What's new

MERGED THREAD: New commercial-theater policies re small children. (1 Viewer)

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Yeah, we've had this for at least a year now... they call it "Movies for Mommies" and "Cinebabies" up here.

I wish they had "Movies for Quiet People Who Turn Off Their Cell Phones" showings too. :) I'd easily pay more $$ for a little peace of mind.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
This only works if they ban young kids from all other shows. Otherwise, you just get the 5% of the considerate parents at the special screening, while the other 95% obnoxiously attend the regular shows as usual.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Still 5% less though, right? Certainly can't hurt anything, I don't see how this is anything but positive unless you're in desperate need to see the early morning show at your local multiplex.

James E

Stunt Coordinator
The considerate parents that will attend the special screenings are normally the ones you would not mind in the regular screenings:frowning: . Has anyone thought about a theater which requires a membership?

james (still wating to see The Two Towers:frowning:)

Jason_B_H

Auditioning
http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/200...=home&SEC=news

After living in Kansas City for the last 4 years, my favorite theater has finally implemented a "no children under 6" policy. Also, children under 16 are not allowed unless attended by their parent. This is a really nice theater too. Just about a mile from my house and it's a beautiful theater. Only problem is I'm moving to South Carolina in 3 days. :frowning:

I've had more movies ruined for me because of children crying, yelling, stomping, talking, you name it. I especially like the "no unattended children under 16" rule. No more rowdy kids ruining the movie.

Oh well, just wish they would have done this sooner so I could have enjoyed it.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
http://www.salon.com/mwt/wire/2003/0...ids/index.html

They've been talking about this in the local papers for a while, but it's good to see the national wires are picking it up. Local cinemas here in Kansas City are playing with the idea of banning children.. and catering to an adult audience. The idea is: the Theater is NOT a babysitter.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
I don't know if I like the idea of the theater refusing to show G or PG rated films. Not every movie geared towards adults is rated R.

But other than that, it would be nice to know there's a multiplex out there where you won't have to deal with crying babies and little kids who won't shut the hell up. I know I would've found The Hulk a lot more bearable had I not been listening to a running commentary by a kid sitting right behind me the entire time.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Interesting article. I went to the Cinemark website and checked the showtimes for this theater, and what was interesting to find was that all of the scheduled films were mainstream, despite their claim they were trying to show smaller and foreign films.

As long as they're making money from this (considering that teens make up a lot of the cash for tickets these days) I don't see a problem with it...and I'm sure that there's another theater nearby that DOES allow children.

Also, from the pictures I saw, it looks like a really nice place to see a movie. Anyone from here ever visited the place?

Jason

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
And how would all of you feel if you couldn't have seen Jaws, Star Wars, or Indiana Jones, or Back To The Future or whatever when you were a kid? A long time ago you used to be the kid yelling at the screen or kicking the back of someone's seat. Though I don't really know about the drop-off factor. My parents weren't dropping me off at the theater when I was 7 or 8. They went with me.

I do wish theaters would enforce a ban on kids after 9:00pm. When I was at a 12:30 am show last weekend, I saw multiple 2-3 year old kids dragged to the theater which should be some sort of child abuse. Why would you take a 2 year old to a movie that gets out after 2:00AM ??

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
And how would all of you feel if you couldn't have seen Jaws, Star Wars, or Indiana Jones, or Back To The Future or whatever when you were a kid?
I didn't see them. My parents only started taking me to commercial theaters when I was old enough to be BE GODDAMMN QUIET DURING THE MOVIE! ;)

I've managed to grow up with no psyhcological scarring, so believe me, those kids will be fine. This is a great move, in my opinion.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Overall, nice. But I agree about the G- and PG-rated films issue: 2001 is about as adult a film as there is, on an intellectual level. Yet it's a G-rated film.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
This thread might be merged with another current thread sort of dealing with a similar issue: banning children below a specific age from certain commercial theaters. Please stand by.

Jason_B_H

Auditioning
Also, from the pictures I saw, it looks like a really nice place to see a movie. Anyone from here ever visited the place?
It is a really nice place. What you see is only half of the theater. On the left side of the building (you can't see it in the picture) there is a glass walkway that crosses above the street to the other half of the theater which is in a different building across the street. Everything about the theater is beautiful. The inside is really nice. Painted murals on the ceiling with twinkling stars etc... The sound systems are really good too. My favorite theater to go to in Kansas City. Especially since it's only about a mile away.

The theater itself is located in a part of Kansas City called "the Plaza". It is an outdoor shopping area with a ton of restaurants and shops which is modeled after Seville Spain. It reminds me of Rodeo drive in California.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Out here we have an independent theater chain called "The Ritz". In New Jersey they operate one 16 plex and in Philadelphia they have 3 theaters within walking distance of each other running a total of 12 screens in the city. They have the same rules as this Cinemark regarding children and content. I'm sure they show G rated films (they had The Straight Story) but usually they show more adult fare. The New Jersey theater does show some mainstream Hollywood films, but it's an alternative, where adults can go and be away from the teens. They usually have top notch projection, but they don't play the films to loud, sadly. And these theaters are wildly successful. The Ritz in Philly has been around for years, and just try getting a decent parking spot at the 16 plex on most nights.

Neil

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I apologize if this merged thread appears a bit disjointed, but I think you can follow the overall gist.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks