What's new

Please help me choose my HT speakers. Thanks (1 Viewer)

gocel

Auditioning
Hello I am building a HT system from scratch. I bought already a HK AVR525 receiver also my main DVD palyer is a Sony DVP-CX985V 400 Disc Progressive DVD/SACD. I am going to order a SVS PB1-ISD Subwoofer with 320 watt built-in amp. Now it comes the part of choosing the speakers fronts center and sorrounds. The room where this whole setup will go is about 12'x 20'not a very big room. I do not want to spend more than $2000.00 for the the whole set of speakers. I will be very greatfull for any opinions on this matter. keep in mind that this is going to be a 7.1 setup. Thanks for any suggestions.

CG

Dan Mastro

Agent
you need to go out and listen at hifi shops. take notes of likes and dislikes; soft warm sound or detailed exact sound. i prefer the detailed crisp sounds, likes are subjective. how much $$ to spend etc.
dan

Debbie_L

Stunt Coordinator
Hi gocel,

With $2K to spend you've got a lot of options: Paradigm, PSB, Polk Audio, RBH, Energy, Athena, etc. Take Dan's advice and go out and have fun shopping your local stores.

If I had your budget and wanted to buy from an internet company, I'd go with Ascend Acoustics. Also check out www.audioshop.on.ca for the Dahlquist line -- great speakers for the money and Marc at Audio Shop is a great guy to deal with. I don't think Dahlquist has any dealers in the US as yet, but I could be wrong.

Good luck and have fun!

Debbie

Mario_Y

Stunt Coordinator
I'm kinda looking for a set of satellite speakers, but under $300. My friend suggested Energy...any others?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
If you are only interested in one pair, the ELT satellites cost $250/pair. I would also suggest the Ascend 170s, but I think that they are just a bit over your budget.

If you are really thinking about a whole 5.1 system, I would recommend checking out the Acoustic Research HC6, which can be found for maybe a little over $300.

Mario_Y

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the idea; I am looking for a whole set. I can't seem to find the Acoustic Reseach one's though. Are they satellite?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
The room where this whole setup will go is about 12'x 20'not a very big room. I do not want to spend more than $2000.00 for the the whole set of speakers. I will be very greatfull for any opinions on this matter. keep in mind that this is going to be a 7.1 setup. Thanks for any suggestions.
With $2,000 not including a subwoofer, you will be able to put together a very fine system. In addition to the excellent suggestion of the Ascends, you might want to check out AV123 and see what they will do in putting together a 7.1 package.

They have a
5 speaker package for $1,600 to which you could add another pair of bookshelves to make a 7.1 system. Call or email Sean or Steve (their numbers and address on the AV123.com site and ask. They are very knowledgeable and helpful and will put together a package that will meet your needs.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the idea; I am looking for a whole set. I can't seem to find the Acoustic Reseach one's though. Are they satellite
Four satellites, a center channel and a powered sub.

I think that some of the big box stores that carry AR will order them. You can also order online. Try a Google.

Richard_B

Stunt Coordinator
I do not want to spend more than $2000.00 for the the whole set of speakers. I will be very greatfull for any opinions on this matter. keep in mind that this is going to be a 7.1 setup. Thanks for any suggestions.
Check out av123.com. Look at the Rocket line as Lew suggested

You can get a B-Stock package#1 for $1759 (very good deal)
Package # 1

You can get the regular package #3 on sale for $1799 then get a set of rs150s($399)for the rear and use the rss300 from the package for your side surrounds. That would give you the full 7 speakers. I bet you can talk to them and get a package price on all 7 to save a little more too.
Pagage #3
RS150

These are just some ideas close to your budget but take a look as they offer many different speakers.

Goodluck

PS. Good choice on that SVS.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Try this site, some really great deals on some good speakers

Audio Advisor I got my Platinum Audio speakers from there, great service and for a limited time free shipping.

gocel

Auditioning
Thank you all for your fine suggestions. I will be very busy myself trying to audition some of the brand names you suggested and I am going to order the Ascend Acoustics. They come with a 30 day trial period I beleive. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks