Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

****Sopranos Season 5 Season Guide (Spoilers)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
325 replies to this topic

#321 of 326 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted May 04 2004 - 08:34 AM

Even though theyre sometimes very ignorant, they know how to do there jobs.

Bobby is a great example of this. Where hes talking about Quasimoto making predictions of the future/connection to Notre Dame one minute and settling union affairs another.

#322 of 326 OFFLINE   ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait

Screenwriter

• 2,187 posts

Posted May 04 2004 - 04:36 PM

EDIT: I should have read page 3 before trying to answer the question of "Were black guys hired to kill Meadow's boyfriend" DOH!

#323 of 326 OFFLINE   Jason_Els

Jason_Els

Screenwriter

• 1,096 posts

Posted May 04 2004 - 09:19 PM

This was a fantastic episode. I know I bitch about the "personal issues" episodes but this one was perfectly balanced. One of the finest episodes I have ever seen. So many layers at work here and each part advanced the plot to some degree but where it will lead we don't know.

The title of the show, Unidentified Black Males, isn't really about racism. It's about scapegoating personal responsibility. In this micro-culture the UBMs are bogeymen, flimsy diversions used to deflect scrutiny (as Tony B. does), hide from reality (as Meadow does), veil the truth (as Tony S. does), or to divert blame (as Vito does).
Even Finn does it claiming he doesn't want to take a job a minority could get which implies that he thinks he's a better candidate than any minority could be.

What we have here are the characters beginning to realize that these UBMs aren't working any more. The truth hidden by the shared fantasy of UBMs is beginning to fester and can't be ignored.
For beauty is only a step removed from a burning terror we barely sustain, and we worship it for the graceful sublimity with which it disdains to consume us. - Rainer Maria Rilke

My DVD Collection

#324 of 326 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted May 05 2004 - 12:03 AM

Quote:
Even Finn does it claiming he doesn't want to take a job a minority could get which implies that he thinks he's a better candidate than any minority could be.

Yep. Basically, he implied that small work was best suited for minorities.

The show did one heck of a job with it..

Started off right at the top with Tony B saying his limp was from being jumped by "black guys"

And it kept piling it on. Scapegoats. Very effective about it as well.
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#325 of 326 OFFLINE   LaMarcus

LaMarcus

Screenwriter

• 1,620 posts

Posted May 05 2004 - 12:11 AM

Excellent description of the racial content of this episode fellas.

Sean A., bravo!

#326 of 326 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted May 07 2004 - 04:53 AM

Finn's got to have that "Spinal Tap Drummer" feeling....
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus