What's new

Connect home theatre into home distributed audio system (1 Viewer)

Kevin Nikiforuk

Auditioning
Hi there, time for another stupid question, I hope you all have some stupid answers! =)

I recently moved into my new home that I had wired for distributed audio. My intention is to drive the system with the front channels of my JVC home theatre reciever, but it only has one set of speaker outputs for the front channels. How can I best accomplish it?

The inputs to the distributed audio system are binding posts, and I had an A-B switch wired into the system so I can disable the output to the rest of the house if I want to watch a movie.

My home theatre is the JVC THE-100 HTIB system, the specs for which you can find on JVC's Canadian web page, just search for THE-100.

My distributed audio speakers are Phoenix Gold, but I can't remember the model off the top of my head.

If there's any other relevant info I haven't included, let me know and I'll respond.

Thanks!
Kevin

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Welcome to the Forum, Kevin!

Hmm, don’t know that I’ve ever heard of a home distributed audio system done with speaker-level signals.

Not knowing the details of how it’s wired or set up – I’d say that since you have an A/B switch, you don’t need two sets of speaker outs from the JVC. That’s what A/B switches are for, to hook multiple speakers to a single amplifier. Just send the JVC’s L/R speaker outs to the switch, then “A” to the home theater speakers, and “B to the distributed system.

However, this depends on how everything is wired in the distributed system – how many speakers and how they are connected. If there are several sets of speakers wired in parallel, that would be really bad news. In that case, this idea won’t work at all; it will be too much of a load for the JVC.

If I’m totally off the wall there, another option would be to get a second amp and power the distributed speakers with it. You’ll have to have a pair of main L/R pre-outs on the JVC, though.

Hope this helps. If not, get back to us.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

P.S. “Nikiforuk” - that’s an interesting name. Do you know where it originates from?

Kevin Nikiforuk

Auditioning
Sorry for the really long delay, it's been a bad week at work!

Here's the relevant info I was talking about in my original post. =) My distributed audio system is using Russound impedence matching volume controls, which is why I can power it with an amplified signal.

So, to reiterate, I've got my reciever connected to my front channels, but I also want to drive my distributed audio system from the front channels as well. Would I be crazy to hook it up in serial? e.g.

Reciever------->Distrib Head------->Front channel speakers
(Binding Posts)

I've got a little bookshelf model driving it right now, is that the way I'll have to keep it?

Regards,
Kevin

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If you can wire it up as you mentioned in the first post, you should be okay. What you might do is hook everything up as planned, then disconnect the speaker wires from the receiver, and take an ohm reading across them. As long as the impedance reading is not lower than the receiver is rated for, you’re okay.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Kevin Nikiforuk

Auditioning
Thanks for your input Wayne! What would happen if the impedance across them is lower than my receiver is rated for?

Regards,
Kevin

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If the impedance is too low it will demand more power from the amplifier, which means it works harder and generates more heat. Worst-case it could die a premature death. Best-case, the receiver has a “protect mode” which shuts the amps down to prevent damage. Of course, it tends to be rather irritating to have your system shut down in the middle of a movie or CD. :)

If it turns out to be a difficult load, you might look into getting an outboard amp to drive the distributed speakers.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks