What's new

Help! Panasonic HDTV cutting off sides of image (1 Viewer)

John Stone

Supporting Actor
I have a Panasonic PT-53WX42 HDTV and a Panasonic DVD-RP62 DVD player hooked up to it via one of the component inputs. While watching the new "Terminator 2" Extreme DVD, I noticed that when the Terminator is scanning objects (red-tinted image with miscellaneous data in white lettering), the image is cut off quite a bit, chopping the text off on both sides! When I check out the same DVD on my computer, not only is nothing cut off and all the text is visible, there is also some space between the edge of the lettering and the edges of the screen! Of course I know about overscan, but this is ridiculous.

I have both service manuals and am pretty familiar with service mode (which should not be confused with "I know what I'm doing in service mode" ;)). Anyway, when I enter service mode and try to adjust the screen size using "HWID" and so on, it shrinks the screen and screws up the convergence, but no additional picture information is exposed at all! I have all my settings written down, so I'm not afraid to play around in service mode. No matter what I try I just can't get any more picture exposed--it's driving me nuts. I realize that I will have to have some amount of overscan in order for the convergence to be ok, but why can't I get any more of the horizontal image exposed, convergence issues aside? I'm obviously far from an expert in this arena, and would love to know what the problem is -- it's really driving me crazy. Please let me know if more information is needed to diagnose the problem. Thanks in advance!

Hugo

Stunt Coordinator
Hi John, if convergence doesn't fix your problem, could it be that you're using zoom mode or something like it? Are the setting of your DVD player set to widescreen instead of 4:3? Try using the AVIA or VE disc and check your overscan. Hope that helps.

Hugo

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
It's been a while since I've had my hands on a Panny, but can't you go into 'Coarse' convergence and adjust the width and height there? I'm pretty sure you can. Pressing the '5' button on the remote should reveal the image underneath so you can confirm that you're affecting the image.

This too will mess up your convergence though.

John Stone

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the replies so far.

Hugo & VicQ

No, I'm in "full" mode. :)

JohnnyG, I'm going to try to adjust it from the "coarse" service menu later tonight. I thought I tried there already, but at this point I can't be 100% sure. I've got my fingers crossed, I'll let you know what happens.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
John,

You didn't mention using AVIA to check overscan (or anything else) even after Hugo suggested it. Have you actually checked using AVIA to make sure your overscan is normal (say ~5% all around)? Also, use it to check geometry and such while you're at it.

You really should do these checks BEFORE messing around w/ the service menu.

_Man_

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
He's talking about an HD image which has a seperate convergence/geometry memory in the TV. AVIA would tell him nothing in this case.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
He's talking about an HD image which has a seperate convergence/geometry memory in the TV. AVIA would tell him nothing in this case.
No, he's talking about an image that originates on DVD (specifically, T2: Extreme Edition). The AVIA DVD will most certainly be informative on the degree of overscan.

M.

John Stone

Supporting Actor
I did check overscan using Avia, and it's 5% all the way around, so I guess that's just the way it's going to be with the T2 disc. It really is jarring to see the text cut off though. Oh well. Also, the DVD player is, of course, set to widescreen mode.

JohnnyG, adjusting the size worked in coarse mode (I must have forgot to try that), but as I suspected anything less than 5% start to mess with the convergence too much. :frowning: Also, Michael is correct--this is a DVD image, not a HD image.

Thanks for the information everyone.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Sorry 'bout the mix-up on my part. With all the buzz regarding the Microsoft HD version, I got confused!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks