-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

***Official The Brute Force Xbox Thread***

Xbox

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
117 replies to this topic

#1 of 118 Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter

• 1,220 posts

Posted May 27 2003 - 03:18 AM

Is anybody getting this game today or tomorrow? I guess the lucky people will be able to pick it up today while everyone else will be getting it tomorrow.

I'm thinking about getting this game, but I'm waiting for a couple of reviews first.

OXM in Australia gave this game a 9.4, which I believe was the best score since Halo. The IGN review *should* be up tonight.

Thoughts anyone?

#2 of 118 Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor

• 996 posts

Posted May 27 2003 - 03:28 AM

I have it on pre-order. I'm very excited about this game, and know that I will love it. I don't get too carried away in the hype, ala The Matrix. I'm having very much fun with it, despite the negative reviews. I have a feeling I'll enjoy Brute Force very much. Posted Image

#3 of 118 Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted May 27 2003 - 03:42 AM

The game sounds very strong, but I'm probably holding out for mostly online games for the XBox at this point (except titles where the primary emphasis is on single-player). If a game is a FPS or a racer, they are going to have to sell me real hard to get me to buy it.

#4 of 118 Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky

Producer

• 3,740 posts

Posted May 27 2003 - 05:27 AM

Is this actually being released? I thought it was still being delayed into June? I'm with Rick, however. Been stung too much by hype without substance. But I've really been looking forward to this title. Actually any 3rd person game is drawing my attention more and more. I'm getting tired of first person stuff and the sickness it induces. Posted Image

I'm going to make this the official thread as it is likely to gain a lot of attention.
"The computer had attained consciousness, only to reject it, claiming it was too unstable an operating system."

#5 of 118 Dave.A.C

Dave.A.C

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted May 27 2003 - 05:39 AM

All indications are that it's shipping today, I've seen postings of the game being availabe in some game stores this evening (more correctly stated, somebody called a store where they pre-ordered BF, the store said that it is in and will be available for pick-up this evening).

I'll be checking the place I pre-ordered on my way home from work, just in case.

#6 of 118 Joel Hurley

Joel Hurley

Stunt Coordinator

• 172 posts

Posted May 27 2003 - 05:44 AM

Jay,
-It is supposed to be released today from all I've seen. To be sure I checked EBGames.com and they have it listed as releasing today.
-I'm excited,... though I must admit I was hoping it might turn out to be playable over Live. I'd love to play co-op over Live , that'd be nice, but I'll take a great game anyway I can. Hopefully it does live up to the hype!

#7 of 118 Dave.A.C

Dave.A.C

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted May 27 2003 - 06:06 AM

I'm hoping that DA put some care and thought into the netcode so that this thing plays smoothly via tunneling software. Co-op on Live would be excellent, co-op with efficient netcode via Xbconnect would be really dang good, co-op with Halo's netcode via Xbconnect would be good.

#8 of 118 Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor

• 932 posts

Posted May 27 2003 - 06:25 AM

My local EB guy told me that it -might- be in later tonight; say around 8:30. Definitely tomorrow though.

Pre-orderd it in full. Here's hoping this isn't another Matrix. Posted Image
Better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it.

#9 of 118 Joel Mack

Joel Mack

Screenwriter

• 2,321 posts

Posted May 27 2003 - 07:29 AM

Quote:
It is supposed to be released today from all I've seen. To be sure I checked EBGames.com and they have it listed as releasing today.

A reminder that EBGames.com lists SHIP dates, meaning the game generally arrives in-store (and on doorsteps of Priority Overnight shipping customers) on the following day.

#10 of 118 Leroy

Leroy

Second Unit

• 306 posts

Posted May 27 2003 - 07:38 AM

Every release date I've seen advertised for B&M's states the release date as the 29th (Thursday). I'm hoping my bud who pre-ordered at EB online will get it before then so I can get some impressions before dropping $50!
I rule all that I survey...and that ain't much.

#11 of 118 BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted May 27 2003 - 07:53 AM

Quote:
Pre-orderd it in full. Here's hoping this isn't another Matrix.

On a tangent (though a related one Posted Image ), I don't understand this "hoping"... If you're unsure of whether it's good or not, why slap $50 down for it? Wait a week - it'll still be there in the shops, it may even be on sale at the likes of BB, and you'll have had a chance to get a week's worth of feedback from people.

I just do not understand the desire to slap down $50 on something I haven't personally played or gotten good feedback from.

According to a thread on GA, mags/websites just got full playable builds for BF on Thursday.
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

#12 of 118 Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor

• 932 posts

Posted May 27 2003 - 08:20 AM

Quote:
and you'll have had a chance to get a week's worth of feedback from people.

...but then we get into the old "try if for yourself, don't just listen to what people around here say", arguement. Posted Image

Besides, I've been reading about Brute Force since the very 1st crumbs of info came out, 'till now. Through screenshots, movies, and previews of the game, I'm pretty certain I'm going to enjoy it since it looks great, is my kind of sci-fi shit, and it's team based combat. However, I still have to hope that it's not a 'hypeturd' like The Matrix (imho).

#13 of 118 Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted May 27 2003 - 09:30 AM

Quote:
try if for yourself, don't just listen to what people around here say

By that argument, I'd go broke...I'd have to buy every FPS, platform, racing, rail shooter, tennis, golf, strategy, etc. game just because I like some FPS, platform, etc. games.

There's so much crap coming out these days I have to rely heavily on reviews and such. In order of usefulness to me:

1) Reviews from like-minded gamers at HTF.
2) Reviews from serious gamers at sites like Penny Arcade.
3) Reviews from magazines and 'pro' websites like IGN, Gamespot. Getting less useful here. Some of these guys suck game publisher **** because they care more about trying to get a job in the game industry than true criticism.
4) Previews from the aforementioned. Just about worthless.

#14 of 118 BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted May 27 2003 - 09:38 AM

Quote:
...but then we get into the old "try if for yourself, don't just listen to what people around here say", arguement.

I thoroughly understand that, and I'm a big fan of that same statement... But I /still/ don't drop $50 on every title "on the offchance" it'll be good whilst worrying it'll be utter rubbish (as you've admitted you're doing with BF).

If I'm that concerned with a game's quality, I wait & see. But that's just me - I don't spend anywhere near as much cash on games as some folk here and am less keen to buy the latest & greatest.
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

#15 of 118 Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit

• 297 posts

Posted May 27 2003 - 09:57 AM

Quote:
I just do not understand the desire to slap down $50 on something I haven't personally played or gotten good feedback from.

I would agree totally...if it wasn't for eBay. I bought the Clone Wars and RTCW both on release dates. I sold the Clone Wars on eBay within 24 hours for $43 and RTCW last night for $42. I'm willing to take the risk on a game that looks great to me and lose $8 or so in the process if it turns out to be a dud. Unfortunately, the last 2 games I bought haven't done much for me and I've sold them, but buying an anticipated game on release date is just too tempting to pass up.

Funny that I never end up selling an Nintendo game right off the bat.........but that's another thread for another day.Posted Image

#16 of 118 Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor

• 932 posts

Posted May 27 2003 - 10:00 AM

It's cool. I'm filthy rich anyhow. Posted Image

#17 of 118 Scott Bourden

Scott Bourden

Second Unit

• 458 posts

Posted May 27 2003 - 10:29 AM

Just came accross an early Brute Force review. They should all be coming out rather soon.

Looks like they loved it, worth a read.

http://www.gdxbox.co....3&reviewid=226

#18 of 118 Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter

• 1,220 posts

Posted May 27 2003 - 10:56 AM

I just picked up Brute Force from Gamestop. I'll put in an hour and report back with my impressions.

#19 of 118 BryanK

BryanK

Stunt Coordinator

• 83 posts

Posted May 27 2003 - 11:08 AM

On my way to pike it up now. There was a message left for me that it is in, come pike it up. (EB Games)
Also that they are offering an additional 25% added to any games I want to trade in towards it. (Moto GP) now that I have 2nd.

#20 of 118 CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E

Screenwriter

• 2,171 posts

Posted May 27 2003 - 11:46 AM

Rob you sold RTCW?

Back to Video Gaming

Forum Nav Content I Follow