Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Los Lobos on Super Audio from Mobile Fidelity!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted August 09 2003 - 09:08 AM

The details on the Los Lobos album coming from Mobile Fidelity (September 23rd) are up at High Fidelity Review...the sonics should be good a tape to DSD direct transfer with the GAIN 2 system. I especially enjoyed these comments:

Quote:
Mobile Fidelity describes the album as "Recorded in guitarist, vocalist, songwriter, ring leader Cesar Rosas’s home studio with an old Neve board, a 2 inch 24 track recorder, and “lots of tube mics”, Good Morning Aztlan boasts an eclectic mix of music that deftly ranges from traditional reverence to experimental defiance with stunning sonic vistas in between.

We like tube mics. Posted Image

http://www.highfidel....umber=16201429
Viewing: Sony KDSXBR150, Sony Bluray S570, ATT Uverse
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted August 09 2003 - 11:36 AM

Sadly, I expect that this SACD will sell for $25+. Posted Image
My:
Main Stereo and HT Systems ;
Second Stereo System ;
Equipment List ; DVDs, SACDs, and more ;
Planned Upgrades and Additions "You know, the tomato never took off as a handfruit."- George Costanza

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted August 09 2003 - 04:20 PM

Quote:
I expect that this SACD will sell for $25+.

Well given MoFi's SACD track record, it is likely to be well worth it. My Duke Ellington and Patricia Barber albums certainly were.

They are selling a limited number of discs compared to the big labels so as a consumer I feel it is fair to pay some premium. Posted Image
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted August 10 2003 - 12:50 AM

Lee, I understand everything you are saying. Perhaps MFSL could get a bit better market penetration with a lower price? I've seen their SACDs in a few stores, and at $25-27, they just sit and collect dust. No joke.
My:
Main Stereo and HT Systems ;
Second Stereo System ;
Equipment List ; DVDs, SACDs, and more ;
Planned Upgrades and Additions "You know, the tomato never took off as a handfruit."- George Costanza

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   EricK

EricK

Second Unit

• 289 posts

Posted August 10 2003 - 05:08 AM

Quote:
Perhaps MFSL could get a bit better market penetration with a lower price? I've seen their SACDs in a few stores, and at $25-27, they just sit and collect dust. No joke.

I'm sorry but the lack of appealing titles that are coming out on SACD and DVD-a are seriously hampering the success of either format.

Perhaps MSFL could attempt to release something more along "POP" lines instead of music like Ellington and Barber - which have limited audiences at best.

Perhaps the other music labels could also release titles more along the "mainstream" and attract the purchasers who would ultimately determine "sink or swim" for SACD and DVD-a.

Eric

AOL/AIM s/n : EDKalet6
My Home Theater

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter

• 1,159 posts

Posted August 10 2003 - 07:10 AM

Very nice release, glad it is hybrid as well.

This will certainly make it a tough choice to chose between getting this album on vinyl or this.

As to the other poster's points I think you are both misunderstanding the reason for MoFi's existence. They aren't trying to compete with the Big Boys, they are trying to push the envelope on musical enjoyment out of the various mediums.

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted August 10 2003 - 08:49 AM

I think Mo-Fi has to pay the piper just to release the stuff that the majors will hand them...? They may be in a position where they can't reduce price much...? That's my theory anyway.
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted August 10 2003 - 02:40 PM

Quote:
Perhaps the other music labels could also release titles more along the "mainstream" and attract the purchasers who would ultimately determine "sink or swim" for SACD and DVD-a.

Maybe SACD and DVDA will remain niche formats but continue to offer real music. Posted Image

By the way, I guess the titles on Super Audio are really not big sellers anyway.

I mean who has ever heard of Sting, the Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Elton John, Norah Jones, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen anyway?

We really 50 cent and Britney! They are the real artists of the future...

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter

• 1,159 posts

Posted August 11 2003 - 11:28 AM

Can't wait for Britney's 4th? release, I heard she is getting even steamier, hence less clothes on. Good stuff!

After all, it is all about the music!Posted Image

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Jimmy Nugent

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator

• 218 posts

Posted August 12 2003 - 01:14 AM

While thrilled to have any Los Lobos available in Super Audio- and from MoFi to boot- I was secretly hoping it would be KIKO. In any event, I look forward to picking up this title.

Jimmy

Back to Music & Soundtracks

Forum Nav Content I Follow