-

Photo

"Jason and the Argonauts": Upgrading from DVD to Laserdisc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted August 30 2003 - 01:36 AM

I just recently picked up the Criterion release of this film on Laserdisc from eBay. I think of it as an upgrade of sorts over my DVD since the LD has more extras including a Ray Harryhausen commentary. Posted Image
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#2 of 10 John Koehler

John Koehler

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted August 30 2003 - 07:17 AM

Yes, the Criterion LD is a real treasure. I bought the DVD but ended up giving it away as a gift. The LD issue remains unsurpassed, as in many other cases where the LD production overall showed more care and attention than many sell-through DVD issues (an example being Forbidden Planet on LD from Criterion vastly superior to the DVD).

As long as I have a local guy who can keep my LD players in good repair! I will have to transfer my best LDs to DVD-R before too long, I guess.
JohnnyK

#3 of 10 Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted August 30 2003 - 09:54 AM

This is one title I have never bought the DVD of because there is frankly nothing on the DVD to recommend if you already have the Criterion LD.

#4 of 10 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted August 30 2003 - 10:22 AM

well for some of us, there is only the dvd and no laserdisc. how come the RH commentary is not on the dvd
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#5 of 10 Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted August 30 2003 - 01:39 PM

Quote:
well for some of us, there is only the dvd and no laserdisc. how come the RH commentary is not on the dvd

I'm guessing lawyers.

#6 of 10 Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted August 30 2003 - 02:37 PM

The DVD is from Columbia, the LD was from Criterion. Since Criterion rarely licenses out their extras to other studios, that's why their commentary isn't present on a Columbia DVD. Columbia should have had Harryhausen do a new one for the DVD.
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#7 of 10 alan halvorson

alan halvorson

Screenwriter

• 2,021 posts

Posted August 30 2003 - 02:56 PM

I haven't checked, but there a possibility that the dvd matts some picture on the top and bottom compared to the LD, as has happened to several other Harryhausen films. That's why I'm keeping my Pioneer Mysterious Island LD - not only does it show more, but it looks better.
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

#8 of 10 Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted August 30 2003 - 05:47 PM

Actually it isn't a Harryhausen commentary on the Criterion LD it's narrated by film buff Bruce Eder.

#9 of 10 Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted August 30 2003 - 05:51 PM

Quote:
Actually it isn't a Harryhausen commentary on the Criterion LD it's narrated by film buff Bruce Eder.

The commentary track on the Criterion LD has both Mr. Harryhausen and Mr. Eder.

DJ

#10 of 10 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,088 posts

Posted August 30 2003 - 06:10 PM

But it's not merely the excellent commentary that isn't carried over to the DVD. The "night sequences," such as Jason's ascension to visit the gods and the capture of the harpys, were color and brightness-corrected for the Criterion but look like daylight again on the mediocre DVD.
Columbia has treated its Harryhausen DVD titles with distain - or at the very least indifference - in my opinion.

Forum Nav Content I Follow