Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Question about Samsung 3096

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   John Kilroy

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator

• 196 posts

Posted May 17 2003 - 08:13 AM

I bought the referenced television "open box" without the remote. One thing that really annoys me is the way I have to select component inputs. I programmed a universal remote for this tv, and when I switch inputs, it toggles between av1, av2, svideo, etc., but no component. The audio feed from my component input shows up on the "av1" and "av2" inputs, but with no picture. To select a component input I have to manually go through the menuing system and choose the component input from the Channel menu.

So two questions:

1. Is this how everyone using this TV has to select component inputs? Anybody found any workarounds (discrete codes, etc.)?

2. Should I purchase the remote ($50)? I only want to if it allows me to toggle through the component inputs. I presume some of you have the remote and can let me know.

It's the office television, a minimal setup, and I'm using the tv as a switcher rather than adding a receiver to an already small space. It's really cramping my style to have to do 9 button pushes to change the input on my television. I switch inputs a lot (satellite, DVD, Xbox, PS2).

Any thoughts you have would help. Thanks.
I'm John Kilroy, and I approved this message.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor

• 765 posts

Posted May 18 2003 - 05:35 AM

1. On the original remote there are seperate buttons for A/V and Component selection, but as far as discrete selection of a particular input there aren't any.

2. No, I wouldn't. What you could do is take your Universal remote to say Circuit City or Best Buy and copy the IR codes there.
Master Poe: Close your eyes. What do you hear?
Caine: I hear the water. I hear the birds.
Master Poe: Do you hear your own heart beat.
Caine: No.
Master Poe: Do you hear the grasshopper, which is at your feet.Caine: Old man, how is it that you hear these things?Master Poe: Young man, how is it...

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   John Kilroy

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator

• 196 posts

Posted May 20 2003 - 07:14 AM

Does the component selection button cycle exclusively between the component inputs, and the AV selection among the AV inputs? I visited two Best Buys, and unfortunately, there are no more 3096s, and no more remotes. I looked on the remotes for the newer monitors in the series, but I didn't see the component selection button. Otherwise, your code-stealing idea is a very good one.

Does anyone have one of the newer Samsung Dynaflat monitors for which the remote has a component input select?

Thanks.
I'm John Kilroy, and I approved this message.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor

• 765 posts

Posted May 21 2003 - 04:31 AM

Yes, component cycles component inputs exclusively. The same applies to A/V selection.
Master Poe: Close your eyes. What do you hear?
Caine: I hear the water. I hear the birds.
Master Poe: Do you hear your own heart beat.
Caine: No.
Master Poe: Do you hear the grasshopper, which is at your feet.Caine: Old man, how is it that you hear these things?Master Poe: Young man, how is it...