What's new

Losing Isolated Scores on SEs (1 Viewer)

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Has anyone else noticed that we sometimes lose alternate audio tracks with isolated scores when a DVD is re-released as a special edition? It has happened most recently with the Collector's Edition of The Dark Crystal and with the upcoming release of Alien.

Here's a list I've compiled of movies with which this has occurred. The original fewer-features DVD has an isolated score while the re-released special edition does not:

Alien (two score tracks dropped)
Amadeus
The Dark Crystal
The Mummy
Patch Adams
Space Jam

Any others I've missed (excluding Superbits, which generally drop all extras)?

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
It was an isolated score on the main menu.
Jerry Goldsmith's Mummy score is under the Languages menu of the original DVD. If you just let it sit on that screen, the score plays in its entirety in full DD 5.1 audio. It's actually quite an incredible hidden feature (probably a mistake by Universal; it was announced but not listed or properly presented on the DVD). It runs about 90 minutes, and there is no way to fast forward through it or navigate it in any other way.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
It's the complete score to The Mummy. I think it even includes source music. Excellent special feature!

Neil

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
The reason we don't get more isolated scores is simply because the studios fear losing revenue from soundtrack CDs.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
The reason we don't get more isolated scores is simply because the studios fear losing revenue from soundtrack CDs.
But this thread isn't about that. It's about what isolated scores were on an earlier version of a DVD and then dropped for subsequent releases.

Besides, isolated scores continue to come out on DVD. Soundtrack.net lists more than 125. And CD revenue isn't the likely cuplrit: The Blade II DVD from New Line (part of Time Warner) includes an isolated score, but the soundtrack (score) CD was released by Varese Sarabande (part of Universal Music Group). New Line has no major financial interest in how that CD sells; it merely licensed the music to Varese.

Matt_P

Second Unit
It's usually the same reason why Criterion DVDs go out of print: Studios have the rights to include an isolated score for only that specific release, or a certain period of time, and since music rights are expensive to maintain, they usually don't renew such rights for a later release. Also, there is a general fear of including isolated scores at all, due to the frequency that bootleg score albums are sourced from the isolated score tracks, and the composers themselves lose soundtrack revenues.

It's a shame isolated scores are rarely seen anymore. Being a big film score fan, it's probably my favorite feature, especially when it's paired with a composer commentary. Goldenthal's Final Fantasy is one of my favs.

BTW, that Mummy isolated track is great! IMHO, some of Goldsmith's best stuff was not included on the soundtrack album, and can be heard in full 5.1 on the DVD, including source cues! Bliss.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
At least we can count on Danny Elfman. Too bad there were no isolated scores on The Hulk or Spider-Man, but there were on Planet of the Apes and Red Dragon... Hopefully Big Fish will also feature one.

I think there should be more isolated scores! If a score wins an Oscar, that should make it automatic.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Isolated scores are becoming scarcer, one of the things that attracted me to to DVD years ago was that they also had isolated music tracks. I naively thought then that virtually every movie released on dvd will have this feature, and I got really excited!
Oh well, out of nearly 800 dvds in my collection, 41 have a music only track.
Including 5 isolated scores from Jerry Goldsmith, 3 from John Williams, 5 from Danny Elfman, 2 from James Horner, 1 from Bernard Herrmann and 1 from Ennio Morricone.

jonathan_little

Stunt Coordinator
It's usually the same reason why Criterion DVDs go out of print: Studios have the rights to include an isolated score for only that specific release, or a certain period of time, and since music rights are expensive to maintain, they usually don't renew such rights for a later release. Also, there is a general fear of including isolated scores at all, due to the frequency that bootleg score albums are sourced from the isolated score tracks, and the composers themselves lose soundtrack revenues.
The record labels and unionized musicians whose contracts require re-use fees to be paid for score album releases certainly lose money because of bootlegs. Composers on the other hand, from what I've heard, typically get very little from CD album sales anyway and probably aren't losing as much as the other people involved with the music.

I've also heard an argument that a DVD isolated score could be viewed as a separate "phonorecord" release, requiring new usage fees be paid to the orchestra as if it was being released on CD. I do not know if this is a valid argument or not, but perhaps just the idea of it is enough for some studios to forget isolated scores. Of course, if all scores were recorded somewhere (e.g. Europe) without those pesky AFM folks, we'd be all set. ;)

I don't know how difficult score recording music rights are to maintain. Rights for pop songs and other pieces of source music are perhaps difficult and/or expensive to keep up with, but score recordings and the score itself are usually owned by the studio. I have CDs that contain decades old score recordings that the studio apparently still owns the rights to, while the films that the scores accompany have apparently fallen into the public domain. I doubt that the studios went through any extra effort to protect the rights of these score recordings while letting the rights to the films expire. Instead, I assume that copyrights for music recordings persist longer than those for films.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
The original two-disc edition of Patton from Fox had an isolated score by Jerry Goldsmith. This OOP edition was replaced by a one-disc release--similar to what happened with Fight Club, The Abyss, Castaway, Planet of the Apes (the Tim Burton version) etc. However, unlike those discs, Patton has not been re-packaged and re-released.

Hopefully Fox will re-release the two-disc edition in the near future. I won't buy the single-disc release, but the two-disc edition would be an automatic purchase (if only I could find one).

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
That's my little secret Oscar... oh alright, Herrmann's isolated score is on the 'North by Northwest' dvd, and Morricone's is the very rare region 8 dvd of 'Good the Bad and the Ugly'... no I made that bit up, Morricone's is on 'John Carpenter's The Thing', not really an isolated score but the CD soundtrack which is an alternate track on the 80min documentary.

Patton also had the CD soundtrack on an alternate track during the documentary, not isolated on the film itself.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Honestly, it makes no difference to me. I don't have enough time to watch the movie and the 1 - 4 commentaries, let alone a track of music.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE SOUNDTRACKS (I have over 250 movie soundtracks).

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Steve for the answer

Lucky that I have both dvds and will give them a spin later tonight.

The alien music track is very haunting

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks