Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: The Lion King (TOTALLY RECOMMENDED!!!)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
343 replies to this topic

#1 of 344 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 11:11 AM

Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#2 of 344 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,294 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 11:19 AM

Now, that's what I call a review! Very nice job - I wish more reviewers would discuss video and audio quality details as you did. (Although I disagree with you about DTS making it sound any better Posted Image)

#3 of 344 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,765 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 11:19 AM

Great review, David. Thanks for taking the time to go into such detail via the comparisons to the LD. This sounds like a winner all the way.
"Go ahead...make my day."

#4 of 344 OFFLINE   Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Screenwriter

• 2,417 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 11:30 AM

Wow David ! This review is even better than your Chicago dvd review ! How do you manage to top yourself each time a major hit movie comes to dvd ? Posted Image Also 1 question directed to anybody that knows, my cheap cyberhome 300 player decodes dts sound, so will it be able to play the enhanced disney home theatre sound ?
At last my body is reunited with my soul which was always feminine.

#5 of 344 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,861 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 11:41 AM

Super review, David! Your best yet! I also remember how the laserdisc was considered "state of the art" when it was released. I would pop that disc in the player, fire up my 32" Pro-Scan and say "High Definition?Pffft! Who needs it? It can't get any better than this!". Wow, how things have changed indeed. I can't wait to get my hands on this DVD!

#6 of 344 OFFLINE   Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,459 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted September 26 2003 - 11:51 AM

Review: 6 out of 5!! Looking forward to this title! Cheers,

#7 of 344 OFFLINE   ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 11:54 AM

Great review that has me even more excited! Now I don't if I should get the Collector's Gift Set or the plain 2-Disc set...

#8 of 344 OFFLINE   Kami

Kami

Screenwriter

• 1,496 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 12:12 PM

Very enthusiastic! And a fun read to boot...nice review. I had already planned on picking it up, this just gets me more excited!

#9 of 344 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 12:25 PM

[quote] Also 1 question directed to anybody that knows, my cheap cyberhome 300 player decodes dts sound, so will it be able to play the enhanced disney home theatre sound? [quote]
Hey Tony thanks for the kind words!

To answer your question, any system capable of 5.1 dolby digital decoding is compatible with the "enhanced for home theater" mix.

The only thing to worry about is playing it in 2.0 down-mix mode to feed the speakers on your TV set...you just might blow those woofer cones... Posted Image
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#10 of 344 OFFLINE   JakeLip

JakeLip

Second Unit

• 299 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 12:33 PM

Thanks for the review David! A couple of comments.

It's a real shame to hear that the extras are fluffy, and I still don't know why they didn't bother to port over the 1994 doc, which I know was on the laserdisc. But ah well - what is there sounds decent enough, even if this isn't the end-all miracle set I was hoping for. Also, it's a shame to hear you confirm that the IMAX edits are present in the quote-quote "theatrical version" -- I saw this presented on IMAX (awesome, let me tell you), and no, nothing caught me off guard, but still, I'dve liked the honest-to-God theatrical version, especially if they say it's going to be that.

Still, this baby is going to be mine. Or, more precisely, it will be mine as a part of the Collector's DVD Gift Set. Posted Image

Also a shame that I don't have a full 5.1 setup so I can't fully enjoy the DEHT mix. In response to your question in the review, the DEHT soundtrack is being presented in DTS on the Region 2 version. If you've got a multiregion player, I'd love a comparison, even though I can't appriciate the DEHT mix yet. You will be pleased to know that in a feature I recently read about TLK on another website it mentioned that Terry Porter had expressed intrest in doing a DEHT mix for Aladdin, too.

I completely agree with you regarding The Morning Report. I understand that a Broadway musical cannot be done with just five songs and that the morning report sequence was one of several natural choices of sequences to "flesh out" for the musical with a song. I've also heard the Broadway cast recording numerous times (and will be seeing the musical in March, finally!) I think the song really works well in that context, much beetter than dialogue would on stage. I actulally really do like the song and find it very humerous. But there's absolutely no need for it in the feature film, since the dialog is not broken and works very well there with many funny lines, and the point of the scene is served well with the original version.

Also, having seen the song animated when it leaked online a few months back, I think that the replacement vocalists for Young Simba and Zazu don't sound like the original actors and will likely throw off aa lot of people. I'd like to find someone who hasn't seen the movie before and show them the special edition cut without their knowlege of what was added and ask them if they can pinpoint the new number. Mom did this with Beauty and the Beast, and she couldn't tell, but with Lion King I'm betting most people would pinpoint Morning Report as being the addition almost immidately.

On that note, if you wouldn't mind answering a quick question. When I get the DVD and put it in my player and load the menu and all that, if I just press play on the main menu, what will happen? On the Beauty and the Beast DVD (which has three cuts of the film) if I do that it automatically defaults to the special edition. Since with Beauty and the Beast I prefer the special edition, it doesn't really matter to me there, but I still wish they had had a second menu that pops up upon pressing play asking to select a version (kind of like selecting WS or P&S for Sleeping Beauty) instead of me having to go to the setup menu and pick. Is this done on The Lion King? If not, which cut does it default to? I'm hoping you'll say it defaults to the theatrical version but I have an awful lurking suspicion that it's the other way around -- be honest! Which one is it?

