Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Equipment in Enclosed Closet...How do I get the Remotes to work?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   JedW

JedW

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted July 10 2003 - 05:05 AM

I am in the middle of building my home theater/family room and my equipment will be located near the front of the room, but inside a closet. So basically I need a system (cheap as possible) to route my remote signals through a wall. Any suggestions?

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   pradike

pradike

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted July 10 2003 - 05:19 AM

I did the same thing in our theater...

Prewiring for a remote IR sensor is a good idea...mine is located "virtually invisible" above my 100" projector screen...they are only the size of 1/2 your pinky finger.

The other end goes through a small multiplex unit into tiny micro-sensors that fit onto each one of your pieces of equipment. Works great.

I think you can check with a high-end Audio/Video store or else online for remote kits like this.

Good luck!

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor

• 560 posts

Posted July 10 2003 - 06:41 AM

Jed, I did the same thing you're doing...check out my site below...I walk through in detail what I did! Posted Image

E

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Bob Hill

Bob Hill

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted July 10 2003 - 06:57 AM

You are looking at an IR repeater setup. That would include and IR receiver of some sort, an IR repeater/distribution block, and an array of IR emmiters to get the IR signal to your various components. You can get the various parts at online stores like smarthome.com.

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   JedW

JedW

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted July 10 2003 - 08:17 AM

Thanks for the replys. Erik, I checked out you're website and that is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again.

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted July 10 2003 - 09:09 AM

Radio Shack has a repeater/converter (IR to RF) for remotes. Bought one may moons ago, worked great for my components in the closet. Don't have it anymore or any info on it though.

Peace Out~Posted Image
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor

• 560 posts

Posted July 10 2003 - 10:31 AM

No problem Jed...I only wish I had invented the darn things and I'd be enjoying retirement! Posted Image

E

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   Mike_Morgan

Mike_Morgan

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted July 10 2003 - 01:38 PM

I suggest you take a look around the web at Xantech's line of IR stuff. I did exactly what you're going to do. All my stuff is in a coat closet near the living room. I pieced together a Xantech system for about $100. Good luck! It's awesome having everything hidden and keeping the remote functionality.

Mike

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker

Second Unit

• 404 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 02:17 AM

Jed,

Another good site to check out is www.smarthome.com. They carry a lot of this IR repeater stuff, and some other solutions. I used a basic solution from them called Powermids for when I'm listening to my outside speakers. These little pyramid things work like a champ. Sounds like you'd be best suited for a IR system though.
DJ_JonnyV

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 04:12 AM

My Tosh. RPTV has an IR Blaster out and I wired up some emitters to it. It works for the most part but I am having some Macro problems that I have not had a chance to trouble shoot. I do plan to upgrade to a Dedicated system (Xantech more than likely)

Cost was:
1.99 for mini-plugs from rat-shack
5.00 for dual emitter from e-bay.
used some cat5 cable to cary signal to closet

Not sure what gear you have but check your display for an IR Blaster out. Might be the least expensive way.

If you do have an IR Blaster out and want some help, drop me a line.
Chris Hovanic
"Go away or I'll replace you with a very small shell script!" :wink:

My DVD Collection
My Home Theater Pictures

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Paul_C

Paul_C

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 04:24 AM

Xantech is one manufacturer of IR equipment.

Here are a couple of sites that have information about IR equipment.

http://www.hometech....ared/index.html

http://www.worthdist.com/

Good luck

Paul.

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 08:07 AM

Jed, I merged these two threads for you.
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky

Producer

• 3,740 posts

Posted July 12 2003 - 03:18 AM

Check this out:

http://www.smarthome.com/8225.html

I picked this up for a small in-cabinet installation and it looks ideal. Small, easy to set up, convenient, and inexpensive. Have not installed it yet so can't comment on its performance but seems great. If you need to accommodate more than six components or require a longer run between the sensor and the equipment consider the other solutions provided above.
"The computer had attained consciousness, only to reject it, claiming it was too unstable an operating system."

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   Drew Eckhardt

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator

• 247 posts

Posted July 12 2003 - 09:47 AM

I used Xantech IR distribution equipment from worthdist.com - their prices are lower than smarthome.com and customer service is at least as good.

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   KenBo

KenBo

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted July 12 2003 - 05:13 PM

Does anyone know of a place in Canada, or Toronto specifically, where some of these things can be purchased? I haven't found anything at Radioshack.

Ken