What's new

Surge Protector Question.... (1 Viewer)

Paul_III

Agent
Hi,
I bought a TrippLite surge protector for my main HT surge protector, where I run my TV, cable box, coax, etc. through. However, this particular surge protector has the undesirable effect of filtering out HD channels (I have an HD box from my cable company), and certain digital Pay Per View channels. All other channels come through fine, so I'm guessing it has to do with the frequency at which these specific channels are being sent through. Of course when I connect the coax directly to the TV and bypass the surge protector, all the channels work fine. My question is whether this is something that is common, and if so what kind of surge protector should I buy to avoid this problem? Are there newer protectors out there, that are more sensitive to the coax input, and won't filter out these channels?

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Perhaps this model TrippLite isn’t up to the task, as you surmise…is it not an Isobar series?

You might be safe enough to run the HD cable box coax directly to the monitor esp. if you live in a subdivision where the utilities are undergounded, and/or you can verify that the cable co. has attached their feed to your residence ground at the service entrance.

But if you want specific surge protection on the coax (a good idea in most cases where electrical storm activity is prevalent, and there's overhead pole wiring) you might:

1. Upgrade the surge protector to say Panamax MAX 8 Coax at $49 Here a unit specifically designed for cable coax pass-thru.
2. Keep the TrippLite and instead run the cable coax thru an inline protector, perhaps a silicon diode type. I don’t have a link at hand.

bill

Paul_III

Agent
From that Panamax link you provided:

"The unit also has 2 female F connectors to protect a coax line. The unit contains a shielded SignalPerfect circuit, ensuring a clean, clear connection, and is HDTV ready. A coax cable is included. Clamping level is 0.7V, and insertion loss is

Paul_III

Agent
Thanks Marc! Actually there's a Radio Shack on my way home, I think I might just pick one up and see if it works for me, since it's so inexpensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks