What's new

Peter Jackson & Team Are Considering 'The Lovely Bones' As Their Next Film (1 Viewer)

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Variety is reporting that Peter Jackson and his Rings partners, Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens, are eyeing on The Lovely Bones as their next project after King Kong. Based on the bestselling novel by Alice Sebold:

This will be a special effects free film for Jackson who had always wanted to do one after the Rings trilogy. Maybe, this will satisfy Susan Sarandon. ;)

~Edwin

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member

Haha.

It is good to hear they are eyeing a smaller film for the future. Still, I really want them go back to doing their own material.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Honestly, I'd be more excited by this than I would The Hobbit. This reminds me a little of Heavenly Creatures, and I think PJ would do it real justice.

He doesn't need to satisfy Susan anymore :) He won.

Looking forward to hearing more about this!

Take care,
Chuck

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
How can it be special effects-free when, so I've heard (I haven't read the book), at least part of it takes place in heaven?

I'm first in line for anything he does.

Josh, the Mystic River team continually touted how their movie didn't have to rely on special effects. I think now their snarkiness bit them on the ass. Ha!

Julie K

Screenwriter

Well, I'm still waiting for Bad Taste 2....

This sounds interesting though - more interesting than his King Kong remake which I just can't get excited about.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Looks like Dreamworks has picked this film up. Steven Spielberg even has some nice words to say about Peter Jackson.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=20229

"When you read an emotionally magical story that cries out to be turned into a major motion picture, you hope its winding path can find its way to the door of your own company," said Steven Spielberg. "Peter Jackson has made this possible and I am so grateful to him, Fran and Film 4 for giving 'The Lovely Bones' a home at DreamWorks."

"Alice Sebold's story affects readers in deeply personal ways and the most important consideration for me was finding a studio partner who felt an equally strong connection with the book. Not just in sharing our emotional reaction to the story, but our desire to see it told in an original, adventurous way on screen," said Peter Jackson. "I eagerly look forward to the days and months ahead with Stacey, Steven, Adam Goodman and the team at Dreamworks."

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
:emoji_thumbsup: I read this book a couple of years ago and loved it. I knew that Jackson had bought the film rights, so I'm glad to see that this project is moving forward. :)

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
With an October start date, DreamWorks is probably looking to position this one for a fall '08 release. Expect a big Oscar push from the studio for this one. With Jackson's last four films being gigantic spectacles, it will be nice to see him tackle a more intimate story.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I actually think Dakota Fanning would be a good choice for the narrator, though I could understand why her reps wouldn't want to get near that subject matter again after the "Hounddog" fiasco. She's the right age now, and her narration for Spielberg's "Taken" was that perfect balance between heavenly omnipotence and troubled innocent.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Jackson is said to already have two people in mind for the roles of the dead girl and her killer. With filming starting in October, expect DreamWorks (Paramount) to make announcements soon as to who will be filling out the cast.

For what its worth, I also think Dakota Fanning would be a great choice for the lead.

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit
Time to resurrect this thread. The new trailer is out:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/thelovelybones/

I'm genuinely excited for this one now.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
As am I. Good trailer for a challenging film. Loved the book, and very anxious for this film. This is a pretty unique story.

Basically, what I said over 5 years ago :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Yesterday I think I had this thread open with the same link to the trailer Bryan just posted, but I obviously never clicked submit. *worried he's losing it*

The trailer does a great job of showcasing how well the story fits Jackson's sensibilities; Heavenly Creatures Jackson, though, not LOTR Jackson. I love how the "in-between" Heaven is portrayed; beautiful and majestic, but decayed and creepy in the spots that have been blotted by Susie's unresolved murder. Like a less polarized and less intense iteration of the afterlife from What Dreams May Come.

Is this Saoirse Ronan's first picture since her Oscar nom in Atonement, or was City of Ember in between? Either way, great choice since she does both innocent and forelorn very well. Since I think Stanley Tucci looks like everybody's creepy neighbor to begin with, I thought he wouldn't have to switch it up much for this but he definitely did. His George Harvey is the image of the mugshot of a sex offender from the news.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Look for Ronan (and possibly Tucci) to receive an aggressive Oscar push from DreamWorks and Paramount.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt
Yesterday I think I had this thread open with the same link to the trailer Bryan just posted, but I obviously never clicked submit. *worried he's losing it*
No, I absolutely saw your post linking the trailer. When I came in just now and saw that it was Bryan who had posted it, I did a doubletake.

Edit: Heh. It's another thread:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/273140/peter-jackson-directing-the-lovely-bones-starring-mark-wahlberg#post_3592742

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Now how did that thread suddenly end up in SD-DVD? Mostly I've come to terms with this forum software, but every once in a while the quirks throw me through a loop.

Thanks for restoring my sanity, Greg!

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit
Sorry guys, I probably would've linked to the more recent thread if I had found it. Didn't think to look across the entire forum

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks