What's new

From the Earth to the Moon question (1 Viewer)

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
Hi guys, one quick question about From the Earth to the Moon. I have been thinking about picking this up lately and I checked amazon and it has this cover art:

However, when it first came out, I remember seeing it in a silvery packaging. Did I remember wrong? Or is what amazon posted the inside cover? Or did they repackaged the set?

Thanks. :)

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
That's the title page, with the silver sleeve removed. The silver sleeve featured indented letters of the title, I think they're showing the box without the sleeve because the title is easier to see...my Silver Sleeve fell apart within months, and the inside plastic racks have also dislodged from their paper backing. Bad run of glue, I guess. Either that, or I just watched the set too much. :)

Then again, it could be a re-release, so, I'd wait for some better-informed opinions.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The packaging on this title could be better. The glue attaching the trays to the cardboard dried up on my set, causing the package to fall apart. Numerous other people have reported a similar problem here. I ended up getting a four disc amaray case and downloading a new cover from dvdcoverart.com.

However, the program material is excellent in spite of the poor quality packaging, and is well worth a purchase.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
^ it's that bad? :frowning:

btw, did HBO change the packaging? This is what's posted on their site...

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
Nope, it is the same packaging. I bought it a few months ago and it had the silver slip cover. Mine is still intact right now and I hope it stays that way.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Since this series appeared originally on HBO and has never been released to commercial theaters, I've moved the thread to our new TV-on-DVD section.

KyleC

Supporting Actor
My glue dried up before I even got it. I got this as a gift for xmas in 98 and I opened it the first time and the plastic slot just slid right off. I also plan to DL a cover from dvdcoverart. The packaging on this title is crap but the series itself is just amazing. I've seen it 5x already.

Scott what kind of paper did you print yours on? Do you have to cut the paper? How is it holding up now?

John Simon

Second Unit
This is definately one of those cases that really is suited for a replacement cover from DVDCoverArt. There's a few variations on that site that basically use scans of the case (not the slipcover), formatted for 4-disc Alphas.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I use 11x17 high gloss photo paper and cut it down to legal size (I have a difficult time finding legal sized photo paper). The cover looks very professional -- it looks just like an original cover. Since the cover slides inside the plastic of a standard 4-disc alpha or amaray case, there are no durability issues.

Standard 8.5x11 photo paper works for single disc amaray cases, but it's not long enough for the larger multi-disc cases.

KyleC

Supporting Actor
Where should I get the paper, Staples? I'm printing covers for TNG, DS9, and From the Earth to the Moon.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Any office supply or computer store should carry oversized photo paper. You may want to check the online stores for Staples, OfficeMax, Office Depot and CompUSA to see who has the best price.

Brian E

Screenwriter
Haven't had a glue problem with my trays (bought the set the day it came out), but the silver sleeve on my set came apart about a year ago.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
If this is a re-release I hope it doesn't self destruct like mine did. Disc one does not allow me to play the Apollo VII episode and Disc three is spit right out. Do a forum search on this title and you will see that I was not alone. As far as I know no one has gotten any response from HBO or Warners about this problem. If am wrong I would love to know as I hate sitting on such an expensive unplayable set. FYI: I was able to view the set twice and problem occured about a year later.

Jeff>K>B

Stunt Coordinator
Same self-destructing packaging as many of you. Has anyone here purchased the attractive metal cases from Paul Champagne (designpaulchampagne.com)? The box for this series is the one that I would be most likely to buy, although the boxes for assembling your own collections of "The Terminator", "The Matrix", and "Jurassic Park" look very interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks