Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

ABBOTT & COSTELLO dvds and "...Meet Captain Kidd" (coming to DVD?)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#101 of 114 OFFLINE   John Sparks

John Sparks

Supporting Actor

• 932 posts
  • LocationMenifee, CA

Posted January 13 2015 - 07:57 AM

Hi John!

Just this afternoon, I received the above Roan DVD and I must confess that, while the color looks decent overall, I'm a bit disappointed in regards to the pixelation, which becomes apparent when I sit about 6 feet from our 32 inch 720p Flatscreen.  I'd hate to see how this would look on a 1080p!  I know that this digital transfer is from the year 2000, but I have plenty of other titles from the turn of the millennium that don't have this issue!  My other slight beef is that this set isn't listed as two DVD-Rs (I had assumed they would be pressed discs!) on Amazon, though they indeed, are!

This is too bad, as I had previously considered purchasing the Roan DVD of THE BIG TREES, starring Kirk Douglas, but having viewed part of their edition of JACK AND THE BEANSTALK, I think I'll hold off, and hope that a better edition might turn up someday, as I do for JATB!

CHEERS!  :)

Tony

P.S.  Having taken a second look at the discs, I noticed that while they are each labelled as Roan, they bear the year 2011, instead of 2000!  Also, the only other physical evidence of these being DVD-R's (Besides on the DVDs themselves!) is a sticker that has been affixed at the bottom of the DVD Cover around the binding area!  Now, I'm wondering whether I've fallen victim to piracy?  Any thoughts?

Tony,

My copy of the Roan (both movies) disc is pressed and two sided. The packaging says 2006, maybe this was the time Troma bought them out. The disc says 2001, which is the year it originally came out from Roan.

Bob Furmanek's LD was the best edition of "Africa Screams." The best on DVD, like I said above is the Silver Screen Collection Edition from 1997. The packaging was still in its infancy because this disc slid out from the bottom.

Good luck trying to find the Silver Screen Edition!

EDIT: I just looked at Amazon and there are a ton of these movies from different companies. There is one for "Africa Screams" put out by Hal Roach and Image. The reviews say it's the best copy from the original film source but fails to mention Bob...probably because they ripped it off from him. I just may buy it to find out.

Off topic by a hair, Roach put out an edition of "Gulliver's Travels" years ago. A company named Thunderbean was able to get a beautiful copy and transfer it to DVD last year. There was no comparison between the two. Hal's was garbage and Thunderbean's was glorious...beautiful Technicolor.

...retired at last...and Ray Harryhausen at my side!!!

My HT equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB PJ(Avical ISFd); 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panny BD30 Player; Tosh HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers(center, towers, rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC HD Cable Box; Panamax Line Conditioner.

#102 of 114 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted January 13 2015 - 08:18 AM

Yeah my Roan double feature is also pressed and no pixilation. I bought it many years ago.

Warner Archives version of Meet Captain Kidd is light years better than the VHS and TV versions. And much better than the TCM print. But as Tony mentioned these films are Cinecolor and not Technicolor so they will never have real rich looking colors.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

#103 of 114 OFFLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Supporting Actor

• 709 posts
  • LocationNorth Bay, ON; Canada

Posted January 13 2015 - 09:02 AM

Yeah my Roan double feature is also pressed and no pixilation. I bought it many years ago.

Warner Archives version of Meet Captain Kidd is light years better than the VHS and TV versions. And much better than the TCM print. But as Tony mentioned these films are Cinecolor and not Technicolor so they will never have real rich looking colors.

Hi Randy!

When I get a chance, I'll take a few screenshots from my JACK AND THE BEANSTALK "Roan" DVD-R (From 2011.), as I would really love to get some feedback on how this compares with the previous Roan DVD pressings!

Apparently, the Roan AFRICA SCREAMS/JACK AND THE BEANSTALK has undergone at least a couple of re-pressings since it's initial release back around 2000 (That's the year marked on my backcover.), and according to John Sparks, his single 2006 Roan DVD is pressed, but double-sided.  I think that I dislike those more than commercial DVD-Rs!

Tony

#104 of 114 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,866 posts

Posted January 13 2015 - 09:43 AM

Three-color Supercinecolor (red, blue, yellow) can look very nice - when transferred properly.

31383_1476305590384_7575258_n_zps8a1294a

30553_1485730786008_2178136_n_zps0ad4a58

Kidd-3_zpsb5bf0bac.jpg

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

SAMSPACE_02_edited-1_zpse1008419.jpg

#105 of 114 OFFLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Supporting Actor

• 709 posts

Posted January 13 2015 - 10:05 AM

Here are a few screenshots from the 2011 Roan DVD of JACK AND THE BEANSTALK:

Yes, we have sepia!

dvd_snapshot_00.00.11_2015.01.13_12.29.36.jpg

dvd_snapshot_00.00.20_2015.01.13_12.29.52.jpg

dvd_snapshot_00.01.51_2015.01.13_12.32.40.jpg

Wow, my right leg is looking blurry, today!

dvd_snapshot_00.21.21_2015.01.13_12.19.13.jpg

dvd_snapshot_00.55.34_2015.01.13_12.26.44.jpg

Hey, who turned off the sepia?

dvd_snapshot_01.21.37_2015.01.13_12.28.52.jpg

dvd_snapshot_01.21.47_2015.01.13_12.29.10.jpg

Can anyone pleas kindly tell me how these shots compare with the previous Roan DVD issues from 2001 and 2006?

#106 of 114 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,866 posts

Posted January 13 2015 - 10:31 AM

That's my transfer, originally done for laser disc in the early 90's. It's standard definition and could look much better with a fresh 2K harvest.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#107 of 114 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted January 13 2015 - 10:49 AM

I still have your Africa Screams and Jack and the Beanstalk Laserdiscs Bob.

Both are treasured possessions and worth keeping just for the extras. Love the storybook record of Lou Costello doing Jack and the Beanstalk included on that Laserdisc.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

#108 of 114 OFFLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Supporting Actor

• 709 posts

Posted January 13 2015 - 10:50 AM

That's my transfer, originally done for laser disc in the early 90's. It's standard definition and could look much better with a fresh 2K harvest.

Hi Bob!

Thanks for the clarification.  I'm guessing that JACK AND THE BEANSTALK looks better on the 90's Laserdisc issue.  I think you might have also mentioned somewhere that the original film elements for the later sepia sequences were missing, which would explain them being in Black & White?

I do also wonder about the Blu-Ray of JACK AND THE BEANSTALK that I saw listed on Amazon not too long ago, which is listed as "Currently Unavailable."

CHEERS!

Tony

#109 of 114 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted January 13 2015 - 10:56 AM

Hi Tony

Jack and the Beanstalk was always meant to open and end in Black and White similar to The Wizard of Oz.

Hi Bob!

Thanks for the clarification.  I'm guessing that JACK AND THE BEANSTALK looks better on the 90's Laserdisc issue.  I think you might have also mentioned somewhere that the original film elements for the later sepia sequences were missing, which would explain them being in Black & White?

I do also wonder about the Blu-Ray of JACK AND THE BEANSTALK that I saw listed on Amazon not too long ago, which is listed as "Currently Unavailable."

CHEERS!

Tony

#110 of 114 OFFLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Supporting Actor

• 709 posts

Posted January 13 2015 - 12:36 PM

Hi Tony

Jack and the Beanstalk was always meant to open and end in Black and White similar to The Wizard of Oz.

Hi Randy!

But THE WIZARD OF OZ opens and closes in Sepia!  The supposed Black & White WOZ sequences was perpetuated by the fact that they were presented that way for many years on television before this was eventually corrected.

Either way, your explanation doesn't cover the fact that JACK AND THE BEANSTALK opens in Brown tinted Sepia, but ends in Black and White, instead!  I don't suspect the film was originally presented in this fashion.

CHEERS!

Tony

#111 of 114 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,866 posts

Posted January 13 2015 - 12:58 PM

The opening and closing sequences in JACK were always sepia toned.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#112 of 114 OFFLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Supporting Actor

• 709 posts

Posted January 13 2015 - 01:05 PM

The opening and closing sequences in JACK were always sepia toned.

Hi Bob!

At the very least, any tinting in the end sequence looks much lighter to my eyes than at the beginning.  Do you recall whether you had to draw from different film elements for each? 

Tony

#113 of 114 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted January 13 2015 - 01:14 PM

Sorry Tony I misunderstood what you were asking.

I'll have to check my copies as I don't remember it looking different at the end, I do remember it looking Brown/Red like OZ in both sequences.

#114 of 114 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,866 posts

Posted January 13 2015 - 01:23 PM

At the very least, any tinting in the end sequence looks much lighter to my eyes than at the beginning.  Do you recall whether you had to draw from different film elements for each?

No, they were consistent on the original 1952 35mm print and our video master.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#115 of 114 OFFLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Supporting Actor

• 709 posts

Posted January 13 2015 - 02:04 PM

No, they were consistent on the original 1952 35mm print and our video master.

Hi Bob!

In that case, I'm thinking that when the transfer for the Roan DVD version was made, the tint and/or brightness levels weren't consistent for the first and last Sepia sequences.  That last one looks almost Black & White to me!

I wholeheartedly agree with you that a 2k digital transfer is in order, and that whoever undertakes this task ought to utilize your services and compensate you accordingly!  Frankly, I fail to understand why Warner won't release this film when they presumably own the rights to this as they do for ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET CAPTAIN KIDD, which they DID release!  In my opinion, it is high time that JACK AND THE BEANSTALK be brought into the HD world in a proper manner!

CHEERS!

Tony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users