Oh, yeah, one more question. Don Hahn said a while back that the audio commentary would be ported over from the laserdisc, but one of the other reviews I read mentioned something about the perticipants discussing the IMAX release, which obviously would not hsve been discussed on the 1995 track. Can you clear this up please? Is this new, or old, or a editing together of both? The fact that it's only available on the "theatrical cut" makes me think it's a port (as opposed to the Beauty and the Beast commentary track, which was new and only available via the special edition cut of that movie.) But all the same, could you confirm or deny this? Thanks!

Thanks for the answers in advance and thanks for the review!

#11 of 344 OFFLINE   Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Screenwriter

• 2,417 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 12:33 PM

Thanks David, i wont put the volume up all the way then, lol !Posted Image
At last my body is reunited with my soul which was always feminine.

#12 of 344 OFFLINE   Steve K.H.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor

• 719 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 12:52 PM

Dammit David... I can't ignore the "underlying" message that this "might" be a good film to buy... you're costing me way too much money... Posted Image

"6 out of 5"... is it me or is that destined to be a classic line?Posted Image

Bluecruzer...
"The new phone books are here!!!..."

#13 of 344 OFFLINE   Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor

• 723 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 01:38 PM

I don't have a problem with Disney opening up the framing, I trust your opinion that it really does look better, since you are so adament about it. I do wish however that thy had chosen 1.78:1 rather than 1.66:1.

#14 of 344 OFFLINE   Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,148 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 01:46 PM

Sleeping Beauty, very Highly recommended
Holes, Highly Recommended
Lion King, Totally REcommended

Either Disney needs to begin releasing more subpar product or David needs more adjectives! Otherwise what'll he do when he gets to Finding Nemo and the Disney Treasures later this year!!! Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

OF course I'm delighted that There is so much hgih quality procduct coming forth from the mouse house, they do represent the vast majority of all my DVD purchases (it seems lately it's been just Disney and Warner on an alternating basis!

Adam

#15 of 344 OFFLINE   JakeLip

JakeLip

Second Unit

• 299 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 02:41 PM

"I do wish however that thy had chosen 1.78:1 rather than 1.66:1." - Jonathan Dagmar FYI Jonathan: In recent years Disney has been using the CAPS system for animated production and it creates all of their animation for the 1.66:1 ratio (with the exception of the 2.35:1 Atlantis and Brother Bear.) It is then cropped in theaters to 1.85:1 and to 1.33:1 for video release. It is my understanding that the laserdisc of The Lion King is also 1.85:1, but that too is a cropped version. 1.66:1 is the proper aspect ratio for The Lion King, so it really is the only way it should be presented on DVD, and if I'm not mistaken the DVD will be the first time it has ever been made available to the public its proper ratio. Compared to what Disney did with Beauty and the Beast last year (which was cropped to 1.85:1 on DVD per the request of the directors, although previously available in 1.66:1 on laserdisc), I'm pleasntly suprised that it is 1.66:1. Good work Disney.

#16 of 344 OFFLINE   Bill>Moore

Bill>Moore

Second Unit

• 366 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 02:48 PM

Wow! Great review! I was planning on picking this one up, but now I'm even more excited to get it ASAP!! Posted Image

#17 of 344 OFFLINE   Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor

• 723 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 03:42 PM

I don't doubt what you are saying Jake, it's just that I don't necessarilly agree. There is hardly any difference between 1.78 and 1.66, and so for DVD I think 1.78:1 would be better. Also, I would tend towards considering 1.85:1 being the Lion King's OAR considering that that was the way it was shown in theatres, regardless of what system Disney used to create the film.

#18 of 344 OFFLINE   Greg*go

Greg*go

Supporting Actor

• 941 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 03:44 PM

Why did I read this thread 11 days before the movie is released? Looks like I'll be bouncing off the walls til then now... THANKS A LOT DAVE! Posted Image
I certainly don't expect anyone to remember me 65 years after I die, but you wouldn't know that from the way I act.

#19 of 344 OFFLINE   Tony-B

Tony-B

Producer

• 3,768 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 04:33 PM

GREAT review Dave! That was one of the best reviews that I have read! Posted Image

Imagine what Jeff Kleist would be saying right now if he didn't get banned... Posted Image
DVD Collection/Video Game Collection/Music Collection
"The Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you." -GLaDOS

#20 of 344 OFFLINE   Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,792 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted September 26 2003 - 04:50 PM

Oh My Gosh! I can't wait! I was already going to pick it up, but wow, now I'm just so excited! I agree with David. It was presented in it's proper OAR. I don't want any overscan whatsoever, and putting it in 1.77:1 would result in cropping. Jeff Kliest got banned? You are kidding me, right? He's a staple of this forum. I'm sad to see him go. (I won't ask why he got banned, in case it's a forbidden subject.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users