What's new

Seal on DVD-A (1 Viewer)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Excellent! I indignantly held off on buying the IV CD because I figured I'd wait/give Warner 6 mos. or so to see if they might announce a DVD-A (there's no shortage of other discs I want to buy) . . . and maybe my 'strategy' paid off. We'll see if they actually make this street date.

Thx for the post, Ron!

-p

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Circuit City has it up on pre-order for 13.99, with a 4/20 release date. Don't know f this means if it was pushed back a couple weeks or Musictap's date is off.

J

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
It looks like it will only be Seal IV that will be released on 4/20 in DVD-A. I was looking more for his debut album.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thx for the CC tip, Justin--that's a great price, no? Haven't found it listed at Amazon yet.

Here's hoping that it actually shows up in stores next week.

-p

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

Yeah,

I generally make most of my Hi-res pre-orders through Circuit City where the prices generally run 12.99-13.99. They also have free shipping on all music orders.

J

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
J:

Interesting CC site pricing: they seem to be abiding list pricing on Capitol DVD-As like (Empire and Crowded House) which are $24.99, but clearly not comporting with list on Warner and UMG DVD-As and Sony and DSOtM SACDs, which are $13.99. That's $4 less than Amazon. Nice.

-p

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Fuggin' work--I didn't make it to Best Buy at lunch today. Did anybody buy, see or get Seal IV delivered today? If not, maybe the 4/20 date is correct . . .

-p

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
It would appear--IF the Circuit City site is accurate--that there is also a new CD release of the album that is paired with a DVD?

http://entertainment.circuitcity.com...odid=WB47947.2

All Music Guide's David Jeffries' review comments include: "Seal IV was reissued in 2004 with a bonus DVD containing the whole album in a spacious 5.1 Surround Sound mix along with three videos."

So I'd surmise that the bonus DVD is the DD down rez of what's hi rez on the DVD-A. I'd hope that the DVD-A also has the same three vids.

Will find out soon and post if someone else hasn't yet done so.

-p

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Unless and until things become clearer to me, I'm going to call this "The 'DualDisc' Disaster."

After a cursory look (Tower was closing) at both the DVD-A and the CD/DVD package, I'm confused. First of all, Circuit City's track listing at the above link for "Disc 2" (the DVD) of the CD/DVD release is wrong. I'm fairly sure the track order is song-for-song identical to the stand-alone CD.

But, at least according to what the back of the CD/DVD package says, my surmise in the second-to-last paragraph of my post above is wrong: the DVD included with the new CD re-release of the album is NOT Dolby Digital. The CD/DVD package says that the DVD includes both Advanced Resolution Stereo and 5.1 tracks.

So it would appear that Warner has included a DVD-A in the new CD/DVD package ($25.99 list) . . . released on the same day as a stand-alone DVD-A ($18.99 list).

Huh?

Why would buyers who want the CD want to pay more to get a DVD-A disc they probably can't play (and if its because of the DD and DTS, why not just buy the cheaper DVD-A, which includes same?)?

Why would buyers who want the DVD-A pay more to get a standard rez CD (to play it in the car?)?

BTW, the three vids are the same on the DVD in the CD/DVD package and on the DVD-A.

In the words of Jon Stewart, "Wwhaaaa?!?"

-p

raymond caputo

Stunt Coordinator
received mine yesterday...since i am a big fan of seal anyway i really loved it...alot of dvda's actually annoy me with too many effects going on...it takes away from the realism of the performance...this one along with STING,and LUTHER get my vote

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
John,

The issue with the Pioneer DV-563A is with a particular authoring tool for discs -- I don't recall which one it was that was causing problems.

Cheers,

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Seems like a good thing to me - a few bucks extra to get high-rez AND a disc I can play in the car and rip to my PC & MP3 player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks