Photo

Fox releasing colorized DVDs of Shirley Temple films?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 of 29 Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts

Posted October 18 2001 - 12:30 PM

The relevant passage is quoted below from DVDFile:
Quote:
More classic kid fare is to come on 1/29, with Shirley Temple wave one, featuring Dimples, and Heidi and Bright Eyes (in color.) Each disc is presented in full frame with English and French mono tracks. No other specs are available, and retail is $19.95 each.

I've seen these films - a very long time ago on television - and they are most certainly not in color. Also, the IMDb confirms they are supposed to be black & white. Why in heaven's name would Fox release colorized versions? The only hope is that the press release was incomplete and that the real, original B & W versions are included as well. If not, Fox just PO'd a lot of classic film collectors...
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#2 of 29 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,205 posts

Posted October 18 2001 - 12:45 PM

These would be the titles that Fox has been merchandising
on tv as being "brilliantly restored."

Garbage films.

Garbage restorations.

Fox should be ashamed even if these are sublicensed to
others.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#3 of 29 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,417 posts
  • LocationBlairsville, GA, USA

Posted October 18 2001 - 12:48 PM

FOX can't release the colorized versions to DVD. They'll look like over-compressed MPEG I files.

They were done at such a low resolution and they were meant for low-res TV and VHS broadcast.

The only colorized material that could be transfered to DVD without looking downright horrible are the Looney Tunes colorized in 1995. They're incredebly high-res, but WB would probably release the B&W versions for quality control reasons.

Also, DVDFile has gotten some stuff like this wrong, so I'd wait for the full report.

(Mr. Harris is right about the laughable restorations. Fox just DVNR'd the hell out of the movies and then had the worst colorization company to do the color work. If you want to see some good remasterings and colorizations, look at WB's 1995 set of colorized Looney Tunes. The color is excellent and the quality of the picture is amazing...you should see the companion B&W versions which were cleaned up for the colorizations. CST Entertainment Inc. colorized them and they also did work on Fantasia, I think.)

BTW, the company that colorized the Shirley Temple movies also did colorization work for Disney.

[Edited last by PatrickMcCart on October 18, 2001 at 07:52 PM]

#4 of 29 george kaplan

george kaplan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 13,064 posts

Posted October 18 2001 - 01:05 PM

I too have seen those commercials about these films (on vhs) being 'brilliantly restored for today's audiences'. Although I have no interest in these films, it makes me sick, and I hate the thought of them coming to dvd this way.

Geez, I know we have to deal with p&s, and cut material (Dumbo, E.T., Roger Rabbit), but I thought colorizing films at least was a thing of the past.

------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#5 of 29 GlennH

GlennH

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

Posted October 18 2001 - 01:26 PM

We have the Fox VHS of HEIDI, which my mother-in-law bought for my daughter. Not what you would call a high quality video presentation.

If Fox somehow does put the colorized films on DVD I would hope that they would put the original B&W on the same disc, and I would hope they would restore the film first if needed, but at $19.95 MSRP I doubt it. It may just be a cheap port to DVD of the VHS transfers?

This reminds me, PRIDE OF THE YANKEES with Gary Cooper is out on DVD in colorized form only. Posted Image I guess you can turn the color off but somehow I doubt you get the same grayscale.

#6 of 29 Brian W.

Brian W.

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted October 18 2001 - 01:44 PM

Fox, for pete's sake, AT LEAST include the original black-and-white version of the films in addition to the color! Colorization is DISGUSTING! At least make both available on the discs! I can't believe you would make such an insane decision, if it's true.

#7 of 29 Daniel L

Daniel L

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted October 18 2001 - 01:55 PM

The announcement is legit, it comes directly from Fox's retail web site...

Daniel L

[Edited last by Daniel L on October 18, 2001 at 08:55 PM]

#8 of 29 Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted October 18 2001 - 04:04 PM

Fox, pardon me while I puke!!!

Obviously Joe Six Pack's kids don't understand anything in Black and White.
We'd hate them to have to phone the TV Repair man and report that there's something wrong with the color on their TV Set.

Strange choice of S.T. titles, there are better ones.

[Edited last by Doug Bull on October 18, 2001 at 11:11 PM]

#9 of 29 Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts

Posted October 19 2001 - 04:19 AM

I'm surprised more people aren't concerned about this. I realize Shirley Temple films aren't at the top of many requested lists - they're certainly not on mine - but it's the precedent we need to worry about. What's next, colorized versions of Laurel & Hardy, Chaplin, Bud & Lou, and other classics? This is just as big an issue as pan-and-scan, in my opinion, and we all know how we react when we hear a favorite film is getting the P&S "treatment".

What's the deal, Fox?
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#10 of 29 Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,009 posts

Posted October 19 2001 - 04:31 AM

Frankly, it ought to be false advertising. Restoration means to return something to its original condition or state. Colorization certainly cannot fall within that definition.

#11 of 29 Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted October 19 2001 - 04:44 AM

When I see the avertisements for these titles on TV (the VHS versions) I don't know if I should laugh or cry at the "beautifully restored" comments.

Colorized, fading, poor contrast, and pretty poor resolution. I imagine the original negatives are in pretty poor shape, and I would have thought a good quality restoration would have been in order, just to keep these titles.

THanks Fox, right when I was ready to worship your releases.

------------------
"Indiana... Indiana.... Let it go."

http://www.dvdprofil....p?alias=LanceN
"Here is Edward Bear, coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head, behind Christopher Robin. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there really is another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it."

#12 of 29 Ron Connolly

Ron Connolly

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted October 19 2001 - 04:51 AM

I'd much rather see the B&W versions. They were great!

------------------
Ron Connolly
San Jose, Ca.

Ron Connolly
San Jose, Ca.

#13 of 29 Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted October 20 2001 - 09:55 AM

I don't think they're coming out on DVD in colorized form. Someone must have made a mistake when they were writing the news.

(Robert Crawford: You can remove your reply to the original version of my message. I just went onto IMDB and discovered that "Bright Eyes" was, indeed, made in black-and-white.)

[Edited last by Jeffrey Gray on October 20, 2001 at 05:32 PM]

#14 of 29 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Advanced Member

• 23,095 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 20 2001 - 10:10 AM

Quote:
It says the first wave of Shirley Temple films features "Dimples, Heidi, and Bright Eyes (in color)." What it meant is that, unlike the other two films, which are in black-and-white, "Bright Eyes" (which was made in Technicolor) is in color.

Jeffrey,
All three movies were filmed using black and white photography. Years later, probably during the late 1980's or early 90's, computer-colors was added. "Bright Eyes" was definitely not originally filmed in Technicolor!

Crawdaddy

------------------
Peter Staddon: "I didn't say you can put 'Monkeybone' back!"

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#15 of 29 Hendrik

Hendrik

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted October 20 2001 - 11:30 AM

...AFAIK there were only two movies starring Shirley Temple as a child that were filmed in Technicolor:

- The Little Princess (1939)

- The Blue Bird (1940)

. . . Posted Image . . .

#16 of 29 Brian W.

Brian W.

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted October 21 2001 - 04:59 PM

Yes, and let's not only hope that Fox will revise their plans and release the others in B&W, but cross our fingers that they will do a three-strip restoration of "The Little Princess" and "The Bluebird," or at least come up with better elements for "Princess" than exist now.

Ironically, "The Little Princess" was always shown in B&W on television when I was a kid -- didn't even know it was shot in color till a color shot appeared in the opening credits of the late 70's TV series, "That's Hollywood."

[Edited last by Brian W. on October 22, 2001 at 12:00 AM]

#17 of 29 Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted October 21 2001 - 05:19 PM

Would Mr. Staddon care to comment on this issue????

-Tom

#18 of 29 PeterB

PeterB

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted October 21 2001 - 08:48 PM

Howdy

Hey guys, I posted the Shirley Temple info based on the Fox press site. It lists the latter two Temple films as being in color. Hopefully the site is wrong...

: (

------------------
Peter M. Bracke
Peter M. Bracke

#19 of 29 Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted October 21 2001 - 09:07 PM

There's always room for errors in press releases. I remember talk about Moulin Rouge's aspect ratio a few weeks back which was inaccurately listed as 1.85:1 instead of 2.35:1.

I'm sure all will be cleared up like it was then. Heck when MR's aspect ratio was cleared up we also learned about a DTS track that wasn't listed on the inital release.

M.
Mark McLeod
Staff Reviewer - CanadaMovies.net / MovieContests.com

#20 of 29 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,959 posts

Posted October 22 2001 - 12:17 AM

If this is true I would like to personally thank FOX studios for helping me save money. I personally do not want to watch any movies in Turnervision.

Forum Nav Content I Follow