Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Say it ain't so: Kobe Bryant arrested for felony sexual assault?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
124 replies to this topic

#1 of 125 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,536 posts

Posted July 18 2003 - 09:31 AM

Ayup. Now it's time to let the justice system do its thing. Hopefully everyone involved will get a fair trial and the truth will come to light. (I know how naive that sounds but hey, I can still dream)

#2 of 125 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,536 posts

Posted July 19 2003 - 09:22 AM

Quote:
Actually, I think him going to the press conference and admitting to the world that he made a great mistake by having a sexual encounter with this young woman as well as publicly stating his innocence on the rape charge was a great move on his part.
Absolutely what I thought too.

Let's remember this:

He is accused of sexual assault.

That means some sort of sexual activity that she (the alleged victim) was not a willing participant. Kobe and his defense lawyer, or team, (because that's who told him to do the press conference and issue the statement) fired a preemptive shot.

They are admitting they had an affair.

But they are also implying that she was a willing participant, which if true, means that there was no sexual assault.

They aren't trying to say Kobe didn't have any sexual activity with the woman - he must have since the D.A. examined "physical evidence" before filing the charge. But he's saying she was a willing participant, and that is legally not considered sexual assault.

As someone else already said, I think this whole thing is going to boil down to "he said, she said" and it's going to be up to 12 jurors to decide whom to believe.

#3 of 125 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,536 posts

Posted July 21 2003 - 04:03 AM

Quote:
He's obviously too young and immature to have gotten married and had a child. He apparently has no respect or love for his wife, as seen by him shredding his marriage vows after such a short time, or any thoughts about responsibility to his newborn child.
Walk a mile in their shoes...

I am very good friends with a third-rate rock band (who'll remain nameless). Not top-100 Billboard stuff (although they had one hit which stayed near the top for quite a while) and they haven't released an album in years.

Still, when they tour, they get all sorts of hot young things throwing themselves at the bandmembers. And again, these guys aren't even what I'd call celebs, at least not high profile ones. Look, I love my girlfriend of four years, and plan on marrying her. I'm 29. But even I have to admit if I were in the shoes of *just my friends in the band* (not to mention what Kobe must be getting tempted with on a minute-to-minute basis) I sure can't throw stones.

#4 of 125 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,536 posts

Posted July 21 2003 - 08:53 AM

You nailed it, Brian.

We'll see in a few months...

#5 of 125 Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted July 20 2003 - 02:42 AM

I think the accuser is going to face a very tough time in the media and press... and, to be honest, I've always viewed that as a very bad thing.

Having been a victim of violent crime myself, and having worked with people who were sexually harrassed/raped.. I can tell you that their life is very difficult, and it's one of those things that causes many cases to never go to trial. Already, websites have went up basically attacking this girl. Rather sad.

While the law provides that you are innocent until proven guilty, it doesn't provide that the mass attacks on those who make the accussations are fair game. But, time and time again, in every type of sexual harrassment case, we see it happen. It's sad everytime it happens. Whether the person accussed is a sports athlete, business tycoon, politician, or rock star, in the eyes of the law, they are the same as the rest of us.. and the equal to those making the accussation. At the point it goes to trial, it means that someone has been convinced of the accussation.

Years ago, a rape incident occurred with a girl who had been through serious bouts of depression, and as a teen, had tried to kill themselves. None of those events had anything to do with what happened to her that night in February. She was just a random target with a bad past, just like many of us. But for a few weeks in court, she was the victim again, portrayed as a psycho path who was making things up.

Had it not been for the physical evidence, the perpetrator probably would have never served a day.

I'm hoping that Kobe Bryant is innocent. At the same time, I will wait until the court date comes, and listen to the evidence.. and debating the girl's past is not always evidence.
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#6 of 125 Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted July 20 2003 - 10:12 AM

As is the case, physical evidence is important in garnering a conviction. I should have phrased that differently.. had it not been for the type of physical evidence that was present, there would not have been a conviction.

What I find negative about all of these situations is the trial underwhich the victim undergoes. As I've posted elsewhere, the use of the internet to list her home phone #, address, etc. ammounts to nothing but harrassment in an attempt to deride justice. It is used primarily as a scare tactic to prevent people from pressing charges by making what happens to them after the event worse the prosecuting.

I've seen it. I've seen women with enough physical evidence that they could have walked into court and easily had a conviction. But they were scared enough of the societal reprocussions, that people would refer to them negatively, that their past would be exploited.

Thank god in Colorado, none of that information is admissable in court, so for all the posts on her past actions, it's not admissable, and all that can - and should - be evaluated is the events that happened and evidence to prove and disprove them.
My Current DVD-Profiler

#7 of 125 Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted July 21 2003 - 03:26 PM

The basis of a fair trial is to both the accuser and the accused. By releasing so much information about her, like home phone #s, etc. all you do is harrass people and show them the kind of lynch mob reality that causes people not to press charges when it's real. Emberrassing, that's what it is.

It's nice that Kobe has money for private eyes to release every dirty detail about the girl. I'm sure if she had a boatload of cash, or if she knew those who did, you could release boatloads of info on things that he's done.

It's just too bad that some people find it entertaining to release all this pressure information about her as a matter of harrassment.. as it does nothing to prove or disprove the guilt of the accussed.

(EERRTT.. despite USA Today's article, which was retracted, the event occurred June 30.. the article I was reading at the time referred to another case, and due to an editorial error, they did not change names involved. Since USA Today retracted, I do as well Posted Image
My Current DVD-Profiler

#8 of 125 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,527 posts

Posted July 19 2003 - 10:19 AM

I don't know the person you all are talking about, nor anything about the case, except what I read in this thread.

First, I want to express my amazement about some of the things posted here as assumptions, thoughts and fantasies of some members. Do we really need to know the workings of their minds?

Secondly, this reminds me of a somewhat similar case in my country, a few years ago, involving a really great football (= soccer) star.

He was accused by a young woman (legal age) of rape in his apartment, even together with two colleague soccer players, good friends of his.
Newspapers fell all over him and he was dragged through the mud from the start on. In that case, infidelity was not an issue, because all persons involved were young and unmarried. He and his friends insisted that it had been a consenting situation, even that they had felt so happy and wonderful about it.
But he seemed finished. His character was killed even before the trial.

Suddenly the whole case took an unexpected turn, when all charges were instantaneously dropped.

A new witness had appeared. It was a taxi-driver who told the police he had been driving the girl home from the apartment that night. He could easily prove to the satisfaction of the police and the DA that his story was true. He testified not only that she didn't look assaulted in the least then, but even that she boasted she "had been with xxxxx" (the soccer player). She had clearly hinted that she had had sex with him. That was why he remembered the whole thing so well.
Confronted with this witness, the girl withdrew all her accusations.

The soccer player was cleared, but as several persons involved said later, he was extremely lucky (and so were his friends) that this situation happened to be as it was, for he probably wouldn't have had much of a chance had she not been taking a taxi home.

Don't judge until you know all the facts.

Cees

#9 of 125 Christopher P

Christopher P

Supporting Actor

• 564 posts

Posted July 18 2003 - 07:23 AM

Looks like Bryant will be charged

Not too many other details though yet.

Chris

#10 of 125 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,417 posts

Posted July 18 2003 - 11:30 AM

I also want to wait and see what facts come to light. I want to see truth served, and just as important, I want to see justice served.

#11 of 125 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,417 posts

Posted July 18 2003 - 11:53 AM

What a sad commentary on certain aspects of popular culture that being associated with criminal behavior increases one's marketability.

#12 of 125 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,417 posts

Posted July 21 2003 - 07:22 AM

Quote:
Yeah, it's not like people have been publicly falsely accused of rape before.

Yeah, all men accused of rape are automatically guilty if the woman takes it to trial.

#13 of 125 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,417 posts

Posted July 21 2003 - 09:08 PM

Quote:
this event happened in JANUARY and almost went to trial then. This did not happen yesterday.

WHERE did you get the idea that this happened in "January"?? Quote from the San Diego NBC station:

Quote:
The Eagle County sheriff got an arrest warrant for Kobe Bryant on July 4 for the alleged June 30 incident.

Your implication that her ODing was caused by the Kobe incident makes no sense whatsoever, since it occurred months BEFORE June 30.

#14 of 125 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,417 posts

Posted July 21 2003 - 09:41 PM

Here's a very interesting quote from Newsweek:

Quote:
A number of NBA players have said Bryant’s accuser, a college student and former high-school cheerleader, is well known as a basketball groupie.

We all know what kind of behavior a groupie engages in. If true, that would severely undermine the idea that she wasn't interested in consensual sex with one of the NBA's most prominent players. Basketball groupies are a well known phenomenon. Whether it's true of this particular girl remains to be seen.

#15 of 125 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 23,890 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 06 2003 - 04:23 PM

Without knowing the full details of this incident and whether it's true or not, it sounds like another example as to why celebrities need to be very careful in how they deal with the general public because they put themselves at great risk.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#16 of 125 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 23,890 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 08 2003 - 12:41 AM

Patrick I hate professional sports. I hate professional sports stars that believe the world is suppoed to treat them like gods even more. And that's how Kobe acts every time he's back here.

If you hate professional sports and their stars then stop participating in threads such as this one with your negative comments. Your posts in such threads are becoming old and tired for people that enjoy sports and their stars.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#17 of 125 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 23,890 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 18 2003 - 07:53 PM

Actually, I think him going to the press conference and admitting to the world that he made a great mistake by having a sexual encounter with this young woman as well as publicly stating his innocence on the rape charge was a great move on his part. He appeared very humbled in front of the world as he expressed to us that he morally fucked up, but he is not a convicted rapist yet, but just another flawed human being like the rest of us.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#18 of 125 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 23,890 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 19 2003 - 05:50 AM

I'm not sure he did that on his own volition. His back is to the wall.

Once they filed charges against him, it didn't matter who's decision it was that got him to that news conference, it really only matter that he faced the world and declared his innocence for all to see. Whether he's guilty of rape will be decided by the facts of the case in a court of law.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#19 of 125 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 23,890 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 19 2003 - 03:40 PM

The biggest problem Kobe faces right now is that virtually nothing the woman says about the events leading up to the actual sex will have any legal bearing on the case.

Talk about speculation based on no actual facts about this case!

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#20 of 125 Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted July 21 2003 - 10:52 AM

And the next question is......

If there are intrusion-type injuries/etc, then Kobe doesn't know it? Let me rephrase that. If he did make any kind of a mark then wouldn't it be in his best interest to settle this out of court?

Maybe she just wants to put him away. I heard there was a witness this morning, but I can't help but wonder why she didn't scream. I smell fish.

Glenn

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow