I'm quivering with anticipation.

Doug

#2 of 29 Rachael B

Rachael B

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,637 posts

Posted March 16 2004 - 07:17 AM

"...on Virgin Records in the U.K. ..." Sounds like more expensive imports but I like him.
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#3 of 29 Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,396 posts

Posted March 16 2004 - 07:47 AM

Great scoop Doug. I love Eno's work. Posted Image
Viewing: Sony KDSXBR150, Sony Bluray S570, ATT Uverse
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#4 of 29 Doug Otte

Doug Otte

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted March 16 2004 - 07:58 AM

Quote:
Sounds like more expensive imports but I like him.

Let's see...in May we have:
1) Marx Bros. DVD set
2) Eno SACD import set

That should set me back at least $100. Guess it's back to the cheap gin for me!

Doug

#5 of 29 GarySI

GarySI

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted March 16 2004 - 12:20 PM

You have no idea how long i have waited for this. I thought it would never happen. I still turn people on to Eno using his early solo records. Pity that most people know of him only as U2's producer. They don't have a clue of his own work or the work with DEVO, Talking Heads, 801, John Cale(Eno plays on his new solo)or Fripp.
I'll start saving now.
I know the hearse is double parked and the motor's running.
It could be worse, it could be me.

#6 of 29 Marvin

Marvin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted March 17 2004 - 12:10 AM

Quote:
I still turn people on to Eno using his early solo records.
Specifically, "Taking Tiger Mountain by Strategy" is excellent.

#7 of 29 Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,999 posts

Posted March 17 2004 - 01:50 AM

Any idea what the titles might be? I recall "Ambient 1: Music For Airports" as being announced way-back-when. That's probably my favorite of his pure ambient works, but I'm really hoping the first wave includes "Warm Jets" and "Another Green World"! Oh, the textures in DSD could be just marvelous...
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#8 of 29 Jesse Lawson

Jesse Lawson

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted March 17 2004 - 03:29 AM

Glorious!

Eno's four vocal albums remain among my all-time favorites. Don't have an SACD player, but I'm sure the redbook versions will be an improvement on the older CDs. I would imagine there would be domestic versions eventually, but I'll probably be too impatient to wait.

Technically the first four Eno solo albums (excluding those with Fripp) are Here Come the Warm Jets, Taking Tiger Mountain, Another Green World and Discreet Music. I'm sure all the ambient albums will be included among the twenty-two.

Sheesh —*seems like half of my favorite artists are supposed to have their catalogs updated this year: Eno, The Fall, The Cure, Talking Heads... Take them and all the DVDs Warner is supposed to be putting out, my spendthrift impulses will be fully indulged.

#9 of 29 Marvin

Marvin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted March 17 2004 - 03:42 AM

Quote:
Technically the first four Eno solo albums (excluding those with Fripp) are Here Come the Warm Jets, Taking Tiger Mountain, Another Green World and Discreet Music.
I believe you meant "Before and After Science" as the fourth one.

#10 of 29 John Berggren

John Berggren

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,245 posts

Posted March 17 2004 - 03:53 AM

I find it unfortunate that such great SA-CD releases are announced for the UK (Eno, Bjork, Groove Armada) but not for the US.
I'd love to have all of these, but can't justify $20-30/SACD.
Support the fight against Multiple Sclerosis as I ride in the 2007 MS 150 in New Bern this September.

Be a Widescreen Advocate

#11 of 29 Jesse Lawson

Jesse Lawson

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted March 17 2004 - 04:57 AM

Quote:
I believe you meant "Before and After Science" as the fourth one.

No, Discreet Music came out in 1975.

#12 of 29 Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,999 posts

Posted March 17 2004 - 05:30 AM

Quote:
Technically the first four Eno solo albums (excluding those with Fripp) are Here Come the Warm Jets, Taking Tiger Mountain, Another Green World and Discreet Music. I'm sure all the ambient albums will be included among the twenty-two.
I certainly would be pleased if these titles comprised the first four SACD/CD releases, but I'm not sure that's what the article states:

"Since acquiring the deck, Heyworth is currently working on solo albums from Brian Eno. The first four albums of a 22-album project spanning 1973-1997 will be released in May of this year on Virgin Records in the UK."

It merely says "[t]he first four albums of a 22-album project", not necessarily "Eno's first four (solo) albums".

But I hope it means Eno's first four (solo) albums! Posted Image
"Only one is a wanderer;

#13 of 29 Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted March 17 2004 - 06:23 AM

According to NME's site, the first four reissues will be his first "vocal" albums (Jets, Tiger, Green World and Science).

I am totally overjoyed at this news. I got into Eno around 4 years ago, when I picked up the Velvet Goldmine soundtrack on a whim and became facisnated by his track "Needle In the Camel's Eye"--prior to this, I had only known him as the guy who did the U2, Bowie and Talking Heads albums.

"Hmmm," I thought, "noisy, raccous, but the melody and singing are infectious. I think I'll seek more of him!" After that, I never looked back. I now have around 24 of his albums, and even snatched up the Eno Box: Vocal off of Amazon for around 50 dollars, which was an amazing find considering that the box (and its Instrumental brother) go for around $200 apiece.

Can't tell you how glad I am that these will be SACD's. I play his albums frequently, and each time I do, I always notice some little sonic detail that I never heard before. SACD's should open up even more of those details.

EDIT: I wonder what the chances are of Eno finally releasing My Squelchy Life as part of this series. I pieced most of it together thanks to Nerve Net and the box set, but it would be nice to have some of the rarer tracks.
I like shiny things. | 2002 Film List | Best & Worst of 2002 | 2003 Film List | 2004 Film List

'I'm sucking up juice from the generator!' - Brian Eno, "I Fall Up"
AIM: KevinLeonard81 (because SexGod9451860 was already taken)
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

#14 of 29 Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted March 17 2004 - 07:28 AM

And David Bryne confirmed on a Virgin radio interview that his collaboration w/ Eno, My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, will be reissued with bonus tracks later this year. Not sure if will count as part of the Eno reissue series or not. (found on talking-heads.net)
I like shiny things. | 2002 Film List | Best & Worst of 2002 | 2003 Film List | 2004 Film List

'I'm sucking up juice from the generator!' - Brian Eno, "I Fall Up"
AIM: KevinLeonard81 (because SexGod9451860 was already taken)
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

#15 of 29 Doug Otte

Doug Otte

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted April 15 2004 - 06:35 AM

Has anyone found any pre-order info? I've been searching around. The only thing I found was on amazon.fr. I'm not sure if these are the SACDs or not. They're only listed as CDs. Also, I thought the new releases were to be in box sets. See below for links to amazon.fr.

Doug

Warm Jets

Tiger Mountain

Green World

BAAS

#16 of 29 Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,396 posts

Posted April 15 2004 - 07:38 AM

Great news. Good scoop Doug! Posted Image
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#17 of 29 Jesse Lawson

Jesse Lawson

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted April 25 2004 - 06:56 AM

There are listings on Amazon for domestic versions of these from Astralwerks (May 18, $16.98 each). It isn't clear if they'll be hybrid SACDs though.

#18 of 29 Jesse Lawson

Jesse Lawson

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted May 31 2004 - 04:43 AM

These got pushed to June 1st in the US (May 31 in the UK). The administrator of talking-heads.net mentioned in one thread (http://zimbranet.vds....cus/discus.cgi) that he'd gotten a chance to hear them and didn't notice significant improvements from the older CDs. Also, he said the packaging didn't say anything about SACD. In addition, this article (http://www.musicangl...wnews.php?id=43) says that for now only redbook versions are being released.

Starting to sound kind of disappointing... I'll buy them anyway, since I sold my old Caroline/E'G versions.

#19 of 29 Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,999 posts

Posted May 31 2004 - 10:00 AM

From Musicangle (thanks for the link, Jesse):
Quote:
While the digital master will be DSD, for the time being only red book CDs will be issues, with SACDs perhaps coming at a later date. There may be vinyl as well.
Well, shit. I'm not buying the redbooks with the possibility of SACDs in the offing, and I'm certain plenty of others will await the possible vinyl issues.
"Only one is a wanderer;

#20 of 29 Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,396 posts

Posted May 31 2004 - 11:03 AM

Quote:
I'm not buying the redbooks with the possibility of SACDs in the offing

Same for me Rich. They ahould "day and date" these.

Back to Music & Soundtracks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow