What's new

Martian Chronicals on DVD (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Haven't read The Martian Chronicles for a long time ("Golden eyed they were..."). If I remember well, Bradbury loved the theme and wrote many short Martian Chronicles stories over time (perhaps even with some contradictions, as I thought then) and braided them together later (explaining there were several expeditions). Those questions and points raised in the spoilers are indeed essential plots in the originals.

Cees

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Offending expressions do not get less offensive when uttered by Bogey!

Cees

Michael Boyd

Second Unit
Weren't a couple of the stories redone on Bradbury's Anthology series on the USA network? Seems like I remember seeing the one about the dead son who comes home and ends up being a shape changing Martian.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I would think it would make it to dvd. If I'm not mistaken, Anchor Bay had the VHS. Personally, I will give it a rental first. I was young when I saw it. Sometimes those childhood favorites are quite different when viewed years later. This is what happened when revisiting his literary works. Loved them as a child, but quickly outgrew them.

With the exception of the average and stodgy Something Wicked This Way Comes(1983). I haven't seen a stellar Bradbury adaption.

There would be some interest in checking out Martian Chronicles, if only for nostalgia sake.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Well it looks like Martian Chronicals is coming to DVD this September.

Don't know about ya'll but I'm really looking foward to this.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Scott, I owe you and everyone else in this thread an apology. When I posted my news (with cover art) about this at the end of May, I meant to go look for this thread. I simply forgot...my bad!

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
Excellent! I saw it back when I was about 5 and haven't seen it since. I remember thinking it was great and some of the imagery has haunted me for years. Thing is... will seeing it again destroy the memory? :)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
In answer to one of the spoliers:
It wasn't Rock Hudson's character who "returned" to his hometown on Mars, it was Nicholas Hammond's character, who was a member of the second expedition, which also had no survivors and prompted the Earth to send Hudson to Mars to investigate both disappearances.

Also, someone else asked about whether some of the stories were re-made later. That is indeed true. Several of Bradbury's original short stories were made as individual episodes of The Ray Bradbury Theatre throughout its run. Several years ago, these episodes were compiled into a single VHS release (which I picked up used at a flea market) entitled: Ray Bradbury Theatre: The Martian Episodes. Some of the stories in the NBC mini-series were re-made on this tape, in addition to others that did not appear in the 1980 version.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i didnt think this was a good show either, but i can see why some people think it was good.

unfortunately i read the book well before the mini series aired so my opinion was going to be jaded from that.

i wish i saw the show first.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Finally got around to watching this this weekend, and I concur that the first two parts are pretty good, but the third is a let down. The segment with Bernadette Peters is like a 70s sitcom inside of a science fiction movie, and it's awful. The ending isn't satisfying in that I didn't feel like things were explained very well, although I did get what Hudson and his family were doing at the very end and it did end on a sweet note.

Still, overall, I'd have to say it was a disappointment. It was too random and scattershot to tell a cohesive story. Funny how so much sci-fi on TV in that period (1978-1981) was that way (Battlestar, Buck Rogers, etc.). Perhaps it was that the powers that be at the time just didn't get it, but were anxious to cash in on the success of Star Wars.

Perhaps a new mini-series of the Martian Chronicles is in order, on the level of Sci-Fi's Dune miniseries.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks