What's new

Martian Chronicals on DVD (1 Viewer)

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Has anyone heard anything about this making it to DVD?

I did a search on this forum and found nothing except a mention of the book.

Anyone else want this released on DVD? My SciFi channel recording is hideous.

Martin_T

Stunt Coordinator
I would love to to watch this mini-series again.

When it finally pops up on DVD, I will be there. :)

Chuck Wood

Grip
Dear God! Have you all lost your minds? The Martian Chronicles is arguably the WORST adaptation of a classic Sci-Fi Novel ever committed to celuloid! If there were any Justice, the negative would be burned and all prints buried deep within the earth where no one would ever find them again! It was SO BAD that Ray Bradbury personally begged The president of NBC to either shelve it or re-do the whole thing.

Eric F

Screenwriter
I didn't think it was that bad.

That said, it could have been much better. It would be nice to see someone do a thoughtful take on it. Something along the lines of Taken.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I know I am not imagining this: rumors are floating around about a theatrical version. Anyone else hear this?

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Chuck, I don't remember it clearly, but I think it was a bit better than, say, Capricorn One.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
I never said it was high art but it was entertaining. Perhaps for nostalgia more than anything else. I can't remember a movie adaptation of a novel ever being considered as good as the original.

If a remake means it will end up being something like Mission to Mars please forget it. Red Planet was a little better.

As a period piece with then popular actors like Rock Hudson and Bernadette Peters it's really not that bad.

The dated aspect and the ending in the diner were some of my favorite parts.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Chuck, no one here has "lost his mind." These gentlemen are just fans of an NBC-TV miniseries adaptation of the Bradbury collection of short stories. This is not a thread for stating such opinions.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Hmmmmm...okay.

Back to the topic now, I do remember enjoying this quite a bit when it first aired. The sets and special effects were pretty awful, but there were some genuinely chilling moments, IMHO. It would be great to see it get released in its entirety on DVD.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Goodbye Chuck Wood!

The Martian Chronicles....

I saw this as a teenager.

I thought the first two parts were quite spooky.

However, what happened next has always been very
unclear to me.

I vaguely remember....

The martians recreated boyhood memories for
Rock Hudson, as he revisited childhood relatives
inside their homes on the Martian landscape.

I also remember its confusing ending....

Rock Hudson and his kids are on the Martian planet
looking for martians. When they look into a pool
of water they see that THEY are the martians

All of this is quite fuzzy to me after all these
years so clarification may be needed.

In any event, as a teen I thought the mini-series
started out exceptionally well, but by the third
act, it was nonsense.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Ron

The version I saw on SciFi left out the Rock's boyhood homes memories altogether. Now it did show some of another NASA astronaut where he lived in Illinois. A lot like downloading one's memories like in Contact.

I kept expecting him to take them and actually meet a Martian assuming Rock knew where some were living.

I suppose after he blew up their ship and apparently all Earthly belongings that he considered all humans living there to be Martians. He sure wanted his family severed from their previous life and lifestyle.

As far as the ending of the series is concerned
I had a hard time believing that human had been completely wiped out and that some other civilization would've been able to see the Earth's death flicker.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Gestapo Spank?

You know, I realize that I can be rather aggressive in my posts from time to time but....um....IIII don't think I would have taken quite that approach brother.:D

In regards to the Mini, Ron's description is pretty much on the mark with my memories of the show...I still would like to see it again as I remember that Bernie Casey's segment (I believe the one where he is basically possessed by a martian) is quite good and I also remember the production design was excellent too...well...for a 1980 mini-series at any rate.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Well, I could answer all those spoilers only by what happened in the book. I suggest you guys go read it, as it'a classic.

All those plot-lines happened in the book.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks