Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Early Details - "ELF"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor

• 883 posts

Posted May 14 2004 - 12:58 AM

Director and actor Jon Favreau has started talking about the upcoming disc release of his blockbuster holiday film Elf. The DVD, part of New Line's Infinifilm line of special editions, will include "Beyond-the-Movie" extras such as audio commentary tracks, loads of deleted footage, multiple behind-the-scenes featurettes, storyboards, "kid-friendly" material and more. In addition, look for the disc specs to feature anamorphic widescreen, Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS Surround audio tracks. Elf will be available in the fourth quarter, in time for the Christmas shopping season.

#2 of 13 JoshB

JoshB

Supporting Actor

• 901 posts

Posted May 14 2004 - 05:46 AM

Glad to see New Line is giving a very good film a deserved special edition (could we expect any less from them). It's fitting to release it around Novemeber and it tiem for X-Mas, but that's nearly a year to when it was released in theaters, quite a long turn around time even for a largely successful film. Either way, they should do the film justice with their Infinifilm treatment.
"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards out of men."

Operation Iraqi Freedom Campaign Veteran, 06-08.
Operation Iraqi Freedom Campaign Veteran, 09-10.

Operation Enduring Freedom Campaign Veteran, 12-13.

#3 of 13 Chazz_S

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor

• 501 posts

Posted May 14 2004 - 06:46 AM

Nice specs

#4 of 13 Tim_C

Tim_C

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted May 14 2004 - 09:14 AM

I'm glad it's getting some good extras. I was pleasantly surprised by the film when I saw it, quite funny (and clean,) so, I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up buying it.

Phone rings,
Door chimes,
In comes
Company!

#5 of 13 Jeff*S*C*

Jeff*S*C*

Second Unit

• 290 posts

Posted May 14 2004 - 09:28 AM

Holy cow, I just realized this movie wasn't out on DVD yet. I wonder why it's taking so long. I guess a X-Mas movie just wouldn't sell good after the holidays.

#6 of 13 Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor

• 883 posts

Posted May 26 2004 - 01:27 AM

We now have a release date:

November 16th

#7 of 13 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,545 posts

Posted May 26 2004 - 08:45 AM

[Keanu]Whoa...[/Keanu]

In a day and age when DVDs are seemingly released weeks after a theatrical run ends (and in the case of LoTR, sometimes DURING a run), this really strikes me as odd. Will this be nearly a year from theater to DVD? I feel like I'm back in the 80s! Posted Image Posted Image

#8 of 13 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,197 posts

Posted May 26 2004 - 11:07 AM

Quote:
In a day and age when DVDs are seemingly released weeks after a theatrical run ends (and in the case of LoTR, sometimes DURING a run), this really strikes me as odd.

Actually, it happens quite a lot for holiday movies. The studios think - probably correctly - that a Christmas-oriented flick will sell better if it streets in November than in June. Among others, Grinch and Santa Clause 2 also waited about a year for their DVD releases.
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#9 of 13 Eric_B_C

Eric_B_C

Stunt Coordinator

• 177 posts

Posted June 01 2004 - 09:16 AM

I think I'm the only person that hated this movie. I thought Will Ferrell ruled the free world. Then I saw Elf, and now I can't stand the guy.

Ah well, love it or not, a great DVD is a great DVD.

#10 of 13 David Levy

David Levy

Stunt Coordinator

• 78 posts

Posted June 01 2004 - 09:35 AM

So wait, you would buy this movie, a movie you hated, and turned a favourite actor into someone you 'can't stand' purely on the strength of the DVD?

Maybe its just me, but that makes no sense.

#11 of 13 Eric_B_C

Eric_B_C

Stunt Coordinator

• 177 posts

Posted June 01 2004 - 12:36 PM

No no, not at all. I wouldn't buy it. What I was commenting on was the fact that it sounds like it's going to be a loaded DVD, and I'm happy to see a movie, ANY movie NOT get a bare bones release.

So I was merely praising the fact that it's getting a good release, even though I didn't like the film.

Hope that clarifiesPosted Image

#12 of 13 TomWoodward

TomWoodward

Second Unit

• 358 posts

Posted June 04 2004 - 10:06 PM

Full disc specs:

1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen Transfer
4:3 Full Screen Presentation
Infinifilm Fact Track for Elf
English Dolby Digital 5.1 Track
English Dolby 2.0 Surround Track
Spanish Dolby 2.0 Surround Track
Two Audio Commentaries with Director & Will Ferrell
Film School for Kids Featurette
Tag along with Will Ferrell Featurette
How they made the North Pole Featurette
Kids on Christmas Featurette
Selection of Elf Deleted Scenes
Elf Karaoke & Read-Along Story
Elf Decoder Card and More
Buddy's Adventure Game
DVD-ROM Features: Weblink Etc
English, Spanish Subtitles

And artwork can be viewed here
Tom Woodward
DVDActive.com

#13 of 13 Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted June 05 2004 - 02:04 AM

I wonder if the specs have changed because what Patrick is mentioning and what Tom has mentioned are different. What dvdfile has mentioned is different too but more inline with what Patrick has mentioned. So who is right?