Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Advice Needed: Small, stand-mounted, rear surround speakers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Bob_F

Bob_F

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts

Posted April 14 2004 - 04:15 AM

I need advice selecting small, stand-mounted, rear surround speakers for a 5.1 system. I'm hoping for something less than $200 a pair but I'm willing to consider spending more.

The rest of my system is a odd collection of components:

Denon AVR-3801 Receiver

Left and Right Front Speakers: Monitor Audio Bronze 1 (These are small bookshelf speakers)

Center Channel: BIC DV62CLRs

Subwoofer: Yamaha YST-SW100

I already have two adjustable stands with a circular metal tube top sections and I'd like to use these if feasible.

The rear speakers need to be located right behind a full-width couch because of the layout of the room. There is no rear wall as the back of the room opens into the kitchen.

I've been considering speakers such as the Klipsch Quintet and the Boston Acoustics Bravo or Micro series.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

Bob

#2 of 4 Bob_F

Bob_F

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts

Posted April 19 2004 - 10:47 AM

OK, I think I might have put too much information in my first post. Posted Image Let me try this again:

Can anyone recommend rear, stand-mounted, surround speakers?

Shooting for $200/pair but willing to go higher.

Thanks!

Bob

#3 of 4 ScottCHI

ScottCHI

Screenwriter

• 1,292 posts

Posted April 19 2004 - 10:55 AM

there are a lot of 5.25"/6.5" woofered bookshelves out there that can be had for $100 each that would work just fine.

can you give us a few more important criteria to help narrow your choices? looks like "compact" may be important, right?
"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."

#4 of 4 Bob_F

Bob_F

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts

Posted April 19 2004 - 11:01 AM

Thanks for the super fast reply Scott.

Yes, a smaller speaker would be better. I like the Boston Acoustics Micro series for this reason.

Bob