Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Matching Receiver for Energy Take 5.2 system

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Kiran_kumar

Kiran_kumar

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 12:47 PM

Please recommend a matching receiver for Take 5.2 system.

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   AndrewErickson

AndrewErickson

Stunt Coordinator

• 128 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 03:43 PM

No such thing. Listen to a bunch and pick one that sounds good to you, has the features you want and has a remote control you can live with.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Drew_W

Drew_W

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 04:11 PM

Buy a receiver with headroom. Power to spare and/or pre-outs. Pre-outs for expandability (adding a separate power amp later on), and power which will give you more dynamic capability and better sound (usually). Alas, power ratings are not the same from manufacturer to manufacturer, so try out a few receivers. I run mine with an H/K 225 with which I can clip my Take 5.2s (the receiver clips, not the speakers). It sounds good, but it lacks power for the very dynamic organ music I listen to. But this is something of a rare situation, all the pop/rock/movies I play on it, it is more than able to put out a good deal of volume.

Each situation is different, each set of ears is different. Speakers are the most critical, but the amps must be there to back it up. As a good reference point, start by looking at what powered the speakers when you auditioned them and what ended up making you buy them. Go from there.
I gave up on tracking my collection and actually started watching what I have.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Mike Huber

Mike Huber

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 11:25 PM

I have an Integra dtr6.3 with my energy system,c-1 fronts,and take 5+1's in the back, (Upgraded my fronts from the smaller satelites) and love how it sounds. The receiver wasnt cheap but well worth it in my opinion. Go to a store and sit down and really take a good listen to them.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Leigh_M

Leigh_M

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted January 16 2004 - 11:35 PM

What does it mean to clip the receiver?

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Drew_W

Drew_W

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted January 17 2004 - 02:50 AM

The receiver runs out of power and creates distortion, which you hear as pops and crackles in the speakers.
I gave up on tracking my collection and actually started watching what I have.

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Kiran_kumar

Kiran_kumar

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted January 18 2004 - 01:00 AM

Thanks for your replies.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   ScottMP

ScottMP

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted January 18 2004 - 03:21 AM

I am running a Denon 3803 with my Take 5.2's and the system sounds wonderful. All formats. In a relatively small bedroom. Highly recommended.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Daniel Mai

Daniel Mai

Stunt Coordinator

• 228 posts

Posted January 18 2004 - 10:32 AM

I installed H/K 230 with Energy Encore for a friend and it was stunning.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   ReggieW

ReggieW

Screenwriter

• 1,574 posts

Posted January 18 2004 - 01:14 PM

Kiran,

it would also help if you gave a price bracket for the receiver. I gather since you are picking up the Take 5.2's that you are using them in a smaller room? If so, I would say the Denon 2803($799 retail but can be had for $550-$600)would offer the processing and upgradibility that you would need for a somewhat future proof (there really is no such thing in electronics) product. Heck, they're even available in silver now!

Hope this helps,

Reg
More Harlow on DVD Now! - Red Dust, Bombshell, Hold Your Man, Saratoga, The Iron Man, Goldie, The Secret Six, Beast of the City, Three Wise Girls, Reckless, Personal Property, Riff-raff, Suzy & Girl from Missouri