I am given a budget of $600 per computer (no monitor or software)
I've come up with the following (ALL from one online reseller NEWEGG:
- ENLIGHT Model# EN-72500AZ (BEIGE) ATX MID-TOWER CASE w/ 300Watt POWER SUPPLY - RETAIL AMD Approved & Pentium 4 Ready One Year Warranty. $58
- Lite On 52x24x52 CDRW Model LTR-52246S OEM $43
- WD WESTERN DIGITAL "SPECIAL EDITION" 80GB 7200RPM EIDE HARD DRIVE MODEL # WD800JB - OEM, DRIVE ONLY $82
- GEIL DDR RAM 512MB PC-3200 Value 400MHz Ultra- CAS 2.5, 2T CommandGL5123200B Value. DDR400 $69
- Asus Motherboard for AMD Athlon XP/Duron Processors, Model# A7N8X Deluxe Retail $128
- AMD ATHLON XP 2500+ "Barton" 333 FSB PROCESSOR CPU- RETAIL $94
- Transcend ATI Radeon 7000 32MB CRT+DVI+TV 4X AGP - RETAIL $35
This appears to be a lasting computer with a lot of options for under $600. By the way, they already have Windows XP and Office XP. They also have CRT monitors already so need to buy those, and no need to buy speakers. I'm replacing the keyboard and mouse because the ones they have are pretty worn out.
The only concern I have is if the Radeon 7000 AGP4x will fit in the AGP Pro/8X slot of the A7N8X motherboard. Could anyone tell me if it will fit?