Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

I'm ready to get a HDTV set. Is extended warranty needed?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Christopher Lyn

Christopher Lyn

Stunt Coordinator

• 124 posts

Posted June 10 2003 - 12:59 PM

Reading this forum and the AVS Forum, I have decided to get one of the Hitachi F500 series HDTV sets. Up here in Canada, I can get them at the local Future Shop (Best Buy for my American counterparts). I was wondering if extended warranty is needed for RPTV. I am not one for the extended warranty anyhow. However, with such an expensive purchase, what is the likelyhood of something going "wrong" with the television where I would need extended warranty? Does a price of around $400.00 CDN for 5 years extended warranty justify the repairs that "might" be needed? I never get extended warranty. I must have been tired or something because I usually turn off my mind when the sales person goes into their big speeck about extended warranty..but this time I listened...now look. I just started doing research on HDTV sets, so I don't know much about their reliability. Any help would be welcome. Thanks.
-----------------------
" We Must Fall Back On The Old Axiom That
When Other Contingencies Fail, Whatever Remains
However Improbable, Must Be The Truth."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle _______________________________________

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   JoeHard

JoeHard

Stunt Coordinator

• 136 posts

Posted June 10 2003 - 02:03 PM

I know many will disagree but I feel extended warranties are a ripoff. The reason retailers push them so hard is because they are big profit makers.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Kevin Nolan

Kevin Nolan

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted June 10 2003 - 03:04 PM

It REALLY depends on what you spend on one I just had one retailer give me a good deal on a Mits WS-55511 and then I asked him about a 5YR extended and he wanted $450 well that's too damn much. I bought a Hitachi (that I'm still wondering about) with a 5YR for only $180 that seems reasonable to me. Remember there are other things that happen like spiders and webs...you can call for a "service call" for some reason and have a compentent person "service" the set and then ask to clean the unit for free as part of the service. A RPTV is the ONLY thing I would buy a extended warranty on because of the investment but only if the price is reasonable echoing the sentiments of the previous poster they can be a rip off and profit builder...buyer beware! Kevin
He's dead Jim, you take his tricorder I'll get his wallet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users