-

Photo

For all mankind CC a good blind buy?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 Kristoffer

Kristoffer

Second Unit

• 460 posts

Posted May 15 2003 - 05:03 AM

Thinking about picking this up, is it any good?
Hows PG and Sound?
I bought Tokyo Olympiad and loved it ! So I thought I better get some documentaries for my collection.

#2 of 11 Kenneth Vestergaard

Kenneth Vestergaard

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted May 15 2003 - 05:33 AM

It is surely one of the best documentaries I've ever seen. Picture quality is fine considering the sources, but take into account that the sources are not exactly reference quality (for obvious reasons).

In fact, I'd say that because I am quite interested in space exploration and stuff like that, it is probably the best and most fascinating documentary in my collection.

Unless you're one of those who's living in a fantasy world and believes that mankind never set foot in the moon (yeah right), I'm sure this will be a much appreciated addition to your collection.

I can't recommend it highly enough. Posted Image

#3 of 11 Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted May 15 2003 - 05:47 AM

It's excellent. An even better documentary is PBS's To the Moon, which delves into actual historical detail. For All Mankind takes a more evocative, atmospheric approach, compositing all the manned lunar flights into one homogenius whole.

The PBS documentary, however, originally aired as an extended episode of NOVA, and has been available on DVD for three or so years. It's preferable if you seek to learn more about Project Apollo and the geopolitical forces that led to race to the Moon. (It includes some of the first-ever footage of the long-secret Soviet equivalent of the Saturn V, the monstrous N-1 launch vehicle.) Fine PQ.

#4 of 11 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted May 15 2003 - 06:16 AM

This is one of those recommendations that boils down to "I want to buy this, can anyone give me a reason not to?"...right?

Get it.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#5 of 11 Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted May 15 2003 - 11:26 AM

As a matter of fact, I bought this disc (second hand) about a week ago without ever seeing the movie, and I absolutely loved it. Posted Image

Amazing footage, and nicely edited together.
In fact, the only annoying thing for me was the fact that the "Also Sprach Zarathustra" theme they played, didn't resemble the 2001: ASO version at all.... Posted Image

I also wish that director Al Reinert would have had a little bit more to say on the commentary track, although the (many) things said by Apollo 17 commander Eugene Cernan were also pretty interesting.
E-Mail | Collection

#6 of 11 Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton

Lead Actor

• 7,588 posts

Posted May 15 2003 - 04:53 PM

Yes, this is a doc that has that emotional touch to it due to how the material is presented. It's more about putting you in touch with the experience than the details, not that it neglects them. Just consider Jack's comments I guess.

#7 of 11 Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted May 16 2003 - 02:17 AM

I love this DVD. But then I’m pretty easy for anything reasonably good on the space program.

For anyone interested in our journey to the moon, this is a must.

So far, I’ve not seen a comment on Al Bean’s paintings and his commentaries on them. Very insightful.
¡Time is not my master!

#8 of 11 Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted May 16 2003 - 04:42 AM

Get it. You won't be disappointed.

There are better documentaries. Kirk Wolfinger's "To The Moon" has been mentioned.

There are DVD's on similar subjects with better PQ...

But "For All Mankind" is an excellent pseudo-documentary, giving you the feel of an amalgamized Apollo mission from start to finish. Given the source of the images, the PQ is excellent. This DVD is one of the only places you'll see so many famous film clips gathered in one place.

This skips over Apollo 13 (a few images from the mission, but no real mention of the disaster). See "Apollo 13: To The Edge and Back" for an excellent documentary on that mission (VHS only, I believe).

-Scott

#9 of 11 Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted May 16 2003 - 05:08 AM

To the Edge and Back, which is excellent, was also aired originally on PBS's NOVA.

#10 of 11 Keith M.

Keith M.

Second Unit

• 489 posts

Posted May 16 2003 - 06:21 AM

In my opinion, there are plenty of more recent indepth documentaries available on our space program. The picture quality is poor and the sound is mediocre.

If you are one who is drawn to all that is Criterion, then go for it...otherwise, skip it...

#11 of 11 PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom

Second Unit

• 447 posts

Posted May 16 2003 - 02:56 PM

I bought it blind and am very happy I did. Highly recommended.

Pieter