided up into sets will probably drive the cost per season up).

Be Seeing you,
David Blackwell

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
I have two very good contacts in the UK and USA. Miami Vice: Season 1 is planned for the future. Most of the 1st seasons music has been cleared. Region 1 release is hoped to be xmas with Region 2 following in early 2005. Thats the plan however as we know things may change. Its looking good though. :D

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I sure hope we will see this on DVD in the near future. This is my favorite TV show from the 80's and one of my all time favorite shows. If the rumor that the cost of clearing the music for each season will force the selling price to be around $100 per season then so be it. I bought all 9 seasons of X-Files and all 7 seasons of Star Trek: The Next Generation at that price and will gladly pay that price for all 5 seasons of Miami Vice (although I think the first 3 seasons were the best).

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor

I agree. I don't think the show ever really jumped the shark, but if it did, the jump can be denoted from the change to the white Testarossa.

I'd love to have this show on DVD on season sets with the original music.

Peace,

DM

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

I haven't seen Miami Vice since its original run, but IIRC the change took place early in the second season, did it not? Ferrari North America took issue with the producers using a "fake" Ferrari (bodykit, I think), so they provided two Testarossas (the then new release) for use in the show.

And again, IIRC, Miami Vice didn't really start slipping until the last season. But this is all from memory, so don't shoot me.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
It's been a while since I've seen it as well, so my recollection may be incorrect.

I do remember the two hour episode about their trip to New York as being a great episode and one of the highlights of the series. Not sure where that fell in the episode order.

Peace,

DM

Mike K

Agent
"The Prodigal Son"

I think it was the tv-movie season opener for Season 2?

The director was none other than Paul Michael Glaser , better known as "Starsky" of "Starsky & Hutch". :emoji_thumbsup:

I think MV started losing wind in it's sail ( or jumped the shark , as you say ) When Sonny spiked his hair, changed his wardrobe from casual to these little jacket suits or whatever they were (he dumped the pastels) and started singing songs. :thumbsdown:

The last (two?) season - he lost the wife - grew his hair out and went halvsies on the wardrobe - doning jeans and a white sportscoat. I actually thought the last season was Ok - better than the previous - but by then it was too late.

I hear that Don Johnson recently filed for Bankruptcy - He'd probably like to see the DVD's come out and hopefully get some residuals! ;)

P.S. I haven't seen it since it's original run either - so this is all from memory as well - don't take the details "as fact" :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks