Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Star Trek Generations CE DVD??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
251 replies to this topic

#1 of 252 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,053 posts

Posted January 31 2004 - 08:39 AM

I loved the new version of Star Trek VI on DVD!!
I am really looking forward to the new version of Generations. Any news on a release date or extras for this film?
Hopefully the alternate Kirk scenes will be included. I know there was several other filmed scenes that were cut as well.
Thanks for posting.

#2 of 252 OFFLINE   Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,193 posts

Posted January 31 2004 - 09:33 AM

It's "logical" to assume that we'll get a CE of this movie at some point this year.

At this moment in time, this is the only Star Trek movie that's not presented on DVD with anamorphic enhancement. As such, it sticks out like a sore thumb. So ... let's hope it comes sooner rather than later ...
Joseph
---------------

#3 of 252 OFFLINE   Brad M

Brad M

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted January 31 2004 - 03:51 PM

I'll have it the day it is released. I hope as we get into the newer movies the extras get better. I've really enjoyed the reissues.
Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry.

#4 of 252 OFFLINE   Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter

• 1,256 posts

Posted January 31 2004 - 03:55 PM

I hope they get the sound right on the next DVD. The Dolby Digital track on the LD is much stronger than whats on the current DVD. The current disc sounds flaccid compared to the LD.

Neil

#5 of 252 OFFLINE   Beau

Beau

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted January 31 2004 - 06:18 PM

Don't know if it's been discussed in other Star Trek threads, but after Paramount re-releases the rest of the movies, will they put all the DVDs in a big boxset? Havent bought any yet, and wouldn't mind waiting a year and a half or so until they would put them all in a set.

#6 of 252 OFFLINE   EnricoE

EnricoE

Supporting Actor

• 516 posts

Posted January 31 2004 - 07:36 PM

i can't complain about no anamorph since i have the german dvd which is anamorph and looks great but the very obvious thing i'm really pissed off is the missing trailer for the film Posted Image so far i have no idea if the trailer for genrations is on another paramount release.

here is a screenshot from my dvd. i saved it as a .png file for best view Posted Image

generations anamorph 560kb, right click to save

#7 of 252 OFFLINE   Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted January 31 2004 - 07:42 PM

Quote:
generations anamorph 560kb, right click to save

Well, it's tough to tell how much of the quality of that screenshot is due to the DVD itself and how much is due to the png compression, but it looks like there's quite a bit of room for improvement. Fine detail is lacking and halos are everywhere...

DJ

#8 of 252 OFFLINE   EnricoE

EnricoE

Supporting Actor

• 516 posts

Posted January 31 2004 - 09:24 PM

Quote:
Fine detail is lacking and halos are everywhere...

edge enhacment is a bit of a letdown but when you watch the film it's not that bad. i hope paramount does a good job in the remastering of this film for the new special edition dvd Posted Image

#9 of 252 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,442 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted January 31 2004 - 11:57 PM

My bare-bones region 2 copy has a very nice colorful anamorphic picture with sharp 5.1 sound, but I'd happily buy it again if a 2-disc special edition is on the way.
First Contact is my favorite of the NG movies, I really hope that pops up in a 2-disc before the year is out.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#10 of 252 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,898 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted February 01 2004 - 12:09 AM

Quote:
Don't know if it's been discussed in other Star Trek threads, but after Paramount re-releases the rest of the movies, will they put all the DVDs in a big boxset?

Most likely. They have with every other disc released so far, I believe.

#11 of 252 OFFLINE   Kevin_H

Kevin_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 146 posts

Posted February 01 2004 - 03:17 AM

i can't complain about no anamorph since i have the german dvd which is anamorph and looks great

Darn, I guess there's no need to do a new Anamorphic transfer for Generations. I think it was a blessing in disguise that Paramount released Star Trek V and VI non anamorphic originally, because the new Anamorphic transfers of V and VI are much better than the reused Anamorphic transfers of III and IV. And Generations, because it one of the first Trek discs, would be an older transfer than III and IV and probably looks worse.

#12 of 252 OFFLINE   Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit

• 472 posts

Posted February 01 2004 - 04:58 AM

well Gen is my favorite ST film so they had better release it! I have already bought it on WS VHS, WS LD, and WS DVD so now I want an anamorphic edition! I would love a commentary by Stewart and Shatner! Posted Image
"We make it hard...the easy way."

Funniest line I have ever read in DVD a review: "'The Simple Life' stars rich, spoiled friends Paris Hilton and Nicole Ritchie as two rich, spoiled friends who are taken out of their posh Los Angeles lifestyle and deposited in a small town in Arkansas..."

#13 of 252 OFFLINE   Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter

• 1,385 posts

Posted February 01 2004 - 05:07 AM

I'd imagine parts of this film would be rather hard to compress as well, since the lighting for the Enterprise sets was changed so dramatically from the television broadcast. It was so dark with tons of shadowy corners, which made from some comical moments I thought.

You could usually see the bridge outside the door of Picard's ready room, but in one scene Riker leaves and walks into a pitch black bridge - rather odd.

As for a commentary by Stewart and Shatner, I would kind of be interested in Stewart's take, but I think Shatner pretty much covered everything in his "Movie Memories" book, though at the time it was published he had just heard about being called back to reshoot the ending, so he wasn't sure what was happening with that.

Just as an aside on "First Contact," I hope we get a good luck at the evolution of the story and some good deleted scenes on that one. I remember readeing an interview the John DeLancie and he said something about Q at one point being in First Contact. They way he talked it sounded like they may have actually shot it, but I'm not sure. I've never been able to figure out how he would have been in the movie though as it doesn't seem like it's "missing" from anywhere in the film.

#14 of 252 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted February 01 2004 - 05:11 AM

I loved the lighting in Generations. The golden sunlight streaming into Ten Forward was particularly nice.

I'm really looking forward to this ones release. Not only is the current version the only one that is not animorphic, but its also the only one missing the trailer.

BRING IT ON!
Ric

#15 of 252 OFFLINE   Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter

• 1,385 posts

Posted February 01 2004 - 05:13 AM

I liked the lighting too, and rather wished the Enterprise D hadn't been destroyed so we could see more of it lit like that in later films, it just doesn't make sense for the bridge to be pitch black is all Posted Image

#16 of 252 OFFLINE   Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter

• 1,256 posts

Posted February 01 2004 - 08:59 AM

Quote:
Not only is the current version the only one that is not animorphic, but its also the only one missing the trailer.
Isn't Nemesis also missing the trailer? The teaser can be found on the Trek III SE, but the full trailer, at least partially scored with Elfman's Planet of the Apes music, has not been put on DVD yet as far as I know.

Neil

#17 of 252 OFFLINE   Haden

Haden

Supporting Actor

• 782 posts

Posted February 01 2004 - 11:45 AM

I would only buy a Generations:CE DVD if they had the original opening scenes with Kirk's orbital skydiving. I've seen photos of that before, but I've always wanted to see the film footage. It can just be included as a supplement.

I'd buy the DVD for that...Otherwise, I'll pass. The film itself isn't entertaining enough for me to own barebones or with subpar extras. First Contact is the only TNG movie I really like and would purchase despite a lack of amazing extras.

#18 of 252 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted February 01 2004 - 11:56 AM

Quote:
Isn't Nemesis also missing the trailer

Oops, yer right! Fergot about that one! As I recall, I was pissed!

Ric

#19 of 252 OFFLINE   Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter

• 1,256 posts

Posted February 01 2004 - 12:27 PM

I agree. Generations has a lot of cut scenes that need to be released officially. This DVD will be a tremendous opportunity for that.

Neil

#20 of 252 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,053 posts

Posted February 08 2004 - 08:43 AM

Any news on a release date or extras?
Thanks for the posts!!

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow