Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

CSI: Miami 5/17/04 - CSI:NY Intro

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#1 of 43 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,592 posts

Posted May 17 2004 - 12:40 PM

Get your first sneak peak at CSI: NY in tonight's episode of CSI: Miami.

I'm still holding out for CSI: Fargo...
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 43 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,592 posts

Posted May 17 2004 - 02:18 PM

Ack! My worst fears have been confirmed, the DP or producers are going with a cold blue palette for CSI: NY. So predictable.

It's weird seeing "movie" actors working on TV (like Gary Sinese).

Well, it appears that NY:CSI's are pretty proactive investigators, more like detectives with CSI cred's. I think they are even more proactive than Miami, and definitely moreso than Las Vegas.

If they do CSI: LA, I can't imagine how laid back that CSI crew is going to be...

Noooooo!!! Claw-dia from "24" on on CSI: NY...

#3 of 43 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,592 posts

Posted May 17 2004 - 03:03 PM

Overall, an okay intro to CSI: NY, but I found it ironic that Caruso left NYPD Blue for a film career that didn't materialized, came back to do CSI: Miami and 2 years later, has to return to the Big Apple to help launch CSI: NY.

Nice to see Hill Harper get some work, as well as Melinda K....(from Providence). Like I said, this has to be the most aggressive bunch of CSIs yet.

#4 of 43 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,000 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted May 17 2004 - 03:13 PM

The "cold blue palette" may be predictable, but that's because it's really the only palette that works for New York. In general, we're a cold state with a brief span of opressive heat. This is especially true in the city. Red would be too jarring, yellow would clash with New York. Orange and green are already taken. Purple would have worked, but not as well as blue.

A desaturated look would have worked the best, but (nearer-to) black and white is off-putting to the general audience.

One of the cool tricks was in the first meeting between Miami and New York, everything's blue but Caruso whose bathed in an orange light.

Sinise is clearly the star, though. Even in his scenes with Caruso, the attention's fixated on him. I wasn't sure how he'd play on TV, but the understated quality that he brings to roles works for the role and helps set him apart a bit from Grissom and Caine. The scene where he tells the swarm of cops that they've secured the scene so they can all leave now really set the pace.

#5 of 43 Jeff*S*C*

Jeff*S*C*

Second Unit

• 290 posts

Posted May 17 2004 - 05:57 PM

I only watch and like CSI Vegas (can't stand Caruso) but I checked this one out to see what NY is going to be like (I do like Sinise). I'm really digging the "guns drawn" type CSI's.

#6 of 43 MattGentry

MattGentry

Second Unit

• 257 posts

Posted May 17 2004 - 10:29 PM

This is why CSI: NY is going to, for lack of a better term, "beat down" Miami.

Sinise strikes me as the type of CSI investigator that, should something bad go down, he's going to be right in the middle of it, gun drawn.

Caruso is more the type that would rather pass that type of work off onto someone else and just stand around spouting off things that most nine year olds have already become aware of.

And yes, the intro for Sinise was great. Here's a question for everyone though. Does anyone else think that Caruso's exit was a tad on the odd side? I mean, he just waves at Sinise, with this goofy grin, and Sinise turns back to the reporters as Caruso puts on his "shades." Sinise then goes to turn back to him, and he's disappeared.

Caruso has nowhere near the personality to be able to effectively pull off that trick... It just felt weird.

#7 of 43 Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted May 17 2004 - 10:44 PM

Quote:
One of the cool tricks was in the first meeting between Miami and New York, everything's blue but Caruso whose bathed in an orange light.
Not sure it was "cool", but it was kinda obvious Posted Image Oh well, back to ignoring CSI:M....

#8 of 43 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,000 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted May 17 2004 - 10:58 PM

Yeah, but only if you were looking for it.Posted Image AFAIK, my mother still doesn't believe me when I say the original CSI is "green."

#9 of 43 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,592 posts

Posted May 18 2004 - 01:23 AM

Another thing I noticed was that Mack had a wedding band on, so we'll have a lead CSI with a home life, which is a bit different than the LV or Miami version.

#10 of 43 Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted May 18 2004 - 02:04 AM

I felt it was ok over all but Caruso really does get on my nerves stating the obvious all the time. We'll see how CSI:NY plays out...I like how we get to know more about the personal lives of CSI tech's with CSI:LV

#11 of 43 Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted May 18 2004 - 02:42 AM

Quote:
One of the cool tricks was in the first meeting between Miami and New York, everything's blue but Caruso whose bathed in an orange light

It certainly was effective. Maybe a little obvious, but still a cool lighting setup...

I wasn't mad about another CSI, especially in NY (just because there are so many crime shows based in NY) but Sinise sold me. Posted Image

#12 of 43 Jason Walstrom

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor

• 808 posts

Posted May 18 2004 - 04:53 AM

It's the same old stuff, Same formula. It could be in a fictional city.
Nowhere In Mulberry~The Weekly Podcast Commentary of Film, Television and Pop Culture! iTunes

#13 of 43 Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts

Posted May 18 2004 - 10:27 AM

Put me down as another fan of CSI:LV, hater of David Caruso, and one who will be tuning in to CSI:NY each week. As soon as they announced that Gary Sinise would be headlining CSI:NY, it became must see.

Chris

#14 of 43 Don Black

Don Black

Screenwriter

• 1,485 posts

Posted May 18 2004 - 12:07 PM

I thought the writing was beneath Sinise. Thumbs down to the spinoff.

#15 of 43 Jason Walstrom

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor

• 808 posts

Posted May 18 2004 - 03:30 PM

What's with Caruso's line delivery? Man it's annoying.

"I..................................Will be in the morgue."
Nowhere In Mulberry~The Weekly Podcast Commentary of Film, Television and Pop Culture! iTunes

#16 of 43 Joseph S

Joseph S

Screenwriter

• 2,865 posts

Posted May 18 2004 - 03:34 PM

Another for the dump Caruso camp. The rest of CSI Miami is fine.

#17 of 43 Gregg Shiu

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit

• 420 posts

Posted May 18 2004 - 05:49 PM

I've seen a couple of CSI: Miami episodes here and there, but wasn't terribly impressed. Unlike when CSI announced it's spinoff to Miami, this time around I'm pretty excited since Sinise > Caruso in my book.

Quote:
What's with Caruso's line delivery? Man it's annoying.

Holy hell, please tell me he doesn't always speak like this in the show. It really took me out of the moment in beginning they asked him who he was and he was like: "Cain.... CSI.... of Miami..."
"-king sixty-three hundred dollar suit! COME ON!" - Gob

John 3:16My DVD CollectionMy CD Collection

#18 of 43 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,592 posts

Posted May 19 2004 - 01:25 AM

Caine always pauses for psuedo-dramatic effect. It's his quirk/thang/trademark.

#19 of 43 Sven Lorenz

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor

• 529 posts

Posted May 19 2004 - 08:09 AM

Quote:
Another thing I noticed was that Mack had a wedding band on, so we'll have a lead CSI with a home life, which is a bit different than the LV or Miami version.

Not sure if this is a spoiler -

I've read in some article about the show that his wife was a cop too and she died during 9/11.

The writing was really bad and the episode reminded me of all the things that made me stop watching CSI:Miami.

But I liked the CSI:NY team and the show will hopefully have another group of writers.

#20 of 43 Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted May 19 2004 - 10:19 AM

Quote:
Caine always pauses for psuedo-dramatic effect. It's his quirk/thang/trademark.
Maybe if they paid Caruso by the word, he'd knock that stuff off.

Now it seems ... like he's paid ... by the amount of time... he takes to.... deliver his lines.
R.I.P. DVDSpot

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow