What's new

monitor audio? (1 Viewer)

BuddF

Auditioning
I am curious as to what you think of monitor audio. I cannot find one thread with a mention of them. Are they viewed as a good or bad speaker? I listened to some the other day and they seemed ok. I am a little new so excuse me if I missed something blatantly obvious. Thanks for any input.

gregD

Second Unit
You don't hear much about MA because they're not as widely distributed as other makes... though that seems to be slowly changing.

I like 'em -- a lot... don't own them, but I've spent a fair amount of time auditioning several models over the past few years... detailed, clean, good with all types of music, not fussy with amplification, nice finishes, great value for the money... they're well-reviewed most everywhere... I recommended them for my musician brother's HT (the previous Silver series + sub), and he & the missus are thrilled with them.

But speaker makes vary greatly in sonic characteristics, and personal preferences are critical... the best recommendation is to audition as many as you can -- in your own home if possible -- before making a final decision.

John Chrisack

Auditioning
These have been termed at one time as the B&W killers as they offer excellent quality for the price.
However, the are a tad on the bright side without sounding harsh.
The Bronze line(entry level) has been getting pretty good reviews esp the Bronze 2 which earned the Best Buy 2003 in what Hi-Fi mag for sub-200 pounds category.
Audioholics also has high regards for the MA Gold reference 10 bookshelf.
Best if u audition them at a dealer. However, the MAs are no doubt a class above many competitors at the same price.

JeffPal

Auditioning
I just Purchased the Bronze 4 towers , very happy w/ them !:)
I listened to B&W and Klipchs , and chose the MA's

Really like the Cabinets and design of the MA series,
Quality thruout ...

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Guess I'll be the first to say that the MA Silvers I tried a couple of years ago didn't stack up against several others we were demoing at the time. They were touted as the cat's meow on a couple of forums so I bit and bought a whole set of 5.1.... don't remember exacts but the fronts were 5i and the sub was a 10".....

Back then, several of us local HT nuts were upgrading various things. I bought the MA, some Energy RVS, JBL Studios, Magnepans and a couple of others. After many, many, many blind tests with various amps, receivers etc, the MA were the first to go. It was pretty unanimous among several of us.....Surprised me since they were the most expensive.

I hope they've improved.

BuddF

Auditioning
Thanks for the info. I am still considering silver series S6 for the mains, silver S-LCR for the center and haven't decided on the rears yet. They seem to sound pretty good with the music I have brought in. I do need to do an in home demo though. Thanks for the input, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't starting to go for something I would regret. Thanks.

Budd

Bailey Ham

Auditioning
I recently got the S6 / S1 / Sctr package (two weeks ago).

Out of the box I loved the S6. They are weak on the bass compared to the Energy EXl 26 they replace, but the smoothness and imaging is so much better. The Energy tweeter is horrible compared to the monitor Audio silver series.

The S center was initially disappointing. I found it started boxy, but as it worked in it lost that quality. I am much happier with it now.

I would describe these speakers as very neutral and clean sounding. They don't color the sound to my ears, and are very fast in transients with the C-Cam drivers.

Overall I am very happy with my speakers. I am still tweaking them (position, setup, crossovers, etc.) - and still don't have my new reciever (I just ordered a Denon 3805).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks