Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Peter Jackson & Team Are Considering 'The Lovely Bones' As Their Next Film

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 of 29 OFFLINE   Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra

Producer

• 3,501 posts

Posted April 22 2004 - 05:23 PM

Variety is reporting that Peter Jackson and his Rings partners, Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens, are eyeing on The Lovely Bones as their next project after King Kong. Based on the bestselling novel by Alice Sebold:

Quote:
"Lovely Bones" does not seem like the sort of book that's destined for a film adaptation. It's a heartbreaking tale narrated by a 14-year old girl -- after she has been raped and murdered. From heaven, she observes her shattered family's attempt to heal, as a detective tries to solve the case and as her killer moves along his demented path.

This will be a special effects free film for Jackson who had always wanted to do one after the Rings trilogy. Maybe, this will satisfy Susan Sarandon. Posted Image

~Edwin
DVD Unwind: Paradise Now (Coming) • King Kong - - • KeaneThe Squid And The WhaleA History Of ViolenceHarry Potter and the Goblet of FireThe Best Of Youth (Italy) • Good Night And Good LuckHowl's Moving CastleWalk The Line - - • ZathuraNorth Country

#2 of 29 OFFLINE   Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers

Producer

• 3,481 posts

Posted April 22 2004 - 05:34 PM

Quote:
Maybe, this will satisfy Susan Sarandon.

Haha.

It is good to hear they are eyeing a smaller film for the future. Still, I really want them go back to doing their own material.
Top 10 Film Lists: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004
Film Lists: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005

#3 of 29 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,293 posts

Posted April 22 2004 - 11:53 PM

Interesting story - thanks for the heads up Edwin.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#4 of 29 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,990 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted April 23 2004 - 12:23 AM

Honestly, I'd be more excited by this than I would The Hobbit. This reminds me a little of Heavenly Creatures, and I think PJ would do it real justice.

He doesn't need to satisfy Susan anymore Posted Image He won.

Looking forward to hearing more about this!

Take care,
Chuck
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#5 of 29 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted April 23 2004 - 12:24 AM

Petes's got good taste.

great book, highly recommended.

#6 of 29 OFFLINE   Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor

• 926 posts

Posted April 23 2004 - 10:06 AM

I don't get it. What's with Susan Sarandon? Did she not like LOTR or something?

#7 of 29 OFFLINE   Vickie_M

Vickie_M

Producer

• 3,208 posts

Posted April 23 2004 - 10:52 AM

How can it be special effects-free when, so I've heard (I haven't read the book), at least part of it takes place in heaven?

I'm first in line for anything he does.

Josh, the Mystic River team continually touted how their movie didn't have to rely on special effects. I think now their snarkiness bit them on the ass. Ha!
Favorite film of 2008 (so far): The Fall

Favorite films of 2007: There Will Be Blood, Across The Universe, The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford, Black Snake Moan

My Happy Rhodes MySpace page

#8 of 29 OFFLINE   Julie K

Julie K

Screenwriter

• 1,963 posts

Posted April 24 2004 - 01:37 AM

Quote:
Petes's got good taste.

Well, I'm still waiting for Bad Taste 2....

This sounds interesting though - more interesting than his King Kong remake which I just can't get excited about.
"I have the heart of a child. I keep it in a jar on my shelf."
"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it."

#9 of 29 OFFLINE   DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted May 04 2007 - 06:15 PM

Looks like Dreamworks has picked this film up. Steven Spielberg even has some nice words to say about Peter Jackson.

http://www.comingsoo...ws.php?id=20229

"When you read an emotionally magical story that cries out to be turned into a major motion picture, you hope its winding path can find its way to the door of your own company," said Steven Spielberg. "Peter Jackson has made this possible and I am so grateful to him, Fran and Film 4 for giving 'The Lovely Bones' a home at DreamWorks."

"Alice Sebold's story affects readers in deeply personal ways and the most important consideration for me was finding a studio partner who felt an equally strong connection with the book. Not just in sharing our emotional reaction to the story, but our desire to see it told in an original, adventurous way on screen," said Peter Jackson. "I eagerly look forward to the days and months ahead with Stacey, Steven, Adam Goodman and the team at Dreamworks."

#10 of 29 OFFLINE   BrianShort

BrianShort

Supporting Actor

• 934 posts

Posted May 04 2007 - 07:11 PM

Posted Image I read this book a couple of years ago and loved it. I knew that Jackson had bought the film rights, so I'm glad to see that this project is moving forward. Posted Image

#11 of 29 OFFLINE   TerryRL

TerryRL

Producer

• 3,977 posts

Posted May 04 2007 - 11:54 PM

With an October start date, DreamWorks is probably looking to position this one for a fall '08 release. Expect a big Oscar push from the studio for this one. With Jackson's last four films being gigantic spectacles, it will be nice to see him tackle a more intimate story.
"Quite an experience to live in fear isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."

#12 of 29 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,303 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted May 05 2007 - 06:24 AM

I actually think Dakota Fanning would be a good choice for the narrator, though I could understand why her reps wouldn't want to get near that subject matter again after the "Hounddog" fiasco. She's the right age now, and her narration for Spielberg's "Taken" was that perfect balance between heavenly omnipotence and troubled innocent.

#13 of 29 OFFLINE   TerryRL

TerryRL

Producer

• 3,977 posts

Posted May 05 2007 - 07:31 AM

Jackson is said to already have two people in mind for the roles of the dead girl and her killer. With filming starting in October, expect DreamWorks (Paramount) to make announcements soon as to who will be filling out the cast.

For what its worth, I also think Dakota Fanning would be a great choice for the lead.
"Quite an experience to live in fear isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."

#14 of 29 OFFLINE   Bryan Beckman

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit

• 272 posts

Posted August 05 2009 - 12:05 PM

Time to resurrect this thread. The new trailer is out:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/thelovelybones/

I'm genuinely excited for this one now.

#15 of 29 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,990 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted August 05 2009 - 01:03 PM

As am I.  Good trailer for a challenging film.  Loved the book, and very anxious for this film.  This is a pretty unique story.

Basically, what I said over 5 years ago :)
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#16 of 29 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,303 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted August 05 2009 - 04:30 PM

Yesterday I think I had this thread open with the same link to the trailer Bryan just posted, but I obviously never clicked submit. *worried he's losing it*

The trailer does a great job of showcasing how well the story fits Jackson's sensibilities; Heavenly Creatures Jackson, though, not LOTR Jackson. I love how the "in-between" Heaven is portrayed; beautiful and majestic, but decayed and creepy in the spots that have been blotted by Susie's unresolved murder. Like a less polarized and less intense iteration of the afterlife from What Dreams May Come.

Is this Saoirse Ronan's first picture since her Oscar nom in Atonement, or was City of Ember in between? Either way, great choice since she does both innocent and forelorn very well. Since I think Stanley Tucci looks like everybody's creepy neighbor to begin with, I thought he wouldn't have to switch it up much for this but he definitely did. His George Harvey is the image of the mugshot of a sex offender from the news.

#17 of 29 OFFLINE   TerryRL

TerryRL

Producer

• 3,977 posts

Posted August 05 2009 - 04:47 PM

Look for Ronan (and possibly Tucci) to receive an aggressive Oscar push from DreamWorks and Paramount.

#18 of 29 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,866 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted August 05 2009 - 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt 
Yesterday I think I had this thread open with the same link to the trailer Bryan just posted, but I obviously never clicked submit. *worried he's losing it*
No, I absolutely saw your post linking the trailer.  When I came in just now and saw that it was Bryan who had posted it, I did a doubletake.

Edit:  Heh.  It's another thread:

http://www.hometheat...rg#post_3592742

#19 of 29 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,303 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted August 06 2009 - 01:54 AM

Now how did that thread suddenly end up in SD-DVD? Mostly I've come to terms with this forum software, but every once in a while the quirks throw me through a loop.

Thanks for restoring my sanity, Greg!

#20 of 29 OFFLINE   Bryan Beckman

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit

• 272 posts

Posted August 06 2009 - 02:38 AM

Sorry guys, I probably would've linked to the more recent thread if I had found it.  Didn't think to look across the entire forum /img/vbsmilies/htf/confused.gif

Forum Nav Content I Follow