What's new

surround speakers in dolby prologic (1 Viewer)

Jaden Wong

Agent
right now I have my xbox plugged into the reciever through the red and white plugs...this means im not going to get real surround sound.....
but when its on dolby pro logic mode.... how much sound should be coming out of the surround speakers.... i mean i know they work but should i be hearing alot of sound from surround???.... i have to place my ear near the surround speakers.... or is this how dolby pro logic works????

scott>sau

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, Pro Logic is not loud and dramatic like Dolby Digital, or Pro Logic II. Pro Logic is bandwidth limited, (not full-range) and it is mono. Dolby Digital is full-bandwidth and discrete. Contact Dolby Labs at www.dolby.com for more detail.

Jaden Wong

Agent
can i get dolby pro logic II with just using red and white plugs into the reciever??

Another question..... i use the audio out plugs from the TV plugged into the reciever.... does this mean i can watch TV in dolby surround or dolby pro logic II or it depends what signal is coming from the show im watching??

is red and white plugs plugged in considered analog aye??

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Jaden.

Yes, ProLogic is 'hidden' inside a stereo/2-channel/Red & White plugs.

As far as volume level, your receiver lets you adjust the rear volume up/down as an offset to the master volume. (This means you can add some volume if you want).

You should use a SPL meter and test-tones to get all your speakers to produce the same volume at your listening position. There is a FAQ that explains all this. (See the tiny link at the top of the basics page).

And yes, if you feed your receiver from your TV, and the show encodes the sound with ProLogic, you will get pro-logic sound.

(I dont know about Oz, but up here you get nearly everything from the center speaker with the exception of laugh/applause tracks that suddenly come out the L/R speakers. It's almost not worth it for ordinary TV watching. But go ahead and experiement.)

The Red/White plugs are analog.

Note: Does your receiver offer DSP modes like "Jazz" "Hall", "Enhanced"? These are artifical special effects which will cause your receiver to take some sounds and put them to the rear speakers, add delay, boost some volume, etc. Totally artifical, but chances are one or two of them will enhance your gaming.

scott>sau

Stunt Coordinator
You can only receive Dolby Pro Logic II if you have a receiver that processes it.

Agustin

Agent
Why dont buy the HD Pack, comes with one optical output for your receiver, so you can play the games with DD 5.1

By the way, play HALO on 5.1, its great

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks