What's new

Equipment in Enclosed Closet...How do I get the Remotes to work? (1 Viewer)

JedW

Agent
I am in the middle of building my home theater/family room and my equipment will be located near the front of the room, but inside a closet. So basically I need a system (cheap as possible) to route my remote signals through a wall. Any suggestions?

pradike

Stunt Coordinator
I did the same thing in our theater...

Prewiring for a remote IR sensor is a good idea...mine is located "virtually invisible" above my 100" projector screen...they are only the size of 1/2 your pinky finger.

The other end goes through a small multiplex unit into tiny micro-sensors that fit onto each one of your pieces of equipment. Works great.

I think you can check with a high-end Audio/Video store or else online for remote kits like this.

Good luck!

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Jed, I did the same thing you're doing...check out my site below...I walk through in detail what I did! :D

E

Bob Hill

Stunt Coordinator
You are looking at an IR repeater setup. That would include and IR receiver of some sort, an IR repeater/distribution block, and an array of IR emmiters to get the IR signal to your various components. You can get the various parts at online stores like smarthome.com.

JedW

Agent
Thanks for the replys. Erik, I checked out you're website and that is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Radio Shack has a repeater/converter (IR to RF) for remotes. Bought one may moons ago, worked great for my components in the closet. Don't have it anymore or any info on it though.

Peace Out~:D

Mike_Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
I suggest you take a look around the web at Xantech's line of IR stuff. I did exactly what you're going to do. All my stuff is in a coat closet near the living room. I pieced together a Xantech system for about $100. Good luck! It's awesome having everything hidden and keeping the remote functionality.

Mike

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
Jed,

Another good site to check out is www.smarthome.com. They carry a lot of this IR repeater stuff, and some other solutions. I used a basic solution from them called Powermids for when I'm listening to my outside speakers. These little pyramid things work like a champ. Sounds like you'd be best suited for a IR system though.

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
My Tosh. RPTV has an IR Blaster out and I wired up some emitters to it. It works for the most part but I am having some Macro problems that I have not had a chance to trouble shoot. I do plan to upgrade to a Dedicated system (Xantech more than likely)

Cost was:
1.99 for mini-plugs from rat-shack
5.00 for dual emitter from e-bay.
used some cat5 cable to cary signal to closet

Not sure what gear you have but check your display for an IR Blaster out. Might be the least expensive way.

If you do have an IR Blaster out and want some help, drop me a line.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Check this out:

http://www.smarthome.com/8225.html

I picked this up for a small in-cabinet installation and it looks ideal. Small, easy to set up, convenient, and inexpensive. Have not installed it yet so can't comment on its performance but seems great. If you need to accommodate more than six components or require a longer run between the sensor and the equipment consider the other solutions provided above.

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
I used Xantech IR distribution equipment from worthdist.com - their prices are lower than smarthome.com and customer service is at least as good.

KenBo

Grip
Does anyone know of a place in Canada, or Toronto specifically, where some of these things can be purchased? I haven't found anything at Radioshack.

Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks