What's new

How to Calibrate my Velodyne 10" sub? (1 Viewer)

Dustin Wind

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,
Just wondering how i would go about Calibrating my 10" Velodyne Sub.

What do i set the following to:

Knob 1: Low pass Crossover - goes from 40hz to 120 hz

Knob 2: subwoofer volume

Then there is also the "phase" and "internal x-over"

Also the "high-pass crossover" which is either 80hz or 100hz.

I have a Yamaha 5450 receiver.
For the front speakers i have JBL N26, but as of tommorow i think i'm going to get the JBL ND310II.

My backs right now are N24's but if i get the ND310II then i will use the N26's as the back and one of my N24's as the 6th speaker.

My center is the JBL N-center.

So i know with my sound pressure reader i want the sub test volume to be 80DB (from reading the forums).
But where do i begin? Where should i set the knobs? do i put the high pass crossover at 80 or 100?

Should i put my BASS volume on the receiver at 0 then turn up the knob VOLUME on the sub until i'm reading 80DB....or?

If so then where do i set "low pass crossover" to?

Thanks a ton guys.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Try setting your low pass x-over to 120Hz, your high pass x-over to 80Hz, and your phase to the position where it sounds louder in the listening position (most likely 0 degrees). Put your bass knob on the receiver to the flat position (default) then calibrate all of your speakers with the sound level meter as follows....

play the test tones using AVIA, video Essentials, or THX Optimizer (found on some DVD movies). When the left test tone plays, adjust the receiver volume until the tone reads 75dB on the meter while the meter is in the listening position where you sit, leave the volume knob at this point until the end of the calibration. Next, play the centre test tone and adjust the centre level using the receiver's centre level adjust until you get 75dB, continue with the other speakers using this method. When the sub's test tone plays, adjust the sub volume and/or the receiver's sub volume level until you achieve 75-80dB. Start with the receiver's sub volume level at 0dB and try using the sub volume knob to do the adjustment if possible but if you cannot get it in range then use the receiver's sub level adjust as well.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
But, don't expect 120Hz to be where it's CORRECT. You will notice a lot of male voices and other sounds in the sub.

My suggestion, once the system is calibrated, is to set the crossover MUCH lower .... between 40-60Hz.

Brent

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Brent,

Neil is saying to let the receiver handle the crossover (at 80Hz.) Turning the knob on the Velo as high as it will go (120Hz) allows the receiver to do this.

IIRC, setting your sub's crossover to 60Hz would mean that your mains are flat to 30Hz. Not many mains are capable of this (regardless of how they are rated).

JKS

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator
Alright now you guys got me all confused. Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I thought I had this down myself until now.

1) My receivers got what looks to be a low pass crossover (says "Bass") and high pass ("Trebble").
2) My plate amp has a low pass crossover.

Say I want my sub to do everything 80htz and below. Should I be setting my receiver to 80, and my sub to 120? If so, does the receiver bass crossover effect the mains? Also, is it actually a roll-off point, or a cut-off point?

Also, when setting the level of my sub in relation to mains using an SPL meter, should I turn the crossover way up on the sub and receiver (bass), or leave it where I will be when listening.

And last but not least, what's the high pass on the receiver do (defaults to 9.2khtz I think).

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Ben,

Yeah, that's my understanding. Receiver crossover at 80Hz, sub amp crossover as high as it will go so that it won't interfere (or defeated entirely, if that's an option). The receiver should take your mains into consideration as well as whether they are "small" or "large" dependant upon your selection.

Just about any DD receiver will have a gradual rolloff and not just a cutoff. Others can describe 2nd order; 4th order bandpass, x dB/octave, etc. probably specific to your receiver if you provide the model number.

You should calibrate with your settings as they will be for normal listening.

I have no idea what the highpass filter would be doing on your receiver. There's probably a highpass filter on your sub amp, though. Is that to what you were referring?

JKS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks