****Sopranos Season 5 Season Guide (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Steven Simon, Apr 10, 2004.

1. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Even though theyre sometimes very ignorant, they know how to do there jobs.

Bobby is a great example of this. Where hes talking about Quasimoto making predictions of the future/connection to Notre Dame one minute and settling union affairs another.

2. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

EDIT: I should have read page 3 before trying to answer the question of "Were black guys hired to kill Meadow's boyfriend" DOH!

3. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

This was a fantastic episode. I know I bitch about the "personal issues" episodes but this one was perfectly balanced. One of the finest episodes I have ever seen. So many layers at work here and each part advanced the plot to some degree but where it will lead we don't know.

The title of the show, Unidentified Black Males, isn't really about racism. It's about scapegoating personal responsibility. In this micro-culture the UBMs are bogeymen, flimsy diversions used to deflect scrutiny (as Tony B. does), hide from reality (as Meadow does), veil the truth (as Tony S. does), or to divert blame (as Vito does).
    Even Finn does it claiming he doesn't want to take a job a minority could get which implies that he thinks he's a better candidate than any minority could be.

What we have here are the characters beginning to realize that these UBMs aren't working any more. The truth hidden by the shared fantasy of UBMs is beginning to fester and can't be ignored.

4. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Yep. Basically, he implied that small work was best suited for minorities.

The show did one heck of a job with it..

Started off right at the top with Tony B saying his limp was from being jumped by "black guys"

And it kept piling it on. Scapegoats. Very effective about it as well.

5. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Excellent description of the racial content of this episode fellas.

Sean A., bravo!

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Finn's got to have that "Spinal Tap Drummer" feeling....