What's new

Need a DVD Player for new HDTV (1 Viewer)

HanLee

Grip
Well I just took the plunge into the HD world. I just ordered a Panasonic PT-47wx53 HDTV (should be here next week). So now I need to match it with a DVD player. I need your help! I'm looking to get a progressive-scan player for around 200-250 dollars. I was looking at the Panny RP91 and I saw it at onecall for 320. That price is really pushing it for my budget. I'm looking for a really good picture quality since most of the viewing on the HDTV will be for DVD's and gaming with all 3 nextgen consoles. I don't plan on watching too much TV with this set (maybe an hour a day at most). I don't need DVD-A nor SACD or any other features. Just a great DVD player with good PQ for around 200-250 dollars. Any suggestions? Thanks guys. Just wanted to say how much I really appreciate this forum. :)

-Han

HanLee

Grip
Well, I did a little more reading. And de-interlacing came up. Should I be looking for good de-interlacing capabilities as well? What exactly is it? Can I have a good PQ and good de-interlacing in a DVD player? Basically, can I get the cake and eat too? :) Or do I have to pick my poison.

thanks again.

-Han

Ryan Patterson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi HanLee,

Congratulations on your purchase! I hope you get to fully enjoy your new Panny TV.

There is an excellent article on deinterlacing here. You can surf their site for progressive DVD player reviews from the last 3 years. (This year's review is apparently coming out soon).

Do you have an interlaced DVD player from an older setup? If so, you may want to use that for now until the new reviews come out. Depending on the deinterlacing quality of your TV, you may not notice much difference between that and a progressive scan DVD player. I have a Sony KP-43HT20 with an interlaced Panasonic RV-41 player and needless to say I'm in no rush to buy a progressive player. (Incidentally, I borrowed a friend's Panny RP-82 and found that the only improvement was the elimination of 1 frame of combing for bad edits from TV shows).

Hope this helps!
Ryan

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Since the new Panny RPTVs (wx53's) should have DVI/HDCP input, you might want to get the Samsung HD931 (

HanLee

Grip
Thanks guys. My old player is a Panasonic DV-333. Yes I also read about the samsung and bravo. I think I'll wait a bit and let the TV handle the de-interlacing for now. I would like to fully utilize the DVI connection.

Thanks again. Can't wait to see the new TV.

Another question. When I calibrate my TV should I just use the basic user features of the TV with an AVIA DVD, or try to get into the service menu of the TV as well(if it even has one. Haven't looked into it yet.)?

Thanks in advance.

-Han

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
That model is too new, so you'll have to wait to get a good answer. However, my guess is that if you want fine convergence, you'll need to go into service menu. Also, you may possibly find a need to reduce red push and/or eyeball the greyscale although neither was generally needed on the recent Panny's -- was needed in the 2001/2002 models. And of course, there might be other odd things to fix in some cases.

And besides service menu, you may find a need to tweak the TV in other ways, eg. E/M focus, but all this is just par for the course w/ most RPTVs.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks