What's new

I'm ready to get a HDTV set. Is extended warranty needed? (1 Viewer)

Christopher Lyn

Stunt Coordinator
Reading this forum and the AVS Forum, I have decided to get one of the Hitachi F500 series HDTV sets. Up here in Canada, I can get them at the local Future Shop (Best Buy for my American counterparts).

I was wondering if extended warranty is needed for RPTV. I am not one for the extended warranty anyhow.

However, with such an expensive purchase, what is the likelyhood of something going "wrong" with the television where I would need extended warranty? Does a price of around $400.00 CDN for 5 years extended warranty justify the repairs that "might" be needed?

I never get extended warranty. I must have been tired or something because I usually turn off my mind when the sales person goes into their big speeck about extended warranty..but this time I listened...now look.

I just started doing research on HDTV sets, so I don't know much about their reliability.

Any help would be welcome. Thanks.

JoeHard

Stunt Coordinator
I know many will disagree but I feel extended warranties are a ripoff. The reason retailers push them so hard is because they are big profit makers.

Kevin Nolan

Stunt Coordinator
It REALLY depends on what you spend on one I just had one retailer give me a good deal on a Mits WS-55511 and then I asked him about a 5YR extended and he wanted $450 well that's too damn much.
I bought a Hitachi (that I'm still wondering about) with a 5YR for only $180 that seems reasonable to me.
Remember there are other things that happen like spiders and webs...you can call for a "service call" for some reason and have a compentent person "service" the set and then ask to clean the unit for free as part of the service.
A RPTV is the ONLY thing I would buy a extended warranty on because of the investment but only if the price is reasonable echoing the sentiments of the previous poster they can be a rip off and profit builder...buyer beware!
Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks