What's new

Yamaha graphic equalizer (Do I need one?) (1 Viewer)

EduardoBonifaz

Stunt Coordinator
Yesterday I purchased a cool set of Yamaha speakers (two floor standing, a center channel, and a pair of surrounds), I actually have a sub, the guy at the store showed me a graphic equalizer (I don{t remember how many bands) It looked great wiht all the little red lights on!, the store guy told me that I can connect my cd player and turntable to adjust frquencies and "tailor" the sound to my listening preferences ( I´m talking about cd´s and vinyls) I´m not thinking about the ´movies (DVD or VHS soundtracks), has any of you guys any experience with this stuff?, the price is very atractive but I dont know If I really need this new toy, and I dont know If It will improve the music experience. I actuallly have a set you can see in the theaters area,
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/...ent/29051.html
I use it 50% classical music, jazz and rock, and 50% movies, lots of CD´s and some vinyls, my actual speakers are the crappy micro speaker of the Ht in a box.
thanks for your comments.

Jim Rakowiecki

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't do it. I don't believe equlaizers offer very much benefit. I've tried them in the past and have found that they really just add lot's of noise and muddy up the sound. If you want your system to sound better I think you are on the right track with new speakers.
If the equalizer is fairly inexpensive and it's money you won't miss in six months buy it and play with it. It will alter the sound you hear and you may like what it does for you and in the end you're the only guy that has to be happy with the way your system sounds.

Benjamin-Es

Auditioning
My experience is that Yamaha salesman in Mexico ALWAYS want you to buy an equalizer. I don't know the reason. That being said, I don't belive your are buying it for the right reason. Use your system for the following six months and decide if the upgrade would be an EQ. If so, still, you would need to invest some time in learning and setting up the EQ properly which it has to do a lot with your current room. You would need to measure frequencies with test cd and a SPL; which if you are into it is quite fun, but if not, it is most probable you will end with a worst sound than today.

saludos

Benjamin E.

EduardoBonifaz

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the information, after your oppinions I think the best way to get a better sound I´ts beside the speaker upgrade, it´s to upgrade my receiver (gotta convince first my wife :) )

EduardoBonifaz

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks a lot Wayne for the links they are very helpful, after reading all the info I have a very different idea of what an EQ is for, by the way I´d ask, would you recommend it for Using it for LP and CD reproduction ?, I have a very "normal" A/V room (not acoustic prepared), and my main idea is to make music sound better, What do you think?
thanks

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Eduardo,

As I mentioned, this kind of equalizer is a sophisticated tone control. It should only be used with LPs, tapes or CDs where you think something is lacking or exaggerated. Typically this will require only a band or two to be adjusted, and then only a few dB. It can be used say, to help bass-shy speakers, although it will come at the expense of maximum output.

Perhaps you could arrange with the dealer to let you do a trial run at home.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks