What's new

Universal Announces Next Diana Krall for Super Audio! (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
And we get Love Scenes, one of her best, on SACD too.

I'm also looking forward to Layle and the other Eric Clapton albums.

Rachael should like the Oscar Peterson releases as do I.

And I am also relieved to get the official word on the sonics on the three track Living Presence albums will be placed over Left-Center-Right which will prove to be a very realistic image since they were recorded that way. :emoji_thumbsup:

Here is the full story:

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...umber=11748902

I figure we are better served by discussing music among those of us who like high resolution audio.

:)

p.s. Please note that the George Harrison SACD will be in stores February (see next story). Great news!

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Lee, I already have 2 of the Petersons and they're very kick-ass! You know, it's stille disheartening to look at these release lists and see so very little new stuff....

Jesper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jesper Nielsen
Lee,

Sooner or later we will see them on DVD Audio with extra... So I wait. :D

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Krall's Love Scenes has been out several months on DVD-Audio and given the heritage of the master tapes for this material, I'm not sure why anyone would raise a fuss about resampled 44.1k content being released on SA-CD.

If you want to hear the master tapes, get the DVD-Audio disc, that's where the master tapes are in their native format.

Cheers,

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if this is a thread-fart, and apologies if so, but I need to re-listen to the couple Krall I have and decide if I want to continue listening to her music. While she's good, I've just been too entranced with other singers and music that are so much more exciting. But we'll see.

Now Oscar Peterson- that's exciting to me! Are these new albums, old, what? *We wants them, my love*

I recently tracked down a OOP MFSL gold copy of Eat a Peach, so I'll let you folks be the guinea pigs on that one to help me decide if I should replace it with the SACD, have both, etc.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I also prefer to get this on an SACD vs. a DVD-A so I don't have extra video crap I don't want (I have "Live in Paris" on DVD-V and if I want one of those I buy it) and don't have to contemplate how it was authored and whether it will be easier to play the stereo track since I may not like the multi-channel one.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Mike, I did a review of 2 of the 6 Peterson SA-CD's about a week ago. They're available at Amazon France right now. They're from 1968 and they're pressed in Germany. Quite nice!

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Phil,

I put the disc in my player, and hit the play button. I have no clue if any of the discs have "extra video crap" as you so delicately put it.

Cheers,

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
John, my point is that most DVD-As when one hits play default to the multi-channel mix. More than likely that will not be my preference. There is no consistent authoring among discs as well. In addition, at the mass market stores and online as well, the DVD-A is usually a bit more than the SACD for that video content and potential navigation that is of zero interest to me for something I am buying to hear.

"Some people think that colorizing old Black and White films is an improvement too." John, you and Lee can argue until the cows (or mad cows) come home. In theory, there could be differences most likely of insignicant amts. from listening to many things. Since, there are more SACD titles I desire as well as what is out there in total, my SACD player is of better quality (Modwright XA-777ES). Even if there are minor differences, they would more than likely be offset by the players. If I was buying it to hear in my bedroom system, which has a Pioneer Elite DV-47A, which is better on DVD-A vs. SACD, I would buy the DVD-A.

Where I buy something on hi-rez that Warner issues which I like, I buy the DVD-A. It is Warner's business decision which format to endorse, I can't control it, and am going to buy the software I like. Right now I have a universal player in the bedroom, separate players in the main system and a spare Samsung HD1000 DVD-A player waiting for me to complete my basement. I would not lose any sleep if SACD or DVD-A won out and the other went away. Where it is put out by a label that has a history of supporting both formats, I'm going to wait and see before buying. I've gone past the days of buying multiple things to compare formats, whether they are DD, DTS, DVD, LD, etc. I have enough duplicates of software.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
John, that's not at all a good analogy. Not to imply that Lee's post sounds too well thought out. It's preposterous for either you or him to imply that the either format isn't a capable sounding format. That's not even an issue! I've heard enough discs to say that authoritatively. I've been catching up on DVD-A since I finally got a DVD-A player I like, 2900, BTW. It's as obvious as day and night that one could make wonderful DVD-A's from DSD recordings or vice versa. T'ain't no big deal! :)

Jesper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jesper Nielsen

If you don't want it, don't look at it - but don't forget people have a choice - you don't have that on sa-cd.

And DVD Video are using in 99% of time concert not videos. Videos fit perfect to DVD Audio, because if you bought an album you don't want to watch a videoconcert - but the videos to the album. Have you ever seen/heard an album were all songs are number one songs? I think you understand my point.

Ofcourse if you don't like the album - don't buy it! :D

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

Jesper, I think what Phil is getting at is that sometimes it's hard to navigate the menu without a TV. My Pioneer 563 for instance needs a TV to work properly which is a problem for me since I don't have one in my listening room yet and I just want to listen to the DVDA music.

There needs to be some standard logic where a player defaults to the hirez layer unless told otherwise. In my experience with several DVDA players, this is unfortunately not the case.

I'm still saving up for a Meridian unit so there is hope. :)

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Jesper, that is the point I was making. If I am buying music to listen to I like, I don't need to be bothered with navigation or wasteful extras. I have Diana's "Live in Paris" DVD-V. If I want a concert video, I buy it. It is also not uncommon in the US for DVD-A to be more expensive than DVD-V such as the Band's "Last Waltz." When I took it to the counter at Tower the cashier said to me why buy that, the video (DVD-V) is cheapers. It is a real world fact ar present that Warner will not do SACD and I have no hesitation buying music I like and knowing what I will need to deal with. In the case of Universal which is doing both formats (and DVD-A tends to cost a hair more), I will not consider buying one single DVD-A unless it is clear that the material will not be available on SACD. I know on my mains system with SACD, I have no navigation hassles. I also noted had I been making a choice based on the player in my bedroom system, DVD-A would be the format of choice.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
There is no doubt in my mind that SACD is easier to navigate,however as John said Krall's recording isn't originated from analog or high rez PCM so I will buy the DVD-A this time.Now if they would only release "Stepping Out"!

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

It may be a question of equipment, for instance does your equipment do a better job playing back Super Audio or DVD Audio?

I think Stepping Out would be quite nice in hirez. :)

Jesper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jesper Nielsen
Lee,

I understand, but I don't think that navigation wil be an big issue anymore.. I really don't have that much troubles with it - I mean I know in the begining it was tricky but I don't see it anymore (ok sa-cd) can be easier, but it's also based on the cd system (or how should I say it?) DVD Audio is in family with DVD Video - with better sound quality ofcourse. You guys already know that! :)

Phil,

I haven't bought a single sa-cd and suppose I never will.. Why? DVD Audio do the job for me.

At the end of the day we can all choose what we want, but sometimes some people need to look further down the road instead of looking back. :)

Jesper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jesper Nielsen
Lee,

I also saving up for Meridian :D - maybe we can talk about our systems in 2010 (I guess I am ready then!) hehe :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks