What's new

Quirks that you have when buying DVDs (1 Viewer)

StevenFC

Second Unit
Does anyone else have those strange things that keep you from just walking in and grabbing the first DVD on the shelf.

Mine are:

Making sure the cover is on straight and in flawless condition.

Making sure there isn't security tag damage to the cover.

Checking and double checking to make sure I have the widescreen version.

Scan for extras.

Try to get a feel for it's aesthetics and how it will look on my DVD rack.

I also like to look at the pictures to not only briefly relive the film over in my mind--but also try to judge if it has a good transfer. Like that works!

I do all of this to decide if it's worth the price or not. Presentation is very important to me. Almost as important as the movie itself. Which is why even though I really like Open Range, I can't stand to look at the cover.

Shopping for DVDs is half the fun!

Oh yeah, I never ever take the first one no matter what the condition. Unless it's the last one.

I think I'm nuts.:laugh:

David L

Agent
I can't wait to show my wife your post and say "See honey, I'm not the only one!" :D

But seriously, I also choose a properly aligned cover.

I check for those wrinkles in the plastic cover.

Most of all, I like a properly centered and aligned spine, so I grab a handful and look at the spines.

Sometimes, I'll toss a fullscreen back on the rack and say "damn fullscreen version, when are people going to realize" and walk off. I love the looks on their faces. :)

Glad to see I'm not alone!

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
I Always try and grab a disc from the back of the rack or the bottom of the pile or whatever, one that hasn't had half a dozen grubby hands handling it. :) Also check to make sure the security tags will not possibly tear the cover art so I too check that it is straight. I always double check I have the OAR version. I shake three times to make sure I do not have a floater. Better to spend an extra two minutes at the store than have to take an extra half hour to take back a floater.

BTW on the Open Range disc...too bad about the cover art. But I won't look at it too much.;)

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I give my DVDs a little shake before heading to the cash register to make sure that the disc inside isn't loose and possibly scratched.

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator
Spines. I like to get the best-aligned spine I can. I also do the shaking thing, to make sure it's in securely.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I had to give the case of the TTT EE a good look over to get the best looking case I could. I do buy lots of used DVDs and I tend to look to see if they have any scratches on the DVD and look and see if tehre are any cool special features. Some movies I won't buy new because I know there is lots of new material waiting to be put on a future edition of the movie. Then some DVD special editions are so lame that I just wait in hope that there is a better edition with more special features. I also hate full screen editions of a movie. I will avoid buying a widescreen version new and try my best to avoid being a full screen DVD used.

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

JonSpice

Stunt Coordinator
Buying more than I can keep up with, I have about 50 that I have never viewed yet. I have more on order like the 4 pack Airplane disastor film pack of anamorphics, from universal studios directly to me when they release them.

StevenFC

Second Unit
Oh yeah, I forgot about shaking the case to make sure the disc didn't come off the holder. I always do that.

I also buy used. But I go in with a different mindset when buying those. As long as the disc isn't scratched, I'm happy. I expect a little wear and tear on those. I'm just happy I found something I wanted at a cheap price. I'm a very frugal shopper.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this affliction. Is there a twelve-step program for this??:D

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Actually, it is just a one-step program. This will cure you, really fast.

1. drink 1 quart of water and go to the store. Do not go to the can before you leave! :)

Glenn

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I shake the case but that's about it. If it's a cardboard case, I try to find one that isn't damaged. Planet of the Apes is a prime example. The only widescreen copy I could find in town was horribly crushed.

However, I am pretty anal about he process once I get them home. I start by opening every one of them and making sure nothing is wrong with the disc. I then immediately enter each one into my database so I don't forget. Then they each go on the shelf (in alphabetical order of course). My wife laughs at me when I have to do this all immediately after buying them. She says if I don't hurry and do it, they might go bad.

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
I do some of the stuff you guys are talking about.

Pretty much give it a good shakin and make sure the price tag is not on the cardboard case (I.E. Circuit City and Alice in Wonderland comes to mind).

I don't take special notice to the spine alignment but I've never had a problem with it being misaligned either.

And of course I double check to make sure I got widescreen (I learned my lesson after accidently buying and opening the fullscreen version of Back to the future tilogy)

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
I'm pretty much in the same boat with you guys. I look for a properly aligned cover, and double-check the spine. Unfortunately, as was the case with "Gangs of New York," a properly aligned cover could not be found, because -- unless they reworked the next shipment -- the spine was completely out of alignment on the print job. I can't believe they can spend all that money and then not make sure they do it right. Besides the fact, "Gangs of New York" is just a hideous cover to begin with.

I also shake the DVD case to make sure there is no rattling. My biggest pet peeve is with Paramount DVDs since whoever puts the security labels on (the top, the bottom and the side -- c'mon, are ALL those really necessary?), does them in such a way that it causes the entire plastic cover to bubble and become wavy. STOP THAT!!!

When I get them home they go on my shelf in alphabetical order -- one section for movies, one section for TV shows and a separate section for music, stand-up comedy and documentaries. People will be scanning through my DVDs and eventually it will always hit them and they'll ask, "Oh my God, are these in alphabetical order???" Ha! Ha!

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor

My brother has about 100 and I was finally able to convince him that Alphabetical was the way to go. He didn't really care up to that point, but it made me nuts everytime I would go over there and see them like that.

Tony Stark

Stunt Coordinator
All I do is just grab one off the self and walk to the register. I must be an outcast or somethng.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Tony Stark:
Well, you're Iron Man and the head of a huge corporation... you don't have time to check out your DVDs. *adjusts glasses*

I always pull out the DVD from the very back of the shelf, shake it to make sure A) the DVD is in place and B) that there's a DVD in there! ( or the optional C) if the anime DVD has the limited edition item ;) )

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I approach the throng of HT geeks amassed in the narrow aisle who are wildly shaking, twisting and turning DVDs at every conceivable angle as they inspect for the most minute imperfection and politley ask that they get the hell out of the way so that I might obtain the DVD I came to purchase. :D

Stephen J*

Stunt Coordinator
I make sure it's widescreen, and take one from the middle of the pack. All I check the cover for is wrinkles and rips.

I really HATE going to Wal-Mart and having the associate pick one out of the case for me. But I'll do it for the price.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
First I make sure it's OAR and I haven't grabbed a P&S disc by accident. Then I look for centered spine, wrinkles, lose disc, etc.

Real Name
Anthony
I've never seen anything particularly anal about arranging DVDs in alphabetical order. If you've got hundreds of them,
why wouldn't you ? The process of shelf readjustment can be a bit of a pain but it makes it a lot easier to find a specific disc. People act like it's a real strain on the brain, but I've been on top of the alphabet for quite some time now.

I do catalogue, though, and that IS kind-of anal.

As far as having lots of discs you haven't seen yet, I should think we're all the same on that score. But, as someone once said - "What's the point in a library full of books you've read ?"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks