Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Movie Death Scenes that really got to you...

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 of 75 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,589 posts

Posted December 10 2003 - 06:33 PM

I don't mean the slice and dice deaths in the slasher movies which might startle you but have no true emotional resonance. I mean the death scenes that involve characters you have grown to care about, and whose deaths seem uncommonly realistic in the context of an intrinsically unrealistic medium. A few of my choices: TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE. Humphrey Bogart's death. Not that Dobbs is a terribly likable character, but those moments leading up to his murder are frightening as hell. One can easily imagine onesself in his shoes, realizing the bandits plan to kill him and trying to seem casual as he tries to find ways to talk them out of it. THE CHINA SYNDROME. Jack Lemmon's death. This is a man we truly have come to side with - we recognize him as an everyday guy who summons up the courage to blow the whistle on a nuclear power company, in spite of his misgivings. His attempt to articulate the dangers of the plant as he quickly loses his cool on live t.v. are heartbreaking, as are the terrible moments that follow. DR. ZHIVAGO. Omar Sharif's death. I have to say I never really identified much with the Zhivago character per say, but his death as he pursues who he believes is Lara getting off a streetcar is quite spooky. The heart attack looks real as hell - his face is ashen and he struggles for breath, but keeps walking toward that woman until he collapses. A similarly effective heart attack scene occurs at the end of SHIP OF FOOLS. Makes me feel vulverable - you never know when your time is gonna come. IN COLD BLOOD. The deaths of the Clutter's. You know this is coming, yet the whole thing is so horrifying. You can put yourself into the shoes of any of the victims and wonder what you would do...could you talk your way out of being killed? Could you escape? Overpower one of the killers? There are scores of others, including OLD YELLER and BAMBI, but I thought I'd narrow this down to human characters.

#2 of 75 OFFLINE   RodneyT

RodneyT

Stunt Coordinator

• 138 posts

Posted December 10 2003 - 07:21 PM

Tom Hanks in Saving Private Ryan (followed by that old guy crying over the gravestone) always makes me howl like a baby. Emotional wrenching like this might be trickery by many filmmakers, but it works with me every single damned time.
I once stood out from the crowd. Now, I am trying desperately to get back in.

#3 of 75 OFFLINE   Derek Lauzon

Derek Lauzon

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted December 10 2003 - 10:09 PM

The scene in The Wild Geese when Richard Harris asks Richard Burton to shoot him.

#4 of 75 OFFLINE   Rich Romero

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor

• 731 posts

Posted December 10 2003 - 10:32 PM

I hate when the ewok dies in Return of the Jedi even though I don't like that movie or the series in general. The other ewok just looks so sad. Posted Image

Jenny's death in Forrest Gump always got me to an extent also. I think it's Tom Hank's little speech at her grave. I love that movie.

I'm probably missing a few but those are the ones that come to mind.
My DVD's "There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

#5 of 75 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,761 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted December 10 2003 - 10:53 PM

Boromir's death in Fellowship of the Ring, I was a sobbing wreck by this point in the film.. "I would have followed you, my brother, my Captain, my King..." my eyes well up just typing those words... Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

My DVD and Blu-ray Blog

#6 of 75 OFFLINE   Art Martinez

Art Martinez

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 12:55 AM

Chow Yun Fat in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. The look of pain on Michelle Yeoh brings me tears.

#7 of 75 OFFLINE   Scotty_McW

Scotty_McW

Second Unit

• 372 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 01:02 AM

Mel Gibson in Braveheart. Every time I see that scene, it gets me more and more.

#8 of 75 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 01:06 AM

May I suggest spoilers after the titles so we can only read about movies we've seen? -- H

#9 of 75 OFFLINE   Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 01:13 AM

Some really big ones come to mind:

Superman - the deaths of everyone on Krypton, Jonathan Kent, and Lois

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - Spock's death

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock - Kirk's son's death, followed by the destruction of the Enterprise

Forrest Gump - Jenny's death

Titanic - the deaths of the 1500 people, followed by Jack's death

Spider-Man - Uncle Ben's death

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones - Shmi's death (it was extremely hard for me to watch this moment and Uncle Ben's death in Spider-Man because my dad had died only two months before; to this day, when I put in those two DVDs, I have to skip over those two moments)

Star Trek: Generations - Kirk's death (revised ending)

Gladiator - Maximus' death

Somewhere in Time - Richard Collier's death by heartbreak
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#10 of 75 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,914 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted December 11 2003 - 01:54 AM

In "X-Men 2":
Jean Grey. Her decision to sacrifice herself really caught me unawares and I just about lost it in the theater.
In "Fellowship of the Ring":
Both the "death" of Gandalf and the death of Boromir. I can only imagine what I'll be like at ROTK.
In "Driving Miss Daisy":
The final scene at the nursing home between Hoke and Miss Daisy. Not a death scene, but still very emotional.

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#11 of 75 OFFLINE   Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 03:04 AM

[quote] Chow Yun Fat in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. The look of pain on Michelle Yeoh brings me tears. [quote]
Yup, that one always gets me.

Also, Boromir in FOTR, and the whole ending of Last of the Mohicans.

#12 of 75 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 03:41 AM

The Green Mile -
John Coffee's death - My first time crying at a movie, and my friend who was with me didn't hold back as well

#13 of 75 OFFLINE   Billy C.

Billy C.

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 05:22 AM

[quote] May I suggest spoilers after the titles so we can only read about movies we've seen? [quote]

I agree - someone really should go back and spoilerize these.

#14 of 75 OFFLINE   James T

James T

Screenwriter

• 1,643 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 05:48 AM

Donnie Darko
When Gretchen is run over by the car and Donnie holding her lifeless body. Also when Donnie is laughing at the end right before the plane engine hits.
Superman
Lois' death did for me and to see Superman's reaction afterwards

#15 of 75 OFFLINE   James Sarno

James Sarno

Stunt Coordinator

• 138 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 06:38 AM

I really hate to admit this and my wife gets on me all the time about it but..."Beaches"
...the last 30 minutes gets me all the time...
...brutalPosted Image

#16 of 75 OFFLINE   Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

• 1,551 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 07:50 AM

[quote] Mel Gibson in Braveheart. Every time I see that scene, it gets me more and more. [quote]
I had to steal a couple, but here are some other ones that nobody has mentioned.

Giovanni Ribisi in Saving Private Ryan.

Willem Dafoe in Platoon.

Mufasa in The Lion King

ET in ET

Mick in RockyIII
"I'm your Huckleberry"

#17 of 75 OFFLINE   Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 07:52 AM

Robert Downey Jr. in Less Than Zero

Jon Voight in The Champ

Sean Bean in The Fellowship of the Ring

Someone I won't mention in The Return of the King Posted Image

Debra Winger in Terms of Endearment

Adam Goldberg in Saving Private Ryan

Kevin Spacey in Outbreak

#18 of 75 OFFLINE   Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 08:13 AM

I'd say SE7EN gets to me, not a teary way, but that just "gets" to me.
The fact that we did not see it happen on film is even more gruesome, through our imagination of what really happened.

#19 of 75 OFFLINE   AndyDC

AndyDC

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 08:23 AM

Titanic
When the mother puts those two little kids to bed in Titanic, knowing that there's nothing else to do . . .

#20 of 75 OFFLINE   Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 08:33 AM

[quote] Debra Winger in Terms of Endearment [quote]

You had to go and mention that one didn't you? Posted Image

Well, there's The Green Mile.

Fredo's death in The Godfather Part II
- pretty much is damning Michael's soul.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users