What's new

Los Lobos on Super Audio from Mobile Fidelity! (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The details on the Los Lobos album coming from Mobile Fidelity (September 23rd) are up at High Fidelity Review...the sonics should be good a tape to DSD direct transfer with the GAIN 2 system. I especially enjoyed these comments:

Mobile Fidelity describes the album as "Recorded in guitarist, vocalist, songwriter, ring leader Cesar Rosas’s home studio with an old Neve board, a 2 inch 24 track recorder, and “lots of tube mics”, Good Morning Aztlan boasts an eclectic mix of music that deftly ranges from traditional reverence to experimental defiance with stunning sonic vistas in between.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I expect that this SACD will sell for $25+.
Well given MoFi's SACD track record, it is likely to be well worth it. My Duke Ellington and Patricia Barber albums certainly were.

They are selling a limited number of discs compared to the big labels so as a consumer I feel it is fair to pay some premium. :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee, I understand everything you are saying. Perhaps MFSL could get a bit better market penetration with a lower price? I've seen their SACDs in a few stores, and at $25-27, they just sit and collect dust. No joke.

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Perhaps MFSL could get a bit better market penetration with a lower price? I've seen their SACDs in a few stores, and at $25-27, they just sit and collect dust. No joke.
I'm sorry but the lack of appealing titles that are coming out on SACD and DVD-a are seriously hampering the success of either format.

Perhaps MSFL could attempt to release something more along "POP" lines instead of music like Ellington and Barber - which have limited audiences at best.

Perhaps the other music labels could also release titles more along the "mainstream" and attract the purchasers who would ultimately determine "sink or swim" for SACD and DVD-a.

Eric

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Very nice release, glad it is hybrid as well.

This will certainly make it a tough choice to chose between getting this album on vinyl or this.

As to the other poster's points I think you are both misunderstanding the reason for MoFi's existence. They aren't trying to compete with the Big Boys, they are trying to push the envelope on musical enjoyment out of the various mediums.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I think Mo-Fi has to pay the piper just to release the stuff that the majors will hand them...? They may be in a position where they can't reduce price much...? That's my theory anyway.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Perhaps the other music labels could also release titles more along the "mainstream" and attract the purchasers who would ultimately determine "sink or swim" for SACD and DVD-a.
Maybe SACD and DVDA will remain niche formats but continue to offer real music. ;)

By the way, I guess the titles on Super Audio are really not big sellers anyway.

I mean who has ever heard of Sting, the Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Elton John, Norah Jones, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen anyway?

We really 50 cent and Britney! They are the real artists of the future...

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Can't wait for Britney's 4th? release, I heard she is getting even steamier, hence less clothes on. Good stuff!

After all, it is all about the music!:)

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
While thrilled to have any Los Lobos available in Super Audio- and from MoFi to boot- I was secretly hoping it would be KIKO. In any event, I look forward to picking up this title.

Jimmy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks