Losing Isolated Scores on SEs

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Randy A Salas, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

Has anyone else noticed that we sometimes lose alternate audio tracks with isolated scores when a DVD is re-released as a special edition? It has happened most recently with the Collector's Edition of The Dark Crystal and with the upcoming release of Alien.

Here's a list I've compiled of movies with which this has occurred. The original fewer-features DVD has an isolated score while the re-released special edition does not:

Alien (two score tracks dropped)
    Amadeus
    The Dark Crystal
    The Mummy
    Patch Adams
    Space Jam

Any others I've missed (excluding Superbits, which generally drop all extras)?

2. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Well, Space Jam didn't have the movie on the previous version [​IMG]

3. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    I'm pretty sure The Mummy didn't have an isolated score. Maybe the cd soundtrack was playing on one of the menus?

4. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

It was an isolated score on the main menu.

5. Randy A Salas

6. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

sounds like I will need to get Alien dvd after all.

Thanks for the tip

[​IMG]

7. Steve Christou

Steve Christou
    90mins of music! Thanks for the tip I thought it'd just be the cd soundtrack which I already have, must remember to check it out.

8. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    It's the complete score to The Mummy. I think it even includes source music. Excellent special feature!

Neil

9. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

The reason we don't get more isolated scores is simply because the studios fear losing revenue from soundtrack CDs.

10. Randy A Salas

11. Matt_P

Matt_P Second Unit

It's usually the same reason why Criterion DVDs go out of print: Studios have the rights to include an isolated score for only that specific release, or a certain period of time, and since music rights are expensive to maintain, they usually don't renew such rights for a later release. Also, there is a general fear of including isolated scores at all, due to the frequency that bootleg score albums are sourced from the isolated score tracks, and the composers themselves lose soundtrack revenues.

It's a shame isolated scores are rarely seen anymore. Being a big film score fan, it's probably my favorite feature, especially when it's paired with a composer commentary. Goldenthal's Final Fantasy is one of my favs.

BTW, that Mummy isolated track is great! IMHO, some of Goldsmith's best stuff was not included on the soundtrack album, and can be heard in full 5.1 on the DVD, including source cues! Bliss.

12. PaulP

PaulP Producer

At least we can count on Danny Elfman. Too bad there were no isolated scores on The Hulk or Spider-Man, but there were on Planet of the Apes and Red Dragon... Hopefully Big Fish will also feature one.

I think there should be more isolated scores! If a score wins an Oscar, that should make it automatic.

13. Steve Christou

Steve Christou
    Isolated scores are becoming scarcer, one of the things that attracted me to to DVD years ago was that they also had isolated music tracks. I naively thought then that virtually every movie released on dvd will have this feature, and I got really excited!
    Oh well, out of nearly 800 dvds in my collection, 41 have a music only track.
    Including 5 isolated scores from Jerry Goldsmith, 3 from John Williams, 5 from Danny Elfman, 2 from James Horner, 1 from Bernard Herrmann and 1 from Ennio Morricone.

14. Randy A Salas

That's it exactly, Matt.

15. jonathan_little

jonathan_little Stunt Coordinator

16. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

The original two-disc edition of Patton from Fox had an isolated score by Jerry Goldsmith. This OOP edition was replaced by a one-disc release--similar to what happened with Fight Club, The Abyss, Castaway, Planet of the Apes (the Tim Burton version) etc. However, unlike those discs, Patton has not been re-packaged and re-released.

Hopefully Fox will re-release the two-disc edition in the near future. I won't buy the single-disc release, but the two-disc edition would be an automatic purchase (if only I could find one).

17. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Steve

which dvds are you talking about with Bernard Hermann & Ennio Morricone ?

Cheers

Oscar

18. Steve Christou

Steve Christou
    That's my little secret Oscar... oh alright, Herrmann's isolated score is on the 'North by Northwest' dvd, and Morricone's is the very rare region 8 dvd of 'Good the Bad and the Ugly'... no I made that bit up, Morricone's is on 'John Carpenter's The Thing', not really an isolated score but the CD soundtrack which is an alternate track on the 80min documentary.

Patton also had the CD soundtrack on an alternate track during the documentary, not isolated on the film itself.

19. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

Honestly, it makes no difference to me. I don't have enough time to watch the movie and the 1 - 4 commentaries, let alone a track of music.
    Don't get me wrong, I LOVE SOUNDTRACKS (I have over 250 movie soundtracks).

20. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Thanks Steve for the answer

Lucky that I have both dvds and will give them a spin later tonight.

The alien music track is very haunting