What's new

Players without the "chroma bug"? (1 Viewer)

JamesCB

Second Unit
Is this still an issue with newer players?
I have the problem, and ever since I noticed it, I see it more than I should because I find myself looking for it. Is there a concise list of players that do not have this problem? I know a few Denon models fixed this. I am starting to look for an upgrade now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kevinkall

Second Unit
I know it's been posted MANY times, but how can you tell if your player has it?

I have the Toshiba SD-3900. Bug?

Thanks?

JamesCB

Second Unit
This site explains it pretty well:
Chroma Bug
Be warned, once you notice it on some movies, it will drive you insane. Finding Nemo is one that shows it real well.

Jay Blair

Second Unit
I've read that the SD-3900 has the chroma bug. But if you haven't seen it, I wouldn't worry about it. If fact, why would you even want to know about it?

I also have the SD-3900 and have never seen the bug, but I've only run it through an iScan Ultra, which supposedly masks the chroma bug. That circuitry can be turned off, so I suppose I could check my copy of Toy Story to verify if the Toshiba has the bug. If I have the time, I'll check it later tonight. It's easy to spot if you know where to look.

If you do a search, I think there's a post with a picture of the chroma bug using Toy Story.

JamesCB

Second Unit
What I'm really looking for is a list of players without this problem or I need to know if it is not inherent in newer players.

Jay, the link I provided includes several pics from Toy Story as well as shots from other movies.

Steve_L_B

Stunt Coordinator
The "bug" is a problem with the MPEG decoder and as far as I know, all Toshiba dvd players still exhibit it (i.e. Toshiba has never fixed their MPEG decoder). However, the Secrets site did report that Toshiba dvd players were among the best at hiding the problem.

The link posted above is still the best source for info regarding players that do/don't exhibit the problem.

-Steve

Jay Blair

Second Unit
I cannot see the chroma bug in Toy Story with the SD-3900 on a 53" Sony and viewing from just a few feet away. Using the iScan Ultra with the chroma filter either on or off, I see no difference in the scenes that are noted for showing off the bug (and using the same scenes where I can clearly see it using my Pioneer DVD player without the iScan). Maybe the SD-3900 doesn't exhibit the bug using interlaced output (which is the only way I can use it with the iScan).

ross ish

Stunt Coordinator
JVC by its digital direct progressive scan will not have any chroma bugs. Theoretically, this is the best method for progressive scanning. Only problems are with older dvd and cheapo dvd where progressive flags are not accurate. Newer discs are not a problem.

Phillips dvd players are fairly immune. They do a good job with the dcdi chip.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks