What's new

Wife giving birth soon; should I get her a gift? (1 Viewer)

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
I really suck at buying gifts. But I feel like I should do something, as this is our first child. What is a traditional gift for these situations?

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
A kiss?

I hope you're not buying a gift out of guilt. :)

I thought gifts were handed out at baby showers. Hmmm.

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
I did not get my wife any gift.... unless standing by her side for 5-1/2 hours of hard labor and supporting her as needed is a gift.

The best gift you can give her is to be the best husband and father you can. I doubt she could ask for much more.

Enjoy everything... that baby will change your lives for the better :D

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Get her a dozen red roses delivered to her hospital room. That's what I did and I think it's pretty traditional.

Denward

Supporting Actor
When we had our first child 18 months ago, I bought my wife diamond earrings. However, I'm in a higher tax bracket than most people.

Buy her something that says, "You're beautiful. Even though you're a mother now, you're still my bride."

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
She got pregnant by you, isn't that gift enough :)

Actually I'd buy the kid a gift. You know, the usual. If its a boy a football. If its a girl a doll of some kind.

Stacie

Stunt Coordinator
I second Brian's suggestion. My sister-in-law is having her first child any day now (she's actually eleven days overdue). She was immensely cheered and touched when her husband gave her a lovely mother-and-child gold and diamond pendant just before her due date. She has not taken it off since.

If you think your wife would appreciate something like that, I say, go for it. I think it's a lovely idea to make a gesture acknowledging what she has been through (and will go through) to give birth to your child. Most first-time mothers are (justifiably) terrified of what labor and childbirth will entail. Anything you can do to help her through that should be appreciated.

KyleS

Screenwriter
I didn't with our first but I am going to get my wife a nice necklace for her second. I am going to get her birthstone in a larger stone flanked by both of our boys birth stones. I don't feel like I have to but she sure did go through hell and its something that will allow her to always remember.

I second the recommendation of the flowers.

KyleS

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
Yes, buy her a gift. She will be running the emotional gamut after the birth, and a gift will help. I got my wife two things, one was a necklace with a locket attached for a picture of your new child. You can't go wrong there.

I also bought her a ring with her birthstone, you don't have to go as far as that if you choose not too.

A son was the greatest gift I have ever gotten, and after all the work my wife did to bring him into this world, jewelry was the least I can do. :)

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
So anything from nothing to diamond earrings, huh!? Seriously there is some great advice here. Thanks. I was thinking jewelry, but I can always do that for our 2nd - like KyleS - but I will check out those gift baskets as well. Or at least get her some flowers. Or a portable DVD player for the hospital.... yeah...

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
Flowers in the hospital, flowers when you come home and at the next available milestone (your anniversary, her birthday, holiday, whatever) get her a top notch gold/silver necklace or charm bracelet with the little gold pendant with guy or girl baby on it engraved with there name and birthdate on the back, she will love it.

Congrats.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
How about a day at the spa. Once you're comfortable with being with the baby by yourself, she'll be able to treat herself.

Devin U

Second Unit
I did the spa thing for my wife. There is nothing she enjoyed more than a few hours to herself.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
Just wanted to tell you congratulations. I would say any thing is better than nothing just to show you care. Flowers are small but very meaningful to women.

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks everyone! The Dr. told her she is 3cm dilated yesterday. No contractions yet, but we are thinking she might not make it to the 21st (her official due-date). I'm getting kind of nervous.:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks