What's new

Best Disc you purchased by internet reccomendation? (1 Viewer)

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Just wondering if anyone out there has purchased a title (whether it be CD, DVD-A. SACD whatever) that you'd not heard completely but bought off the reccomendations of people on the internet(forums, reviews, etc).
For me, the the best example I can think of is one I just bought on Thursday. On Thursday I picked up Liz Phair's "Exile in Guyville" for an insanely low price at Best Buy (6.99, though I had to bring a print out of Best Buy.com with me since it was priced at 11.99 in the store for some reason).
Anyhow, I'd heard like two songs off of it and sampled a few on the iTunes store using the free 30 second previews but the low price and strong word of mouth I found on the internet made me pick it up.
My take on it? A massive :emoji_thumbsup: .This is perhaps one of the best titles I own, and definately top 3 of the discs by female artists that I own. The songs flow very well together and call me crazy but I really dig Liz's husky voice.
Anyone else ever gone on the reccomendation of a total stranger via the internet?

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
for me, it is wendy carlos' 'switched-on box set', although i had been a fan of her work on the shining and a clockwor orange, so it wasn't a big surprise that i loved the box set. i heard great things about dr. octagon's 'dr. octagonecologyst' and karate's 'the bed is in the ocean' and bought them both, and love them both.

CJ

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
boy, i have quite a few. of recent memory:

aimee mann
beth orton :emoji_thumbsup:
morcheeba
wilco :emoji_thumbsup:
beck
a perfect circle :emoji_thumbsup:
miles davis :emoji_thumbsup:

there's probably more, but i don't remember. all of these were based on forum chats, personal testimonials, etc.

James Corey

Stunt Coordinator
Just one pops to mind. Ramsay Midwood's "Shoot Out At The OK Chinese Restaurant". A great collection of songs influenced by Tom Waits, Greg Brown, JJ Cale, John Prine, et al.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if this would be considered a reccomendation...but someone on IRC a long time ago in a horror channel told me "hey, watch this music vid, it's pretty cool". It was the video for Payback by Flaw. It reminded me of the movie Squirm. Well, I watched it, and liked it. A few weeks later I saw their CD, Through the Eyes, in the Best Buy ad for $5.99, so I picked it up. It's one of my favorite CDs. There is a hidden rendition of Only the Strong after the last listed song on the disc. It's really good.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Way back in the early days of the internet, back before the WWW was remotly popular, I was on a Rush mailing list called "The National Midnight Star". There was a nice thread on bands people would want to see open for Rush. More often than not, people were saying this band called Dream Theater. So, I picked up their only album at the time, "Images And Words", and proceded to get blown away.

Since then, I wouldn't know what I'd do for music without the Internet. Most of what I own has been from someone's recommendation at some point.

Jason

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
hey cool a fellow Rush fan. I vaguely remember the National Midnight Star, though I may just be remembering the Web version of the site that existed for a while.

TomCW

Second Unit
I listen to very little radio, as it generally sucks, so the Internet is THE way I find new music. CD Baby is great for indie titles. The last thing I got on a recommend was Colleen Sexton - Greatest Find, as recommended by RachaelB, here.

Tom

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Robert Johnson, the complete recordings. It's a trip listening to this after knowing what came after such as the Stones, Cream, Zeppelin, ZZ Top, etc.

kamyiu

Stunt Coordinator

cool! i was on the nms too! whatever happened to that list?

this past year, my favorite recommendation is múm. ended up picking up all their albums i could find, and i went to see their live show this summer.

Cagri

Second Unit
I discovered Tool after seeing in this very forum how they were praised by people who also like my favourite bands, and I couldn't be more pleased.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
cool! i was on the nms too! whatever happened to that list?
It died a few years ago, after Neil's losses and the band going on hiatus. It couldn't survive that, and the person running the list was fed up at all the flame wars. Too bad, since that was the original music mailing list that I was on. I still have the list t-shirt as well somewhere..

Jason

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I bought Wilco "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" based on reviews here and enjoyed it immensely. I also picked up "Pavane Pour Une Infanto" from LA4 based on a recommendation from a friend of mine. While it is a bit on the pricey side, both the music and disc quality are excellent! Just do a search on "LA4" under the artist search here:

http://www.cduniverse.com

Steve Kuester

Second Unit
About a year ago I bought a DVD-Audio player, and earlier this spring I was looking for some DVD-A titles. On this forum some people were mentioning Blue Man Groups "Audio" on dvd-a. I picked it up and was absolutely floored. I have since bought everything BMG has released and have seen them perform 4 times this year. (3 times in Minneapolis, once in Vegas) But I'm not a freak about them or anything.

Really, I'm not.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
LUXT hand down. Heard of them here, checked out theier website, downloaded one song and was hooked. Can't get enough of them.....

R~

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Beck, Sea Change, SACD. Amazing album, amazing disc, amazing artist. I am a Beck fan, but never heard his latest album before I bought it.

JordanS

Second Unit
Someone recommended the album, "OK Computer" by Radiohead. After letting that album sink in, I went out and immediately bought all of their other albums. In my own opinion, I think Radiohead is one of the best bands to come out of the last two decades. Great lyrics and the music is brilliant, IMO.

:) :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks