Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: "Bend It Like Beckham" (with screenshots)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 of 29 OFFLINE   Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 05:44 PM

#2 of 29 OFFLINE   MartinTeller

MartinTeller

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 05:48 PM

Adam... could you please not stack the screenshots side-by-side? Or else make them smaller? It stretches out your post so wide that I would have to keep horizontal sliding back and forth to read your review. Not everyone's got a giant monitor, y'know Posted Image

#3 of 29 OFFLINE   Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 05:56 PM

Hmmm, I did that because I figured Ron might yell at me for making the review too long "length" wise. So I actually put a period between the two pics so that it anchors them side by side. However, I don't do that with the page with the additional pics. How does that page look for you? The pages with the additional screen shots scales depending on your browser width. Let me get a few more feedbacks from people. Majority rules, I can definately stack the screenshots only one shot wide, instead of two, if that is what everyone wants. Thanx for the comment, this is the kind of feedback I need.

#4 of 29 OFFLINE   Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 05:59 PM

Actually, I now see what you are saying. Anchoring the screenshots to two wide, doesnt allow the text to scale like it used to. I will change this. Thanx. I probably should change my X2 and Family guy reviews as well.

#5 of 29 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,528 posts

Posted September 12 2003 - 08:26 PM

[quote] I figured Ron might yell at me
[quote]
When have I ever yelled at you?

Nice review.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#6 of 29 OFFLINE   Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man

• 12,141 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted September 12 2003 - 09:49 PM

Adam: I prefer this layout too. Parker

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#7 of 29 OFFLINE   Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

• 929 posts

Posted September 13 2003 - 12:17 AM

Thank you very much for the detailed review.

My wife and I are interested in seeing this movie as we both enjoy cultural type movies. Many have compared this to My Big Fat Greek Wedding which we chuckled through so we figure we may enjoy this one as well.

Thank you again for taking the time to prepare a very thorough review.

This is going to be the first of a small chain of soccer movies coming out over the next few years.

The guys who made Rudy and Hoosiers are stepping back in time again and making a movie about the 1950 US National Team that shocked England in the World Cup.

Also, Quentin Tarantino is producing a soccer trilogy about a young LA hispanic player.

http://sports.yahoo.....ters&type=lgns

Andy

#8 of 29 OFFLINE   Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted September 13 2003 - 02:02 AM

[quote] When have I ever yelled at you? [quote]

Hehehe! I didn't mean it literally. Posted Image

#9 of 29 OFFLINE   Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter

• 1,266 posts

Posted September 13 2003 - 07:01 AM

I can't wait for this movie! I also love the title.
Jeff Whitford
Hometheater Guru ?

#10 of 29 OFFLINE   Rob Cooper

Rob Cooper

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted September 13 2003 - 04:16 PM

That "agonizingly lame" guy in the music video is not David Beckham. It's just some impersonator.

#11 of 29 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,354 posts

Posted September 13 2003 - 04:27 PM

[quote] That "agonizingly lame" guy in the music video is not David Beckham. It's just some impersonator. [quote]

Actually, I'm pretty sure that's really Beckham along with Victoria...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#12 of 29 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,635 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 13 2003 - 08:32 PM

Yes, that was Beckham in the video.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#13 of 29 OFFLINE   Rob Cooper

Rob Cooper

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted September 13 2003 - 08:53 PM

I believe the man in the video is Andy Harmer. He is credited on the IMDB as playing David Beckham. The guy in the music video doesn't even look that much like the real David Beckham or sound like him. I haven't seen the R1 dvd but on the R4 dvd there are some outtakes from the music video in which the impersonater says something about "the real David".

#14 of 29 OFFLINE   Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts

Posted September 14 2003 - 01:04 AM

And there is an actress listed as playing Victoria, so that may not be her in the video. Also, the IMDB has a bit of trivia that makes me truly appreciate directors who stand up for their films:

[quote] Although football (soccer) star David Beckham and the term "bend" are well-known in the U.K., they are virtually unknown in the U.S. As such, when the time came for the film's U.S release, 20th Century Fox marketing execs suggested changing the title to "Move it like Mia", alluding to U.S. football star Mia Hamm. Director Gurinder Chadha objected to the name change and the film was released with its original title. [quote]

"Move It Like Mia"? Posted Image

Chris

#15 of 29 OFFLINE   Dave_P.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor

• 983 posts

Posted September 14 2003 - 01:13 AM

Posted Image Posted Image Excellent movie!

#16 of 29 OFFLINE   Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted September 14 2003 - 02:42 AM

[quote] That "agonizingly lame" guy in the music video is not David Beckham. It's just some impersonator. [quote]

Rob, I assure you, the video extra on the DVD does show the REAL-LIFE David Beckham. After the video is done, there is 5 minutes afterwards that is them trying to get David Beckham and his wife to sing their lines for the video. They take many many takes, cause he just stands there and doesn't have a clue what to do. He barely moves his mouth.

The impersonater wouldn't have a job, if that is how bad he acted.

#17 of 29 OFFLINE   Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted September 14 2003 - 02:45 AM

[quote] And there is an actress listed as playing Victoria, so that may not be her in the video. [quote]

The parts you guys are talking about actors that are playing David and his wife, is most likley the scene at the end where David Beckham getting off a plane at the airport. I am sure that is the actors. However, it is the real people in the video outtakes.

#18 of 29 OFFLINE   Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh

Producer

• 5,183 posts

Posted September 14 2003 - 03:40 AM

One of the suprising parts of this movie is that it treats the parents and their traditional views with a lot of love and respect. These are not uncaring, dominate people. They love their daughters and the Sihk community is a warm, colorful mix with many of the youngsters (not just Jess) all trying to fit into two different worlds. (At a traditional engagement party a cell-phone starts to ring and about a dozen elderly 'aunties' pull phones out of various folds in their sarong's.) This movie seems to touch most people, but if you are raising daughters it hits you on a deeper level and tells you that you are not alone in your hopes and fears. Highly recommended.

#19 of 29 OFFLINE   Steve K.H.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor

• 719 posts

Posted September 14 2003 - 04:30 AM

I have not heard one person say they didn't like this film, and everyone basically was surprised how good it was. Everywhere else but N.A. this was predictable... ...good to see they packed the goods into the transfer. (reminds me, I've gotta dig around and see if I can find Victory anywhere... some cool soccer clips in that film)
Bluecruzer...
"The new phone books are here!!!..."

#20 of 29 OFFLINE   JoelO

JoelO

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 11:49 AM

I like this film a lot. I got the R3 a few months ago that came w/ the OST. Really love the Soundtrack too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users