What's new

Any reviews for "Halloween" yet....????? (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey Y'all...

Specifically, the new transfer. The last one looked pretty good, and I am curious to see how the new one will (hopefully) improve the image. Let's just hope they don't lay on the EE!!!!

:)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I've scoured the Web looking for reviews, but it seems that none are up yet. Anchor Bay can be lax with their screeners sometimes, but I'm sure there will be some reviews up early next week, though.

And there's all those Warner horror/sci-fi titles, plus Casablanca, as far as vintage films go and sites understand that they need to balance the 'old' with the 'new'.

But I can't wait to get this DVD! :)

Halloween 4 was on TV last night. That's all I can muster in regard to that film. Okay - it has some good moments, but as the years fly past, Carpenter's original just looks better and better. $300,000 budget / 21-day shoot - get outta here! :D

Gordy

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Halloween 6 was on one of the HBOs the other night, and I was mesmerized. I couldn't take my eyes off of the TV...it was like watching a big-ass train wreck :)

I definitely agree that as the years (and sequels) add up, the original looks even better. It's amazing how Carpenter was able to make a relatively simple story and tell it in such a frightening way. There are no gimmicks, just pure evil.

Hopefully they'll take care of some of the aliasing problems in the new transfer. Aside from that, there isn't all that much to improve on.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
IMO Carpenter's wise inspiration for Halloween's success was (in some part) Dario Argento & his method of laying down style & mood where the script may be lacking in true substance. Also to rely on competent actors to carry the film into genuine realism as far as the lives & motivations of most of these kids...not as complex as some other films to be sure but certainly not cardboard cutout's, we all knew kids just like this growing up and it was shocking to see them get killed before our eyes. Hell many of us were these kids growing up.

Also Carpenter is simply a fine director who has more hit's than misses in my book...he has a better hitting average than Argento IMHO.

Now as far as the DVD is concerned....I will be double dipping simply because I don't trust that my Criterion LD will stand the test of time so I want a back up for the very good commentary...although I do have it backed up on CD-R anyway...you know...just in case.;)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I had the Criterion LD but it went away wih my ld player.

I have the 2 disc LE from a few years ago but I am double dipping for this new one. Loved the commentary from the LD.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Carpenter pulled together many inpirations for Halloween, among them, Hitchcock's Psycho, Bava's Blood And Black Lace, Argento's Deep Red and Suspiria, Polanski's Chinatown and, of course, Bob Clarke's seminal 1974 Canadian horror classic, Black Christmas. Clarke actually had the idea for a horror film set on Halloween night which he told Carpenter about, but nothing came of it, and it was Irwin Yablans' idea to set The Babysitter Murders on Halloween night and even call ot Halloween! But Clarke has no bad feelings about this. Black Christmas is, in my opinion, the equal of Halloween, but they are different films in subtle ways.

Halloween is a great example of filmmakers pulling together many great inpirations and fusing them with their own individual talents - Dean Cundey's cinematography is astonishing, the virtuoso use of Panaglide (pre-Steadicam) was a great choice and Carpenter's score will never die! Amazing stuff, really.

And they all did it again 2 years later with The Fog - one of the best shot horror movies of all time.

Gordy

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
I found the transfer of the "restored" edition really distracting. There were tons of block-noise throughout the movie. More so in the night-time scenes than the daytime, but even in daylight, you could see them. When Laurie is in her room and she's about to lay down on her bed (the scene where she see's the shape out of her window) on the wall (behind her bed) there is major block-noise. Also when Dr. Loomis and the nurse are driving at night with the rain pouring down...TONS of block-noise. I really hope this transfer is much better!

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Yes, I am aware of the many inspirations that Carpenter had on this film (and indeed in his entire career) but both he and Debra Hill admit on the commentary track, and I happen to agree, that "Halloween Owes a great debt to Deep Red, Suspiria & Dario Argento" who in turn was obviously influenced by everyone that Carpenter was such as Hitchcock, Bava, Ford (protecting the children) & Hawks among others.
However on Halloween I see the closest ties to how Dario took the classic Hitchcock formula and wove it into the standard Giallo, right down to the music IMO.
The other influences are clear but I feel the biggest credit lies in what Dario did with those same influences.

Jamie Lee Curtis on the LD commentary however finds that creative people have bad breath.

MattGuyOR

Stunt Coordinator
Is the new dvd going to have the 2 versions via seamless branching or have both versions on dual layers? I hope it's seamless branching, that will alleviate the "blocking" that I noticed on the limited edition version.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
I haven't bought any of the previously released Halloween's. I've just held back from buying one I guess.
But......... I plan on buying this 25th Anniv. edition though. What other special material will be on this one?

After all it is the 25th anniversary of this great horror film and I figured it would be loaded with special stuff.

Thanks!
Troy

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
There were tons of block-noise throughout the movie.
I have the 1999 two disk set and I see no "block noise" whatsoever. Some DVD players, such as APEX and other cheaper models, have very low rent video processors & in my experience do not handle night & especially fog scenes very well, you may want to upgrade to a better player.
If not and you have a good player....I don't know what to tell you except that my copy doesn't have this. The fault might be in the disk itself so you may want to, if possible, send the disk in to Anchor Bay for exchange....I have know idea however if this is possible at this date.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I checked the scenes in question last night, and I saw no blocking or noise. Edge-enhancement is noticeable in some scenes, but on the whole, it is a great transfer. It's not as clean, as I remembered it - there are some flecks and blotches, and I would imagine that those will be removed for this new transfer, but I expect the transfer to be more or less the same - perhaps a little sharper, maybe.

Gordy

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Keven & Gordy, I'm watching the DVD on a Sony NS-700P (Progressive) on a 65" Mits Widescreen HDTV. I'm not the only person who has noticed the block noise as MattGuyOR talks about it too just a few posts up. I remember reading around 5 reviews (from DVD review sites) and they all mentioned that the DVD had block noise, but they weren't specific about which scenes they noticed the block noise in. Also, a while back, here on the HTF there was a thread in which people here, were stating that they too noticed the block noise. I don't have any links, but I'm sure if you look up old threads, you'll see that I'm not the only one who has noticed it. It's certainly there!

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Well it's certainly not on my copy. Some EE yes but I have never seen any blocking on this title.
I just went and checked both of the scenes you mention again and I see no blocking at all during the Nurse/Loomis scene and on the wall behind Laurie I see some grain but no blocking as I know it. I have an older YAMAHA DVD-C900 5-disc Changer and a Sony KV-40XBR800 40" WEGA.

If it is on the DVD could someone offer some screen captures?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I'd be interested to see some screen caps as well...as I've never noticed any blocking either.

D

DAN NEIR

So what does this new edition have to offer me if I already own the limited ed dvd and the criterion laser?

MattGuyOR

Stunt Coordinator
I read somewhere that it contained the 91 minute theatrical version and the 101 minute extended version (with the scenes shot for television in it). If that's not true, cool. I just want the theatrical version with more bitspace for the picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks